Using a GO gauge to set a sizing die?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Iggy

Using a GO gauge to set a sizing die?

#1 Postby Iggy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:28 pm

G'day all

I have an RCBS press with Lee Deluxe die set in .223 Rem. I have set the dies as per the instructions sheet. I have also just received a Forster .223 Rem GO gauge 1.4636".

My questions is: "Is it possible to set the dies using the GO gauge?" Maybe a better question would be: "Is it advisable to set the dies using the GO gauge?"

I have used the dies to reload some VRA Winchester .223 Rem ammo that was fired in my rifle. There is a definite bumping back of the shoulder when using the full length resizing die. My aim would be to reduce the bumping back of the case shoulder to the minimum required rather than possibly over-working the brass. I also have 300 Lapua cases for my F Class Standard shooting and want to maximise its reload potential.

Any thoughts/advice.
Iggy
Maffra VIC

KHGS

#2 Postby KHGS » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:12 pm

Your go gauge may not work if your headspace is on the tight side of tolerance, as it does not allow for brass spring-back, this spring-back changes as the brass ages too.
What you need is a cartridge headspace gauge, your gunsmith will be able to turn one up for you, they are quite simple to make. Using the gauge with a good set of vernier calipers, you set your die to "bump" the shoulder of your cases .002". As the brass ages you will need to adjust your die to maintain the .002" shoulder bump.
Keith H.

Iggy

#3 Postby Iggy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Thanks Keith...I had similar responses on another forum. What I intend to do is to carefully adjust the full length resizing die to minimise the shoulder bump but still allow the cartridge to chamber correctly. From initial investigation, it appears that I am moving the shoulder back quite a bit more than .002".
Iggy

Maffra VIC

Return to “Equipment & Technical”