Eric Cortina on annealing

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Tim L

Re: Eric Cortina on annealing

#16 Postby Tim L » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:20 pm

Rowboat wrote:I also agree that you can over anneal with a flame torch. However, getting back to Erik's comment on the window between annealed and over annealed as ranging between 6 and 10 seconds. Meaning using his equipment after 10 seconds the cases are toast or over baked That's a big window given that as far as I know this is a pretty precise process. I think he may have over simplified this topic a little. He does like to stir the pot though. BTW I'd buy an AMP annealer tomorrow if my wife would let me. :lol:

Hmmmm! IIRC he only tested at 6, 10, 15 and 20 second intervals, brass was buggered at 10. That does not give a 4 second window in which things are OK. It means that somewhere in that window, things failed. I would contend (because 6 secs was around where I was with a single tourch) that had Erik tested a piece of brass heated for 6.5 seconds it would give results closer to 10sec brass than 6.
TBH i wou l d have said his 6 sec brass, done with the tourches set close, was over annealed.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”