Milrad and moa

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Julian D

Re: Milrad and moa

#31 Postby Julian D » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:58 am

I was hoping an experienced PRS shooter would have chimed in by now, but no, so I will try my best to convey my thoughts on the advantage of a mRad scope for use in PRS, and you have to remember we are not chasing quarter minute groups, we are trying to hit steel gongs, which, from what I have seen are normally about 2moa, depending on the range.
For example it might be an 8" gong at 400 mtrs, and so on.
The rifle I am using is zeroed at 100 yards, I only have to come up 2 mRad and now my zero is 483, 3 is 610 & 4 is 721 yards. Because it is a timed competition, every second counts, if I only have to turn my turret a few clicks to get to my next target, then it saves me time. We certainly want accurate rifles, but in the heat of competition, all we have to do is hit the gong, no extra points for hitting it in the centre.

Just my opinion from a PRS newbie.

Kakaduthunder

#32 Postby Kakaduthunder » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:55 am

As a PRS shooter I was letting the F-Class shooters thrash it out. A Milrad recticule and adjustment when coupled to a first focal plane scope is the most competitive option for PRS. The first focal plane is probably more important than the reticule. As the previous poster said it is about speed. A first focal plane scope allows you to use the recticle for holdovers at all magnifications. This is very necessary due to the limited time to shoot targets at multiple distances in one course of fire and the fact that in some stages you are not allowed to dial. The courseness of the adjustment, when compared to a moa recticle and adjustment, makes the recticle easier to read and adjustments on the fly quicker.

All of this is not relevant for fclass and the finer adjustment of moa scopes is normally much preferred. Especially when you only shoot at 1 range per weekend for a typical match.

I also grew up in the metric age so milrad really does appeal to me.

I know this is a little off topic but the original question has been well answered.

John S

GSells

#33 Postby GSells » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:42 am

cheech wrote:Hi all,

I’ll give you a scenario,

I have a new shooter with a Mil scope adjustments of 0.1 mil (1/10th)

We shoot on SMT ET showing MOA grid on the IPAd etc

For him/her to move desired bullet impact of just 1 moa , would it need (roughly ) 3 clicks of 0.1 mil ?

Looking for an easy go to method here to get people on target , I encounter so many new shooters with these scopes and don’t understand to use them , and I don’t either .

Any logical help appreciated , not a technical lesson

Ok , haven’t read any of the post and have just dove in here . Having shot with Mils for years before switching to Moa . My experience was 6 ring 1 click , 5 ring 2 clicks 4 was 3 clicks . That was practical experience. Each .1 mill was like half a minute.
I will now read the rest of the threads :lol:

Wingnut

#34 Postby Wingnut » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:23 pm

Don’t do it...... it’s a trap!!

Tim L

#35 Postby Tim L » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 pm

GSells wrote:

For him/her to move desired bullet impact of just 1 moa , would it need (roughly ) 3 clicks of 0.1 mil ?

Looking for an easy go to method here to get people on target , I encounter so many new shooters with these scopes and don’t understand to use them , and I don’t either .

Ok , haven’t read any of the post and have just dove in here . Having shot with Mils for years before switching to Moa . My experience was 6 ring 1 click , 5 ring 2 clicks 4 was 3 clicks . That was practical experience. Each .1 mill was like half a minute.

3 clicks from the 4 ring? Maybe that's why you're in the 5 so often :lol:
Sorry Graham, i couldn't stop myself :oops:

GSells

#36 Postby GSells » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Tim L wrote:
GSells wrote:

3 clicks from the 4 ring? Maybe that's why you're in the 5 so often :lol:
Sorry Graham, i couldn't stop myself :oops:

Ouch ! =P~

oldman1967

#37 Postby oldman1967 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm

I have 1/8th click scopes on my dedicated F Class rifles and a .1mil click Optisan on a Tikka 223 Varmint that we use out to 600 yards on day's when we just want to play. We use Silver Mountain Targets with one MOA grids and I can confirm that a .1 mil click moves point of impact 1/3 of an MOA or that close that it really doesn't matter. If buying a dedicated F Class scope, then SFP with 1/8 th moa clicks and 30 plus magnification is where you should start to look.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”