GRS X EATER STOCK QUESTIONS

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

fullbore11

GRS X EATER STOCK QUESTIONS

#1 Postby fullbore11 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone here has much experience with the GRS X EATER stock and would like to share their thoughts positive and negative. Im thinking to build an F Open rifle in 284 win/Shehane.

Also another question which wil sound odd, is it possible/worthwhile to have a stock thats inletted for a Tikka be redone to fit a Barnard plus bedding block?

Cheers for any information/advice

Steve N

Re: GRS X EATER STOCK QUESTIONS

#2 Postby Steve N » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:00 pm

I haven't used one but have seen one used and it seemed to do the job well.
I can't see any reason that a stock set up for a Tikka couldn't be routed out for a Barnard V block. It might need a bit of filler and the bolt handle recess might be different but nothing that couldn't be worked around. I've fitted a couple of V blocks with a wood chisel and some epoxy. One in a blank stock and one inlet for a Savage. If you get the stock for the right price and can do it yourself then I can't see why not.

Gyro

#3 Postby Gyro » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Whatever you do fullbore, be very careful you don't create a stock that leaves a structurally marginalised mid section. If you rout out an already thin stock to fit a V Block you may end up with a stock lacking in rigidity/stiffness through the action area. I suggest this WILL give you problems with attaining consistent repeatable accuracy with the likes of a 284 running heavy F Open bullets. Take a look at much of the modern thinking around F Open stock design and you will see this section left bulky, for stiffness .......

fullbore11

#4 Postby fullbore11 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Gyro wrote:Whatever you do fullbore, be very careful you don't create a stock that leaves a structurally marginalised mid section. If you rout out an already thin stock to fit a V Block you may end up with a stock lacking in rigidity/stiffness through the action area. I suggest this WILL give you problems with attaining consistent repeatable accuracy with the likes of a 284 running heavy F Open bullets. Take a look at much of the modern thinking around F Open stock design and you will see this section left bulky, for stiffness .......

I was thinking about the potential of that happening, i would have a Gunsmith do the work on the stock so they would know what sort of rigidity would be sufficient. Perhaps just a solid glass bedding and pillars would be a better option to keep the stock thickness greater?

Gyro

#5 Postby Gyro » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:55 pm

There's lots of ways to get there, just keep those basic rules in mind and if ya like me and don't give a rats arse what it looks like then that always makes it easier to ensure the important boxes get ticked. If you want to have a really serious F gun then you may need to spend more money than you're maybe thinking now ? Look at the top shooters stocks.

Wingnut

#6 Postby Wingnut » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:00 pm

I shoot with a mate who runs one with a barnard action in F-standard. He loves it. It’s extremely competitive and he’s rapidly improving using it. I don’t think you can go go wrong. The only thing I think he has to do was to make a small cut out in the adjustable cheek piece.

Mozzie

#7 Postby Mozzie » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Fullbore
GRS X EATER love it. Been using it in my 6.5 Creedmoor for the last couple of years and the last few months in 284 . Bedded and accurate, fully adjustable rake and length of pull along with check rest, All being done without using a tool to adjust.
So yes, I love it, recommend it, and it's red. How good is that.
Mozzie
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

Ian Hughes

#8 Postby Ian Hughes » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Good stocks. I Have 2 XEater stocks which are used as F open rifles, both with Barnard S actions and chambered in 280ai, and have no problems with a 7mm recoil. There is one thing i would recommend you do and that is to add weight to the rear of the stock, if you get one. My rifles both came in at 9Kg before adding weight. To add weight i replaced the aluminium guide rods in the cheek piece and butt pad with stainless ones, also the plastic inserts in the cheek piece and the rear of the stock are replaced with brass pieces and there is a 12mm stainless rod inserted from the rear of the stock forward and attached to the new brass insert in the rear. All this was kindly made for me by a fellow F open shooter. If you would like photos, email me at ian280ai@gmail.com

Return to “Equipment & Technical”