Caldwell Fire Control Upgrades

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Joeyp

Caldwell Fire Control Upgrades

#1 Postby Joeyp » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi everyone
I've recently purchased a Caldwell Fire control joystick front rest and I'm wondering what upgrades fellow shooters have done to make it better. Looking at making the joystick movement more smoother and just wondering what other possibilities there are to upgrade the rest.
Thanks in advance

AlanA

Re: Caldwell Fire Control Upgrades

#2 Postby AlanA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi
Google ‘fire control rest upgrade’ then chose the link to ‘bullitin.accurate shooter.com’ dated 2012/11. This upgrade shows how to install a decent top with a 3” bag like Protector or Edgewood. I did this and it’s a great improvement.

But I wasn’t game to stuff around with the internal workings of the joystick. It’s a bit jerky but I can live with it. Overall the Fire Control is good value for money and nowhere near as bad as some think.

Wingnut

#3 Postby Wingnut » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:44 am

I believe you can insert some rubber o-rings in a few strategic areas to help smooth everything out.

Gary Nitro

#4 Postby Gary Nitro » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:39 am

hi mate ive got 4 off them ive pull them apart and wipe out the white lube put in as factory clean them down and replace with good quality Mollie grease put back to gather and on the front off the joystick remove the screw and in stall a balance beam 25mm aluminum rod approx 130mm long insert a screw in one end and screw it in the place where screw removed . makes them way smother and you can used the 4 tension screws in front to change plate pressures depending on out fit weight . cheers Gary

Joeyp

#5 Postby Joeyp » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes AlanA I have already upgraded the top to a good quality protector bag and I use a kaisen plate on the bottom of my stock for added rigidity. Definately great value for money. I'll see if I can find out some more info about the rubber O rings because definately would be nice to smooth the action a bit. I'll definately give it a shot Gary Nitro with the better grease, any chance you could send me a photo of what you have done with the balance beam so I could see exactly what you mean? Thanks again fellow shooters.

Audax

#6 Postby Audax » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:26 am

The carriage is die cast and pressure from the adjustment screw ball bearings wear tracks which are the cause of notchy movement. I machined the back of the carriage and fitted a hardened plate for the bearings to bear against.......use a torque wrench on the screws and it is an excellent improvement along with the top, replacement of the plastic knobs with steel to give a positive lock, and a wider base plate with better adjustment threads and better spikes......you know same old axe story, but worth it if you can do the work yourself

Gary Nitro

#7 Postby Gary Nitro » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:22 am

mate hear is my mobile 0400328422 texted me ill foreword on a few photos mate cheers Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”