CCI BR4 Primers

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

loneranger

CCI BR4 Primers

#1 Postby loneranger » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:13 pm

Has anyone been having issues with BR4 Primers ?
I have been experiencing more and more primers failing to fire from the same batch of primers. At first I thought my firing pin spring was the issue so I changed it and also checked that I wasn’t over sizing my cases. Measurements were fine as I am only knocking the shoulders back by 0.5 - 1.0 thousands of an inch so I can only presume my primers are duds.
Going to try a new batch of BR4s to see if that is the issue but I am curious to hear if anyone else has had issues ?

OuttaAmmo

Re: CCI BR4 Primers

#2 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:03 pm

A mate has had issues with CCI450 primers recently

KHGS

#3 Postby KHGS » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:22 am

loneranger wrote:Has anyone been having issues with BR4 Primers ?
I have been experiencing more and more primers failing to fire from the same batch of primers. At first I thought my firing pin spring was the issue so I changed it and also checked that I wasn’t over sizing my cases. Measurements were fine as I am only knocking the shoulders back by 0.5 - 1.0 thousands of an inch so I can only presume my primers are duds.
Going to try a new batch of BR4s to see if that is the issue but I am curious to hear if anyone else has had issues ?

Small rifle primers can be sensitive to how they are seated, have you changed your primer seating tool? I once tore my hair out with a misfiring problem with SR primers. After replacing the F/Pin spring, checking pin protrusion.....still misfiring!!!! So I primed a dozen cases (new) and tested them.....no problem!! I repeated the exercise (3 times no less) I returned the rifle to the customer along with 12 primed cases. He loaded them along with 12 of his own primed cases. No misfires with my primed cases, 50% misfires with his primed cases. Not sure what he was doing but he modified how he was seating his primers, no problem since. As an aside I was able to induce misfires by using too much muscle in the seating process, the same can happen with not seating the primers right to the bottom of the pocket. All primers must be seated to the bottom of the pocket but not over seated. ES can be affected by primer seating, time and care must be exercised when seating primers.
Keith H.

KHGS

#4 Postby KHGS » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Seems we have two BR4 threads by the same author??? Perhaps an administrator could merge them?
Keith H.

loneranger

#5 Postby loneranger » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:12 pm

Thanks Keith - appreciate the technical advice but I am pretty sure it’s not a seating problem as I have gone back to my old priming tool that I have used for many years without any problems. It has good feel and not over leveraged but I have still had FTF problems. I am fairly certain that’s it’s the primers as that is pretty much the only variable left but we’ll see after changing to a new batch.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”