Spotting scope

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

Spotting scope

#1 Postby BATattack » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi all

I have a relatively new shooter looking to invest in a quality spotting scope. Budget is approximately $2500

This scope will be used for f class so field of view is important but also for shooting steel at long range. Regularly out to 1200yds but potential to 1 mile plus on steel where ability to spot gong movement or fall of shot splash would be an advantage. So a balance or field of view for f class and magnification on steel.

I've personally looked through several big dollar Leica, swaro, kowa, nightforce etc and although they are nice they are outside the budget so I'm looking for something that is good value. I currently own an old Leica televid 77 with a wide angle 20x which I find good value and good for f class and have briefly looked through an older model vortex razor and the Pentax the Aus team used and found them very nice and in this price range.

So ideally in approximate priority order

Optical clarity for reading mirage and spotting splash
Wide angle for bigger view of multiple targets and flags
Magnification in the 30-40 power range would be ideal for longer range targets
Long eye relief for use with glasses
Optional eye pieces to make it more adaptable for different uses

The two options that I've put forward for his consideration are a new vortex razor 27-60x85 that comes with a removable 27-60x eyepiece plus purchase and long eye relief wide angle eyepiece. I haven't looked through one of the new razors but was very impressed with the old one.

Second option possibly a Pentax but from what I understand the Pentax scopes used by the Aus team I'm 2017 are being phased out by Pentax or the importer. Has anyone heard any different? How have they held up in longevity and also stacked up optically in comparison to new scopes that have been released since?

Just trying to help a new shooter get off to a good start so any first hand experience on the above or alternatives would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to send me a PM of you'd prefer.

Tim L

Re: Spotting scope

#2 Postby Tim L » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:51 pm

From the intro I was going to suggest the Pentax, it certainly ticks all the boxes. I've not heard of them being phased out but it would be an old product by now.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”