Whether to stick with the same action?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Barossa_222

Re: Whether to stick with the same action?

#16 Postby Barossa_222 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:48 pm

PeteFox wrote:
Barossa_222 wrote:
PeteFox wrote:Whether you have a Borden, Panda or any other modern action, choosing one over the other based on how much pressure it can handle speaks volumes about reloading practice.
Pete

It is certainly a consideration when selecting an action. When comparing my Panda FTR rifle compared to friends Barnard FTR rifles all other things considered equal, you are able to run the same case/powder/bullet combination at higher pressure levels.

I think you must be talking about some other shooting movement where safety is not the prime consideration and the rules are made to be bent.

We are talking F/TR here? and .308 win?, where the maximum safe SAAMI pressure is 62,000 psi. and this max pressure is mandated by the rules. See rule 1.2(d) of the SSR's - i.e. the onus is on the shooter not to exceed manufacturers maximum loads or pressure.

Either you are seriously suggesting that a Panda action is suspect with a .308Win at 62,000psi or you are advocating reloading practice above 62000 psi - the reason for my initial comment.

Contrary to my initial gut reaction, I do mind (a lot) if your rifle explodes on the mound because it reflects badly on the shooting movement and its safety record and will inevitably affect everyone's shooting through increased attention from the 'authorities'. and we'll end up with some draconian rules on reloading.

I am not wanting a return to the 'good old days' of 7.62 NATO shooting, but stuck rounds, blown primers, actions unable to be opened without losing the projectile etc were almost unheard of, because the pressure was capped at 50,000psi. and the ammunition was standardised. Same deal if we stick at 62,000 psi with modern actions.
Rant over
Pete

I certainly respect your opinion and whole heartedly agree that safety should be the overriding factor when hand loading. That being said it doesn't change the fact the the Barnard action is much stronger than the Panda and can be loaded to higher pressures. Maybe I've explained myself poorly, in which case I apologise. I was just offering up the experience I have had with the above actions.

cheech

Re: Whether to stick with the same action?

#17 Postby cheech » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:53 pm

Barossa_222 wrote:
PeteFox wrote:
Barossa_222 wrote:It is certainly a consideration when selecting an action. When comparing my Panda FTR rifle compared to friends Barnard FTR rifles all other things considered equal, you are able to run the same case/powder/bullet combination at higher pressure levels.

I think you must be talking about some other shooting movement where safety is not the prime consideration and the rules are made to be bent.

We are talking F/TR here? and .308 win?, where the maximum safe SAAMI pressure is 62,000 psi. and this max pressure is mandated by the rules. See rule 1.2(d) of the SSR's - i.e. the onus is on the shooter not to exceed manufacturers maximum loads or pressure.

Either you are seriously suggesting that a Panda action is suspect with a .308Win at 62,000psi or you are advocating reloading practice above 62000 psi - the reason for my initial comment.

Contrary to my initial gut reaction, I do mind (a lot) if your rifle explodes on the mound because it reflects badly on the shooting movement and its safety record and will inevitably affect everyone's shooting through increased attention from the 'authorities'. and we'll end up with some draconian rules on reloading.

I am not wanting a return to the 'good old days' of 7.62 NATO shooting, but stuck rounds, blown primers, actions unable to be opened without losing the projectile etc were almost unheard of, because the pressure was capped at 50,000psi. and the ammunition was standardised. Same deal if we stick at 62,000 psi with modern actions.
Rant over
Pete

I certainly respect your opinion and whole heartedly agree that safety should be the overriding factor when hand loading. That being said it doesn't change the fact the the Barnard action is much stronger than the Panda and can be loaded to higher pressures. Maybe I've explained myself poorly, in which case I apologise. I was just offering up the experience I have had with the above actions.

I’ve also owned both Fclass panda and many Barnards , both achieved amazing accuracy beyond my wind reading ability. But the Barnard would always be the easier and most forgiving in finding the magic loads of the 2 , and brass from the Barnard always lasted the longest in my experience and I’m NOT one to overload anything . I’ve shot enough thousands of both to know , don’t judge someone preference for a stronger action there are many other factors for their decision. I have since moved on the Panda as I can achieve weight savings with the latest stock designs offered for Barnards that will allow for a hefty barrel in FTR easily

Return to “Equipment & Technical”