Schultz Larsen mod. 62 Bolt

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Hahndorf 1874

Schultz Larsen mod. 62 Bolt

#1 Postby Hahndorf 1874 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:40 am

I have a S&L mod 62. .308 ( Olympic 300 mt 3 p rifle) , having problems with extraction, granted I am shooting cast @ 1700-1800 ftps. Cases will not leave the receiver,hard to pull out with your finger as they have a strange bottle shape port, have been told some owners reduced the tension on the extractor button to prevent cases flying out too far!! Have any of our learned gun gurus experienced this with the SL 62? How can the spring be removed and replaced if this is the problem.I am not a gunsmith .303 s are a breeze but the Bolt on these beyond my skills.The tension on the extractor seems fine,the button is not so I believe. Long winded I know (sorry) Cheers Mal.

Frank Green

Re: Schultz Larsen mod. 62 Bolt

#2 Postby Frank Green » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:06 am

I'm getting ready to rebarrel my 2nd S&L Model 65. First one was rebarreled to 300WM and this one I'm putting a new barrel back on in the same caliber 7x61. As the original barrel wasn't taken care of and was all pitted. Any ways the model 62 and 65 and 54's etc...should all be set up the same if I'm not mistaken.

I think you mean the ejector button not the extractor correct? My WM the brass barely rolled out of the ejection port so I put a new spring in it. Slightly longer. Kicks the brass out nicer now.

The 7x61 that brass came out lazy as well. So gonna put a new spring in it as well.

So just drive out the retaining pin (extra set of hands will help here). You can use a old fired case and have someone hold it into the bolt head to keep the ejector pushed back. Then the other guy can drive the pin out. Slowly release the case from the bolt head so the ejector and spring don't go flying across the room. You can trim a coil or two off the spring at a time and this will reduce the force of the ejector.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Hahndorf 1874

#3 Postby Hahndorf 1874 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:24 am

Thank you Frank,
Yes my typo error ejector pin indeed! Will give it a go! Cheers Mal in au.

Hahndorf 1874

#4 Postby Hahndorf 1874 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:40 am

Followed your instructions Frank easy peasy,where did you find your longer spring? Bloody tiny little thing!! Does the factory still have spare parts for these old relics?

Thank you for your help. Cheers Mal .

Frank Green

#5 Postby Frank Green » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:30 pm

Hey Mal, The factory I think is going to be a bust seeing as these model rifles haven't been made in like 50ish or so years. Didn't try them but pretty sure it will be a dead end.

We buy spring packs from Wolff Springs. Certain ones we need here in the shop for shop purposes and not necessarily for guns. So I went thru the packs and found the correct size that would work.

If you can't find one let me know. I could try mailing you a spring. If I can't mail it maybe it would be ok with Craig McGowen and I'll throw a couple in with a shipment of barrels to him and you can get it that way.

Later, Frank

Hahndorf 1874

#6 Postby Hahndorf 1874 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:20 am

That is a very generous offer Frank ,will keep in touch ,If I have no luck this end I will take up your offer, Cheers Mal.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”