The art of making springs

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

tachyon

The art of making springs

#1 Postby tachyon » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:06 pm

Making springs is easy(ish)

Step 1: Go to a music shop and buy guitar or piano string wire of the correct diameter

Step 2: Understand spring-back means your bending mandrel will be smaller than your final diameter ie, if you want a 0.25" ID spring you will wind it on a 0.20" mandrel

Step 3: Bend the wire into the required shape (note, a cordless drill works ok for round springs).

Step 4: There is no step 4 ie no heat treat. Clip the ends, grind if required, done.

Step 5: If at first you do not succeed, try again or bend version 1.0 into shape.
Last edited by tachyon on Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daveh

Re: The art of making springs

#2 Postby Daveh » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:21 pm

I love DIY and innovation, even as simple as remaking a spring.
I would have struggled probably trying to modify a coil spring. Never would have thought to use a guitar or piano string. Thanks for sharing! Have locked that into the memory bank.
Aussies are an innovative bunch but I see less young people trying to build or repair items. If they can't buy it online it doesn't exist and if something breaks, throw it out a get a new one.

At OPMs I always enjoy checking out what everyone is using and anything different always catches my eye.
Dave

Rich4

#3 Postby Rich4 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:38 pm

For "Music wire" you actually go to hobby shops, they keep it in straight length's, various diameter's.

dazza284

#4 Postby dazza284 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:56 pm

tachyon wrote:Making springs is easy(ish)

Step 1: Go to a music shop and buy guitar or piano string wire of the correct diameter

Step 2: Understand spring-back means your bending mandrel will be smaller than your final diameter ie, if you want a 0.25" ID spring you will wind it on a 0.20" mandrel

Step 3: Bend the wire into the required shape (note, a cordless drill works ok for round springs).

Step 4: There is no step 4 ie no heat treat. Clip the ends, grind if required, done.

Step 5: If at first you do not succeed, try again or bend version 1.0 into shape.

Yes and for small springs i used to use drill bits as mandrels

Return to “Equipment & Technical”