Bearing Surface Comparitor

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

bully_eye

#16 Postby bully_eye » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Well I bought the tool and promised some results so here we go. I only ordered the 6.5mm insert as this is the calibre my new F Class rifle will be in and I picked up a box of the Sierra 142gr projectiles as this will most likely be the pill of choice for me. Now remember I have only measued one box and so I'm not claiming ANYTHING from the results- I'll save judgement until I've measured a few thouand more. I batched bullets into 1thou batches

Shortest- .001"= 1
.001"-.002" = 40
.002"-.003"= 58
.003"-.004"= 2

Yes there were 101 bullets in the box.

Michael

Tiger

Bearing Surface Comparitor, or Ogive Gauge

#17 Postby Tiger » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:58 pm

I've just started "ogiving" all my 6.5 139 Lapua Scenars for the 6.5 HI, and am finding that this has gone a long way to removing the occasional elevation shots that I was suffering out of the blue, with no condition changes that I could spot I would get a wild high or low shot, with perfect windage just like the shots before and after.

The worst length differences I have found is 5 thou overall, with the majority of projjies falling into a 1.5 thou range, (95%) and a smattering that will vary up to 2.5 thou from my designated "zero"

I'm attempting to shoot them only in their .5 thou batches, and then sorted for weight. Seems to make a difference, maybe it's just a mental thing on the weight though.

My belief is that if we eliminate all of the variables which we can measure, then we only have ourselves to blame for the shocking job we do of piloting the rig.

Cheers :wink:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”