Full length Vs Neck sizing

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Simon C

#1 Postby Simon C » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:01 pm

Gday all,

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on full length vs neck sizing?? Why & when would u choose one over the other??I use Lee dies for reloading my 22-250Rem & 308's and have never had a prob with them. I have always neck sized only. The bullet seater is bloody excellent. I have 2 presses & as most of my reloading is for my F-class rifle, i leave them permanaently set up.

Everyone seems to have a different theory as to why one method is better than the other. I fireform the brass then neck size from then on. I always check case OAL & trim as req. My loads arent too crazy so i dont have to trim every reload. I have found in the past that the primer pockets get too loose before I see any signs of wall thinning so I junk em b4 they get too dangerous

Cheers
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:27 pm

I would assume that a case that has been full length resized would then have less accuracy potential than one that has been fireformed then??
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:29 pm

Simon,

Here's my opinion (but there will be others :lol: ). The only reasons you would need to FL resize are if you have difficulty extracting fired rounds (base may need sizing) or if you have difficulty chambering loaded rounds) shoulder may need bumping). If you have neither of these problems, then your brass and chamber are well matched, and there is no reason for FL resizing.

Alan

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Simon,

Sorry, I had to delete and rewrite the last post (had the wrong hat on).

The main advantage of not needing to FL resize would be long brass life (although in your case the primer pockets are the limiting factor). As far as accuracy goes, IMHO FL sizing (particularly shoulder bumping) is more likely to cause things like neck runout than just neck sizing. And neck runout causes bullet runout, and SOME experts say excessive runout causes inaccuracy.

Alan

pjifl

#5 Postby pjifl » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:51 pm

Sometimes when full length resizing case life may be extended, and more even neck tension obtained, by reducing the expander ball so a minimum or work is done on the neck. Sand down with carborundum paper then polish well.

In my most accurate rifles, I am not FL sizing but honestly cannot say the accuracy is better. Some use dies made with the same reamer which cut the chamber. But, some of my best shooting was done when fireforming an Ackley type shoulder onto a standard case so how does that figure ???

Peter Smith.

B.Scheske

#6 Postby B.Scheske » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:53 pm

simon

the difference in accuracy in neck sized and f/l sized cases would be negligible and i doubt that you could measure it in our style of shooting
the only difference that i know of is f/l sizing reduces case life

Simon C

#7 Postby Simon C » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:01 pm

Plus Fl sizing is harder work on the arms.....esp if u r reloading 50+ cases!!!
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Tony Q

#8 Postby Tony Q » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:04 pm

Simon, your MBRC!

take it like a man!!!

B.Scheske

#9 Postby B.Scheske » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 pm

Tony Q wrote:Simon, your MBRC!

take it like a man!!!

couldn't have said it any better

jlorimer

neck sizing V full length resizing

#10 Postby jlorimer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:30 am

Simon, It works for you - that's all that matters. I have used both methods, and there doesn't seem to be much difference accuracy wise, however, if your using high pressure loads, then you will find that you will have to bump the case shoulder back about a thou every reload, ( Redding body die or similar) or stuck cases are the order of the day. I found this to be the norm when running the 6BR over 2900fps. Lapua cases can take this treatment, for the life of the barrel, so no prob.
keep em in the ten. John Lorimer.

jlorimer

#11 Postby jlorimer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:44 am

[/quote]In my most accurate rifles, I am not FL sizing but honestly cannot say the accuracy is better. Some use dies made with the same reamer which cut the chamber. But, some of my best shooting was done when fireforming an Ackley type shoulder onto a standard case so how does that figure ???

[/quote]
Peter I have also found this to be true, I have a few thoughts on the matter, but maybe there is some Guru out there that can explain the phenomenon. interesting?
keep em in the ten, John Lorimer.

Simon C

#12 Postby Simon C » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:37 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas. I will keep going with the N/sizing only as it does work for my rifles, and as u say, "thats all that matters." There are so many idiosyncrasies unique to each rifle..... the message i have got and are indeed still getting is that there are many methods for extracting everything possible out of loads for minor gains, which for our style of shooting, appears insignificant. Not sure i cant get anymore ounctuaton in here!!#$%>>>.. :D
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Return to “Equipment & Technical”