Neck resizing/tension

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

S.Scheske

#16 Postby S.Scheske » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:27 am

Tony Q wrote:Hey Richard ... you know, when it’s a very important shoot like home clubs OPM or Queens I get new brass and use that.

From a physiological point of view it helps (didn’t help me in the last Queens though) … ummm didn’t help me in the last MBRC OPM either, although I did shoot a 60/60 at 500m I lost the plot when drawing for the days agg.

A shoot off was not in my mental thinking!

No wind again tony? :lol:
Sam Scheske
CTRC
2004 ADFC Rifle Team

Shane

neck tension

#17 Postby Shane » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:19 am

If you have a set of standard dies that work well and good but this is why they are cheap. They have less quality contol so you might get a good set or maybe a bad set that prduces a heap of run out or other problems. When a std set of dies resize a fired case the die will crush the neck back approx 10-15 thou the expander ball then drags the neck back maybe 5-10 thou on its way back out. this work the brass a lot and streches the case and shortens neck life. Dies like redding and others similar only size down the neck a few thou depending on the chamber size. A neck turned case in a tight chamber will usually only moved a neck about 4 thou on average. most dies like this are set to give about 2 thou crush fit on a proj. so may set them to be 1 thou or 3 thou, whatever works best. But a neck that is varying in wall thickness will give problems with any die setup.
good shooting
Shane

Tony Q

#18 Postby Tony Q » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:47 pm

Thanks shane

Im not experiencing any problems with group size so i would imagine that everything ok. The low or high shots i do get from time to time can be explaind in 2 ways.

1 Bad Form.

2 Bad Form.

My std 155 .308's shoot about 1/2 min of elevation at any range ... can be 2mins wide due to bad wind reading :lol: but thats another issue!
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

RAVEN

#19 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:59 pm

Tony I would just like to add
BAD FORM!!! :lol: :P
I would be good to get those oopsy's out of the sting of 10
:cry:
RB

Return to “Equipment & Technical”