March scopes

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

RichardW

#31 Postby RichardW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

The OP's question was "Considering laying out the dollars for a March scope, anyone have one? And are they worth the dollars."

Short answer - yes.

Let me quote from a review I wrote on the 10 - 60x...

The 6.5 Shehane appeared at the end of its competitive life and was in need of some coaxing to get the last of its barrel working for me. This 6.5mm barrel had proven “difficult” during its last few outings and some serious reworking of the bedding had been a Christmas priority.

With temperatures on the range in the high thirties Celsius, and a swinging wind from over the right shoulder, it was always going to be a challenging day for scope testing. But this was the moment when all the words I’d written about the March suddenly made sense.

Without the 35mm Modifier Disk, the 600 metre target was a waving mess at 50 power; with the Modifier Disk screwed in a clear sight picture emerged. The ED lens was more than able to discriminate between mirage shifts and provided enough confidence to predict mirage induced elevation changes. The small exit pupil also means light changes are immediately obvious and can be factored into aim off. The bottom line was I could see things that other shooters couldn’t and I was in better control of the conditions than with my own scope.

Unquote.

I bought the scope and started to sell my NXS collection.

This decison was reinforced in a match last December on the final target at 800m. The NXS could only detect a red blur in the mirage but my March saw the whole target (even at 60x) and let me judge wind speed (no flags at this match) and confirmed aim off - went back to 30x and pulled the trigger. Got me 10 points and second place.

I will buy more March scopes.

Hope this helps.

Richard

bruce moulds

#32 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

but richard,
the new nightforce might be better or cheaper.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

OuttaAmmo

#33 Postby OuttaAmmo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:31 am

It is my understanding night force BR scopes are made in Japan? Yet warranty is longer than 5 yrs. I'm sure they are all good scopes, pity they can't make the warranty a bit longer, especially if they are so well built and it seems like the warranty is a non issue to them. It really is hurting sales.

bruce moulds

#34 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 am

just got off the phone to nightforce.
i asked if i could have the poi checked on my br model
answer was, yes, bring it in.
no how old is it or anything like that.
i have sent a scope back to leupold with similar responses.
no questions asked.
outaammo, you make a good point. if any product claims to be the best, what do they have to fear from warranty claims?
i still think danny should get one though.
keep safe bruce.

DannyS

#35 Postby DannyS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks everyone, looks like the man cave is having another clean out.

Cheers
Danny

OuttaAmmo

#36 Postby OuttaAmmo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am

I think he should get one too. Especially if it is just trading in a few items he already has laying around which he doesn't use, for something which he no doubt will!
Keep us all informed Danny.

RichardW

#37 Postby RichardW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 am

Danny - you won't be disappointed.

Bruce - it comes down to weight. NF are far too heavy.

bruce moulds

#38 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am

richard,
have you checked the new one?
bruce.

bruce moulds

#39 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:47 am

danny,
let us knw when the fairy has liftoff.
bruce.

DannyS

#40 Postby DannyS » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi Bruce, will advise you when I get one.

Cheers
Danny

RichardW

#41 Postby RichardW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Bruce

Yes - 10 - 60x March is still a better scope and it was available two years ago. I also have a 5 - 40x FFP and that is lighter and better set out than the BEAST.

I am continually amazed by the quality of the glass. As another example, I was testing the 40x against the NXS 42x during aBat Shoot - under lights at night. As the light faded we tracked both scopes ability to pick out the red lines. The NXS was doing well and then faded out; the March had clear contrast of red against yellow for longer. And under the lights, the target appeared to shine.

I have not been a fan of FFPs until now and never really followed the debate with much interest until this 5 - 40x. But I have used it now for long range and extreme short range competition and it is so flexible and immediately usable.

The fact is that it is light weight but built like a tank, magnificant optics and usable at both ends of magnification means it is a hard scope to look beyond.

Also, for F class shooting the dot is the same size as the X ring at all magnification settings.

bruce moulds

#42 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:17 pm

richard,
what is an ffp?
the scope i am comparing with is not the beast, i think it goes up to 55 power and has id glass.
i want the dot smaller than the x ring, and i want it to appear to get finer as the power increases, as opposed to the coarser military style scopes.
keep safe,
bruce.

OuttaAmmo

#43 Postby OuttaAmmo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:43 pm

bruce moulds wrote:richard,
what is an ffp?
the scope i am comparing with is not the beast, i think it goes up to 55 power and has id glass.
i want the dot smaller than the x ring, and i want it to appear to get finer as the power increases, as opposed to the coarser military style scopes.
keep safe,
bruce.

FFP (first focal plane) has been around a long time. All the old pecars and kahles were FFP. There have been a lot of SFP (second focal plane) scopes used in militaries too. One is not more military than than the other. Just like MOA vs MRAD. Both just angular units of measure, both used in military.

I use FFP and MRAD, but I'm younger than most here I think, I was taught in metric at school, even our range is metric. It makes a lot of sense to me.

bruce moulds

#44 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:15 pm

outa,
thanks for answering the question.
it is the old pecars and kahles that made me appreciate 2nd focal plane like leupolds that now adorn all of my hunting rifles.
moa might be old fashioned, but so is breathing air.
1/8 moa is the finest adjustment available commonly on scopes.
it is not an imperial measurement, but a measurement of angle.
not as useful for hunting humans as the mil system, but eminently suited to fclass.
keep safe,
bruce.

Eddy

#45 Postby Eddy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:42 pm

bruce moulds wrote:it is not an imperial measurement, .
... which just happens to be 1 inch at 100 yards .. 8) ... can't get much more imperial than that :lol:

Return to “Equipment & Technical”