Carbon remover

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

KHGS

Re: Carbon remover

#16 Postby KHGS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 am

Cliff Austen wrote:I understand where you are coming from Keith. But, the pH you want is 7. 7 being neutral. 0 pH is extremely strong acid and pH 14 is extremely strong alkaline.
Cheers
Cliff

Cliff I don't profess to be a chemical wizard & my post demonstrated that, what I meant was neither alkaline or acidic or neutral & I should not have used the numeral 0, thank you for putting that in it's correct perspective. As near to 7.7 is what is required.
Keith H.

KHGS

#17 Postby KHGS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:15 am

Nude nut wrote:
KHGS wrote:
Nude nut wrote:The best I have found so far as carbon goes is citric acid but dosnt remove any copper and requires barrel removal not an issue for most.
I like the mercury tune it seems to do both as far as I can see with a borescope.

Cheers Trev.

I would be very cautious with the use of citric acid in any barrel. The ph level of anything put in a match barrel should be kept as near to O as possible. Strong acids or strong alkaline solutions can microscopically etch the bore surface, this will increase copper deposits. I am a big fan of Mercury Power Tune having used it for many years.
Keith H.

Have not seen any issues bores are nice and shiny they also dont seem to copper up much but in saying that Im talking a mild solution with boiling water and a good rinse and dry then ballistol.
Cheers Trev.

Give it time!!!!
Keith H

sungazer

#18 Postby sungazer » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 am

I would have thought that sweets is a very strong alkaline solution and I see it recommended by barrel makers certainly more than using even brass brushes.

Nude nut

#19 Postby Nude nut » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:34 pm

If anyone would like to see test I did with citric acid hop over to accurate shooter look up barrel cleaning test by me has photos ect.
As the norm there were nay sayers an all sorts of comments about using citric acid ,now if its going to ruin a barrel I think not as we all eat it in lots of food stufffs more so if ya misses cooks citris cakes .
My method is a bit different now I actualy dissolve citric in boiling water first then put it in the barrel and by the way im still using the same barrel and it shoots very well.

Cheers Trev.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”