Priming Tool Recommendation.

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Steve N

Priming Tool Recommendation.

#1 Postby Steve N » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Just finished seating a couple of hundred primers in some Bertram brass and they were TIGHT. Now I have a sore thumb from using two hands on my crappy Lee Autoprime XR that is held together with masking tape so I'm after something better with a bit more leverage and easier to use.
Are the K&M any good or should I look at something else? Just wondering what others are using.
Steve

ajvanwyk

Re: Priming Tool Recommendation.

#2 Postby ajvanwyk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:23 pm

I have the 21st Century priming unit and can highly recommend it. It seems to have more leverage than the K&M unit plus the added benefit of quick 0.0001 adjustments.

I have used others but not extensively. Those that have seen or used mine have always commented with praise.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

pjifl

#3 Postby pjifl » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Agree that the 21st Century unit is excellent. Far more leverage and much smoother than a Lee which is the main reason I bought it for very tight primer pockets.
Solid and well made to last a lifetime.
Whatever you do, do not buy a new generation Lee. The old Lee ones have their place and I use one for much of my loading. No idea about the K&M.

When I got the C21 one, I was a bit worried that hand feeding primers singly by hand would be a real pain but it has turned out faster than I expected.

Peter Smith.

cheech

#4 Postby cheech » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Borrowed a 21ST Century with the black square LEE tray with adjustable depth , had to use it for tight pockets and CCI magnum primers and I can swear by how easy it was , my old Lee was ready to break ! I have ordered one directly as no one here will import them

willow

#5 Postby willow » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm

21st Century all the way...

6.5x55ai

#6 Postby 6.5x55ai » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:50 am

Highly recommend the 21stC tool. I have the older one that gives just over 2 thou adjustment per click. I can set it between clicks to give just over 1 thou. Their new model has finer adjustment @ just over a thou per click. Beautifully made gear.

I recently also bought the top model K&M. Compared to the 21stC I am disappointed. It doesn't have the power of the 21stC and despite all its clever measuring of each primer the resultant depths don't gel when I measure them with a depth micrometer.

bully_eye

#7 Postby bully_eye » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:51 am

cheech wrote:Borrowed a 21ST Century with the black square LEE tray with adjustable depth , had to use it for tight pockets and CCI magnum primers and I can swear by how easy it was , my old Lee was ready to break ! I have ordered one directly as no one here will import them

Probably too late by Stuart and Annie Elliott at BRT stock them (and other C21 products) & they are showing 7 currently in stock.

Regards,
Michael

Return to “Equipment & Technical”