Odd barrel

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Re: Odd barrel

#16 Postby macguru » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:23 am

If anyone is rebarreling a savage you can get machined sharp shooter supply recoil lugs in stainless steel from Brownells and they will ship them to Australia. both large and small shank. SShooter supply will not post here but brownells will now, although they didnt a couple of yrs ago. A great idea...

But I dont think its the reason here. Like Frank said the bore needs to be checked for straightness by someone with the right tools? I have read about this exact thing online before in a savage forum. They got savage to swap the barrel.
id quod est

Norm

Re: Odd barrel

#17 Postby Norm » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 am

Thanks for the input lads.

I'm thinking Frank and Mac are onto it. Maybe Savage has had a go at straightening this barrel and somehow got the last couple of inches pointing off at an odd angle. Nothing else makes sense and there does seem to be a shadow in the barrel in that area.
The rifle seems to shoot small groups with the Norma factory ammo at 50 yards but time will tell if it will be competitive once he starts to hand load.
I'm thinking it will shoot some odd shaped groups during a match and drive the owner mad but time will tell.
If it does I will recommend he buys a barrel off Frank and have it properly fitted with a match recoil lug set up.
Cheers Norm

Return to “Equipment & Technical”