Federal 210M Primers

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Old Trev-39

Federal 210M Primers

#1 Postby Old Trev-39 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi All,
I have just finished a carton (1000) of the above. I found a difference in colour of the priming compound. 67 had a yellow compound compared to the normal red compound. I did not load these as I was not sure what they were. I checked one out buy firing off in an empty case and it ignited..
Has any one else found this anomaly. When I found the first few I contacted Federal but received no reply. I do not intend using these unless I can be convinced it is safe to do so. But I will probably give them the deep 6 when I go fishing next. It will be interesting to see what the next carton produces. Any comments on info. welcomed.
Cheers,
Trevor.

BRETT B

Re: Federal 210M Primers

#2 Postby BRETT B » Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Trevor , Federal only use yellow compound BUT what they do do is use Red and Purple dye on the anvil to show the difference between a STD and magnum primer at the factory. I have seen some batches with minimal red dye and others with lots of Red dye in the 210M. Makes no difference to performance from what I have seen.
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Barry Davies

#3 Postby Barry Davies » Wed May 30, 2018 11:06 am

Agree with Brett particularly his remarks re red dye.
Barry

Old Trev-39

#4 Postby Old Trev-39 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks Brett and Barry for the information. I have used heaps of these and this is the first carton I have found this difference. I will now use these, but will not mix them in a loading session. The replies are much appreciated.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”