WTB Moly powder

Here you have an audience of people with similar equipment needs. Chances are that someone will have what you need or vice versa.

Moderator: Mod

Forum rules
Please note the following :

Advertising of Firearms & Firearm Parts will no longer be permitted in the For Sale/Wanted to Buy Forum.
Please use the Firearms & Firearm Parts For Sale Sub-Forum.

Any Firearms or Firearm Parts advertised in this forum will be moved or deleted.

Please read the READ THIS FIRST! (Advertising Rules) for further details.
KHGS

Re: WTB Moly powder

#16 Postby KHGS » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:13 pm

Chopper wrote:Still an interesting topic
I still think it slows down fouling and gives longer amount of shots and some what easier cleaning
also in the barrels I use find less fire cracking
just my thoughts
Has any one had a barrel damaged with mos2 or moly ?
Chopper

I have used it for 25 years without ANY ill-effect whatsoever. Guess what, I never have ANY carbon fouling in my barrels.
Keith H.

jasmay

#17 Postby jasmay » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:50 am

Maybe this statement will help some: If you are trying to use moly to achieve accuracy, you’re using it for the wrong reasons.

BATattack

#18 Postby BATattack » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:25 am

I've seen a barrel badly pitted by moly being left in. Oh people will say "well that's because he didn't clean it not because of the moly. Well I just pulled a stainless barrel out that was left dirty for 4.5yrs and you could visibly see green growing at the muzzle. Cleaned it as I would with any other barrel, inspected with a bore scope and its bright any shiny with no signs of pitting or corrosion.

Aubrey

#19 Postby Aubrey » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:29 am

Have you looked into Boron Nitride coating? I was recently chatting with David Tubb who did all the Moly coating for Sierra, and who used it extensively, and he has moved to Boron.

https://youtu.be/5DsYhPLSUD8

I'll be stocking his kits shortly at https://www.accurise.com.au
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Rich4

#20 Postby Rich4 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:25 am

Looked at it yes, I felt it may be a little more finicky to apply, wet moly is so easy it's hard to think of a reason not to, however as a powder additive as well it may convince me to change.
Tubb dust looks good but I don't need another thing to stock.

Aubrey

#21 Postby Aubrey » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:48 am

I'm trying the TubbDust and also have a shipment on the way. I think it could make a difference.
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

KHGS

#22 Postby KHGS » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:43 pm

Aubrey wrote:Have you looked into Boron Nitride coating? I was recently chatting with David Tubb who did all the Moly coating for Sierra, and who used it extensively, and he has moved to Boron.

https://youtu.be/5DsYhPLSUD8

I'll be stocking his kits shortly at https://www.accurise.com.au

Been there done that.....went back to moly! The Boron was very good added to the gearbox oil of my lathe where it now lives.
Keith H.

BATattack

#23 Postby BATattack » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:18 am

Keith why do you prefer moly over HBN? Do you clean your barrels after ever session of moly to prevent pitting?

Rich4

#24 Postby Rich4 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:20 am

No, you clean every time to prevent carbon solidification, but I'd love to know the dislike of HBN, I'm using moly because it's sooo easy and holds zero better from a clean barrel

KHGS

#25 Postby KHGS » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:38 am

BATattack wrote:Keith why do you prefer moly over HBN? Do you clean your barrels after ever session of moly to prevent pitting?

I clean as per normal. HBN did not reduce copper fouling as well as moly for me. I strongly believe that the barrel "damage" attributed to moly id due to not cleaning correctly and moisture becomes trapped under the carbon which has not been removed. Whatever the reason over 25 years of use I have NOT had any pitting. There are solvents that cause pitting in stainless steel barrels....heavily amonated solvents will etch stainless steel, I have seen evidence of this!!!
Keith H.

PeteFox

#26 Postby PeteFox » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:00 am

Moly is easy, goes on even every time. I do mine dry in a vibratory tumber with ceramic beads. When coated I then put the projectiles in another tumbler bowl lined with carpet. This polishes the projectiles and the excess moly can be recovered and used again.
In my experience moly doesn't make much difference with copper removal but makes carbon removal a lot easier.

I push a patch with Ballistol through after shooting to avoid any corrosion issue.

Moly is molybdenum disulphide( MoS2). It is supposed to be unreactive to atmospheric oxygen. But sulphide minerals do react with oxygen dissolved in water to produce sulphuric acid - the same process that causes acid mine drainage and acid sulphate soils.
Most solvents are water based and will contain dissolved oxygen after exposure to the atmosphere. Will the oxygen react with the moly left in your barrel ? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. I don't leave solvent in the barrel anymore after an experience patching out where the patch looked like it had rust on it - solvent (boretech Eliminator) was left in the barrel overnight (Bartlein). So if I'm not cleaning straight away, I put Ballistol through the barrel, clean later and then leave Ballistol in the barrel till the next shoot.

HBN application is more problematic. I've tried HBN, done in three batches exactly the same each time, but the coverage on the projectiles is different from batch to batch.

One has a milky smooth covering, while another batch has a spotty appearance and another is halfway between the two.

I don't know if if it will make a difference on target but I don't like it and I am thinking about ways to remove the HBN from the projectiles I have coated. Maybe just put them in with some corn cob in a vibratory tumbler.

Pete

jasmay

#27 Postby jasmay » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:55 am

BATattack wrote:I've seen a barrel badly pitted by moly being left in. Oh people will say "well that's because he didn't clean it not because of the moly. Well I just pulled a stainless barrel out that was left dirty for 4.5yrs and you could visibly see green growing at the muzzle. Cleaned it as I would with any other barrel, inspected with a bore scope and its bright any shiny with no signs of pitting or corrosion.

Hi Adam, (how’s things down your way?)

No matter what you do with your barrel, naked, moly, hbn, ADI powders, Alliant, VV powder, there is always different types of management that needs to be employed.

I have seen what should be brand new looking .308 barrels with severe fire cracking at 300 rounds due to poor management, no moly went near these barrels.

Moly is no different, there are both advantages and disadvantages to using Moly, I am a moly user, but not across all my rifles, only for specific purposes.

If you manage your barrels correctly, you will get good service life out of them, if you don’t, you wont.

The use of moly does not dictate if a barrel will fail early, it is the management of that barrel that does so.

BATattack

#28 Postby BATattack » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:47 pm

jasmay wrote:
BATattack wrote:I've seen a barrel badly pitted by moly being left in. Oh people will say "well that's because he didn't clean it not because of the moly. Well I just pulled a stainless barrel out that was left dirty for 4.5yrs and you could visibly see green growing at the muzzle. Cleaned it as I would with any other barrel, inspected with a bore scope and its bright any shiny with no signs of pitting or corrosion.

No matter what you do with your barrel, naked, moly, hbn, ADI powders, Alliant, VV powder, there is always different types of management that needs to be employed.

I have seen what should be brand new looking .308 barrels with severe fire cracking at 300 rounds due to poor management, no moly went near these barrels.

Moly is no different, there are both advantages and disadvantages to using Moly, I am a moly user, but not across all my rifles, only for specific purposes.

If you manage your barrels correctly, you will get good service life out of them, if you don’t, you wont.

The use of moly does not dictate if a barrel will fail early, it is the management of that barrel that does so.

I agree with what your saying Jase and part of the reason I asked the question of Keith re cleaning. If you clean your barrel after every session because your are aware moly has the potential to harm your barrel and you manage it well then it's fine. For people that occasionally get a bit lazy (like me) OR if they think they can go 100s of rounds or months without cleaning they could run into problems. The barrel that I looked at was very high quality and had pits very similar to the corrosion I'm seeing in stainless pipework exposed to sulphuric acid. What specific purposes do you find moly helps with?

Yep going well down here thanks mate hope you guys up north are staying safe with all the rain about :-(

jasmay

#29 Postby jasmay » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:47 pm

BATattack wrote:
jasmay wrote:

I agree with what your saying Jase and part of the reason I asked the question of Keith re cleaning. If you clean your barrel after every session because your are aware moly has the potential to harm your barrel and you manage it well then it's fine. For people that occasionally get a bit lazy (like me) OR if they think they can go 100s of rounds or months without cleaning they could run into problems. The barrel that I looked at was very high quality and had pits very similar to the corrosion I'm seeing in stainless pipework exposed to sulphuric acid. What specific purposes do you find moly helps with?

Yep going well down here thanks mate hope you guys up north are staying safe with all the rain about :-(

Not overly keen to discuss openly why I and a few others specifically use Moly, I’ll send you a PM for a private chat…

Wakey7

#30 Postby Wakey7 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:41 pm

jasmay wrote:
BATattack wrote:
jasmay wrote:

Not overly keen to discuss openly why I and a few others specifically use Moly, I’ll send you a PM for a private chat…

Hi Jason. Just went it was getting interesting you go all shy on us. :shock: See you in Victoria mate. Regards Lynton.

Return to “For Sale/Wanted to Buy”