Something Needs to be Done

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#31 Postby AlanF » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:01 pm

As I see it, the main problem is numbers, not necessarily how well everyone gets on (although that is obviously a factor in keeping members). Membership numbers and numbers competing at events need to grow. In Vic they're falling. Can anyone comment on numbers in other States?

Alan

Eddy

#32 Postby Eddy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:05 pm

I would certainly agree that it's easier to get people to try F Class than TR.
Having "coached" new shooters on the mound (level 1 AIS) ... what with explaining breathing, hold, sighting etc etc etc. I'd need to double dose on the blood pressure tabs before trying that again ...
Compared to my own experience as a newbie F Class shooter .... jump down behind the rifle, stick the crosshairs on a black bit;- pull the trigger and work up from there.

Eddy

#33 Postby Eddy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:08 pm

I wonder if split seasons could be made to work ... ???
Summer shoot / Winter shoot ...

bruce moulds

#34 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:49 pm

eddy,
are you in touch with mick, ivan, & the other guys at loxton.
i think loxton might be in your dra.
despite some initial resistance, they are now forging that club ahead.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Norm

#35 Postby Norm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:02 pm

The solution in my eyes is to make the local Full Bore rifle range available to more people.
TR and F-Class shooters shoot mostly from 300 yards to 1000 yards.
Sporting shooters shoot mostly from 50 yards to 300 yards.

The first step would be to make changes to the layout of the Full Bore ranges, so that sporting shooters can shoot their existing sporting rifles at distances from 50 to 300 yards. Then give them the time and opportunity to do so.
This will increase range attendances and cross pollination will then occur into the Tr and F-Class disciplines’ resulting in an increase in TR and F-Class participation.

The second step would be to encourage the sporting shooters to move into F-Class via some form of hybrid competition that allowed sporting shooters to use their existing gear at longer distances, say from 300 to 500 yards and be competitive. This would not be that difficult so long as they had a scope that permitted such shooting.

It would be easy to come up with a competition that would permit such a cross over to take place. The most obvious would be a lower weight limit version of F-class designed for sporting weight factory rifles and shot over 300 and 500 yards at the same time that the regular TR and F-Class club matches were being held. The club handicapper would just have to sort out the details as he already does when comparing TR and F-Class for club trophy points etc.

bruce moulds

#36 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:14 pm

norm,
you make a good point.
for years i have been trying to get sara/nraa to recognize ssaa shooters in the hope that a reciprocal arrangement can be organized.
this would be of mutual benefit.
they just look at me as though i have genital warts.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

OuttaAmmo

#37 Postby OuttaAmmo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:56 pm

A solution to genital warts would be easier :shock:

DannyS

#38 Postby DannyS » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm

As I previously mentioned, we try to cater for short range shooters as well.
We have a feral animal comp shot over 100 to 300 yards, we also have a 10 ring target comp over 200 & 300 yards using a pistol target.

Its all about being flexible, this week we were supposed to be shooting over 300 & 500 yds but due to some shooters using 204s plus a couple of new shooters, we kept it at 300.

bruce moulds

#39 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:09 pm

danny,
don't forget the bpcr guys!
we need 1200 yd, and hopefully one day a mile.
a strong point is that we can shoot along with tr and fclass, so are not really disruptive to what happens anyway. just need 30 min for 10 to count.
keep safe,
bruce.

DannyS

#40 Postby DannyS » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Bruce, you are more than welcome to join us, just let me know when you are coming, so that I can mow the grass in front of the mound and wet it down so that we don't start a grassfire. We have already been burnt out once.

As for the time it takes for you to fire 10 rounds, not a problem, some of our markers might even be able to keep up with you :D

bruce moulds

#41 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 pm

danny,
burn it off at the beginning of summer and have no more fires.
we use plastic of gasket material wads mostly.
even cardboard ones show no sign of scorching nor do paper patches.
not much fire danger here.
probably smokers on the mound have plenty of potential for fires.
and let's not forget the potential for fire involving assignations on the mound, or would range have been a better word, where veseline or k y were not included.
keep safe,
bruce.

Cameron Mc

#42 Postby Cameron Mc » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Alan

I have not read the whole thread but this is my take.

The current world economic climate. People have tightened the purse strings....uncertain times.

I believe most sports have seen a drop in numbers. I don't believe there is one stand out reason for this, it has been going on over time.

I think we have all seen younger people who come along , have a go and some keep coming back for a period of time. Other things become interestng for them and they leave the range. But remember they have a taste of the sport and some will return in the future. I believe we should concentrate on the people who are a little older as they are most likely more stable with a job, marriage etc.

Our fullbore range is right beside the SSAA range. We shoot Saturday arvos and the SSAA Sunday. 90% of shooters stick to one comp. I don't have time and don't want to shoot both days and the reverse is true of the SSAA members.

Cameron

AlanF

#43 Postby AlanF » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Gidday Cameron,

What's your impression of shooter numbers in your area. Are club memberships increasing? What about OPM attendances?

Alan

Cameron Mc

#44 Postby Cameron Mc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:15 am

Alan

Membership is static at club level. We will have 2 new members shortly. We are majority F Class.

In the last 12 months I have seen increases in F Class entries and a decrease in TR entries at OPM,s. It is not uncommon to see 15+ F Open shooters at these shoots now.

I think we need to be smarter promoting our sport. We put club shoot results in the local paper. This keeps our presence known.

Cameron

DannyS

#45 Postby DannyS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:25 am

Alan,

Going over the posts for the last few days, we have had some very good points and ideas made.
The question now is, what are we going to do with all these suggestions?

There appears to be a number of areas that need looking at.

1.Recruiting new members
2. Retaining members
3. Getting f class to have its own customs etc
4. Equallity of classes ie tr and f class

A number of states have their own f class organizations, some may be more successful than others. Do we form a national body?

Cheers
Danny

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”