Australian Outback Ammo - Goes Commonwealth!

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

Gerard

Australian Outback Ammo - Goes Commonwealth!

#1 Postby Gerard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 pm

I saw an advertisement on the NRAA site stating that Australian Outback Ammo have produced a highly accurate round for Target rifle and it will be the ammo for the commonwealth games!
Thats great news, as it could mean cheap local and accurate factory ammo which uses ADI cases (Reloadable to almost Lapua quality.. rumour has it).
The .308 round is apparently using 155.5 Bergers.

Does anyone here have other info, I would be keen to get hold of a box to try it in my rifle. (Im chambered for HBC 155 - Optimus, so not sure on how well it would run in my rifle. Keen to find out though).

cheers,
Gerard.

Brett M

Re: Australian Outback Ammo - Goes Commonwealth!

#2 Postby Brett M » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm

At $46 a box of 20, it's not that great! It is better than the current factory rounds, but be warned there are hybrids mixed in with the 155.5's to make up numbers! Which they haven't bothered to keep seperate. Out of 20 rounds there were 13 hybrids which would not chamber in my rifle, there was a 0.025" difference in base to ogive length from hybrids to fullbores.

Gerard

#3 Postby Gerard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Thanks for the info, thats disappointing to hear Brett and surprising that they are mixing projectiles in the same batch.
I expected cost to be very low, based on the prices that I see in the shops selling Australian Outback ammo here in QLD.
A real shame, as its a great opportunity. Using the commonwealth games to draw attention to high quality, accurate Aussie made ammo seems like an opportunity not to compromise on. Better still if they used local projectiles too.
Perhaps the ammo you sampled was just some prototype stuff... heres hoping.

Peter Marum

#4 Postby Peter Marum » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am

Its a very expensive very ordinary ammunition. As Brett said cbto was all over the shop, and out of a box of 20 i had 2 blown and black primers. If this supposed to be ammo for the comm games, the competitors are going to have some issues

Brett M

#5 Postby Brett M » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Gerard it is a shame! While I was contesting the Australia cup series, they sent out an email stating the recipe of the new ammo. I was hopeful that it would be a good backup alternative, short range maybe but long range it will be pushing the boundaries! Also the box that I bought was out of the first batch, part of which has been put away for the trial run this year and next years games!

Return to “Equipment & Technical”