Siera hunting projectiles any good?

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

sevenmil

Siera hunting projectiles any good?

#1 Postby sevenmil » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:03 pm

I am about to trial some Siera 135gn hollow points in my 308 Win Remington hunting rifle. I have a new stainless barrel and tried 125gn,150gn and 165gn Noslers, but cant get better than about 1MOA at 100m. I have tried 2208 and 2206H, but just can't seem to get the new barrel to shoot so I thought I'd try a different brand of projectiles.
Anyone used these Sieras before and if so, what was your accuracy and how did they perform on medium game (goats, fallow deer & pigs) ?

Gyro

Re: Siera hunting projectiles any good?

#2 Postby Gyro » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 am

Im assuming u refer to the 30 cal 135gn SMK ? Seems today every man and his dog is using target bullets on game and saying they work/kill. That's something u can find lots of information about on the Internet.

Now re your gun doing MOA, well that's another possibly very long story. It could be it's only ever going to do MOA for a whole bunch of reasons.

BTW there's more bullshit written about a certain guns accuracy than u can poke a stick at !!! So don't get sucked into thinking your gun should too. Of course it's a whole lot of fun getting out there playing with any rifle and trying to make it go well but I would suggest hook up with an experienced shooter ( assuming u aren't ) and they can critique the gun/setup/technique and save you a lot of time. If you're thorough and dedicated u can work it all out yourself but that can take literally years ie. some one on one advice from a good experienced shooter can take years off your learning curve.

I've just quickly written this with no idea about your experience or whether you are in a shooting club or not so I hope my words don't offend. Regards Rob Kerridge.

KHGS

#3 Postby KHGS » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:50 am

An accurate rifle is one that you can hit what you are aiming at when you release a properly executed shot. We often have an unrealistic view of what a hunting rifle is capable of or need to be, they are not varmint or target rifles.
Keith H.

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:56 am

Who was that American writer who spoke of that accuracy term Minute of Deer?

Simon C

#5 Postby Simon C » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:35 am

In my experience, the 150gn Sierra's are great for Fallow sized deer. I have shot plenty of them with the soft point 150gn Game Kings and they have performed exceptionally well at ranges of 50-400m. I tried the 130gn hollow points and found them to be too frangible on Fallow deer on shoulder shots (where I prefer to shoot them). I'd assume that would be the case with goats as well.

I'd be more focused on the terminal performance of the bullet as opposed to getting it to shoot sub MOA - As per John's post, Minute of Deer/Goat at the ranges you expect to encounter them is all that matters. Find a suitable point blank range for the velocity you are getting and practice shooting the rifle to that point of aim across the ranges you will likley be hunting at.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

flatlina

#6 Postby flatlina » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:19 pm

I would try the Optimus HBC's, they work very well on pigs, donkeys etc. I've found them to be accurate in all my .308's.

Regards
jb

sevenmil

#7 Postby sevenmil » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks guys - just for your background its a good stainless Maddco barrel, so it should be capable of consistent sub MOA groups. I have shot half MOA, but not consistently. I think it's just a matter of finding the right load, hence my question about these Siera 135gn hollow points. By the way, they are not target projectiles, they are specifically designed hunting bullets.

Has anyone tried these (for hunting)?

Redhawk

#8 Postby Redhawk » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi Sevenmil

I have used these very successfully in my Tikka 308 Varminter and have taken several pigs and deer with the 135gn Sierra.

I use 2208 and at 2850fps they have printed plenty 0.5MOA groups at Belmont at 300yds. Most shooters want to push these at or above 3,000fps.....In my opinion that is too fast, bring the loads way down..

Hope that helps.

sevenmil

#9 Postby sevenmil » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks Redhawk, appreciate your feedback - I am about to test some loads with these projectiles with 46.5 and 47gn 2008. Can I ask what powder weight you use with 2208 ?

Redhawk

#10 Postby Redhawk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Best loads here for my rifle were between 45.7 and 46.5 with ADI 2208. Let us know what groups and speed you get?

Return to “Equipment & Technical”