BEST SCOPE FOR F OPEN

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

John T

BEST SCOPE FOR F OPEN

#1 Postby John T » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Hello All.

This is a topic which is renewable every few years. I have been prompted to do so now by the glowing praise of the Night-Force Competition 15 - 55 x 52, given by participants at the 2017 FCWC.

The N-F motto impresses me, "rugged, reliable, repeatable". This is my priority in an F Open scope which must withstand the heavy recoil of WSM's (and larger) for maybe four stages of 22 shots a day over eight days or more plus the inevitable knocks and bumps on the range. Many benchrest scopes were not designed for nor would handle that level of "abuse".

All comments will be welcomed (but especially from you, Peter) by all who are looking for the best.

Please do not limit yourselves by issues such as price. It would be of interest to all to know just what is out there. Who hasn't checked the price of the Bugatti SUV?

Regards,
John T.

Matt P

Re: BEST SCOPE FOR F OPEN

#2 Postby Matt P » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:11 pm

John
I'd love to pass comment but I'd be accused of favouring the scope I use and recommend rather than what some want to hear !!!
Regards
Matt P

willow

#3 Postby willow » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:18 pm

I own and use a couple of Vortex Golden Eagles which I got for a very good price. No complaints with them despite the lack of a zero stop - for F Open I don't need that. Glass is perfectly acceptable, I can't tell the difference between the GE and NF Comp for glass, but I find the GE easier to get behind. You will get a few people chiming in here no doubt, with NF, March, Sightron and S&B all popular among the F class crowd. If money is no object, then the best scope I have looked through is the March Highmaster 10-60x56. Easily the best glass of anything I've looked through and if it wasn't twice the price of the Vortex, then I'd buy a couple.

I won't speak on Matt's behalf, but he ran a March Highmaster at the National's last year. That's all I'll say on the matter.

Wal86

#4 Postby Wal86 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 pm

John,

You can only answer this question! (too many conflicting opinions on this topic)..
I'd say ask around at the range, look through as many different scopes as you can, in both good and bad light conditions/mirage etc. (Look at there scope reticle aswell)
Once you have done that, it's all about the dollars you want to spend and what you see practical..

Cheers
Alan

John T

#5 Postby John T » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Matt.
I expected responses such as yours. It is one reason why I mentioned only Peter Smith, a man of impeccable knowledge and independence. I deliberately did not mention Dave McNamara and Rod Davies who might feel constrained by relationships.

But this is a forum. A place to express and to consider opinions. Every opinion, by its nature, is biased. Anyone who rejects an opinion on the ground of perceived bias, misunderstands the purpose of a forum, adds nothing to the discussion and gains nothing from it.

So, Matt, Peter, Dave, Rod, Craig, Alan and all who have an opinion of substance, full speed ahead and damn the naysayers!

Willow.
Thanks for your contribution. Just what we want, whether we agree or not.

Alan.
With the greatest respect, this is how NOT to select any equipment. Mounds are well grassed because of the fertilizer.

Regards,
John T.

Tim N

#6 Postby Tim N » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am

I use March 10-60 and NF comp
Until recently I was using Sightron scopes on my 7mms.
If I hadn't been offered a great deal on the NF scopes I would still be using the sightrons.
Only "issue" with sightrons I found was the turrets are sizeable and may put stress on the scope when squeezed into a case for transport, apart from that possible non issue they were great!
Tim
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

DenisA

#7 Postby DenisA » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi John,

I have 2 x NF Comps and a March 8 - 80. For my style of shooting, the NF Comps are my favourite.

I only dial in spin drift for each distance and hold off everything else using the reticle subtensions, not the target rings. The NF Comp having a fine reticle, 1 MOA subtensions at 40x and 1/8 clicks is perfect. I find that when using the March at 40x, as a holdererofferer :lol: , the 0.5 MOA subtensions makes the reticle unnecessarily busy which can create problems when holding off 2.5 moa plus and having to count 5 slash's. Creates a lot of room for human error. Not a brilliant scenario on a .308. Happy to run it on the SAUM.

Also, the conditions really need to be ideal with wind, lighting and temperature to run the March at 80x to its best effect. I rarely get that opportunity in QLD. The additional magnification that I primarily purchased the scope for, turned out to be a false economy.

The fine reticle of the NF Comp is a little nicer. It feels more precise.

Other than that, I really like both scopes and have no other hesitations.

Wal86

#8 Postby Wal86 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 pm

John T wrote:
Alan.
With the greatest respect, this is how NOT to select any equipment. Mounds are well grassed because of the fertilizer.

Regards,
John T.

Going to disagree John, yes the mounds are well fertilized, but if you put on your big boy shoes and make decisions for yourself, and don't be a sheep, you will make the right choices..

If DenisA had of takin my approach he might of been made aware that an 80x scope was limited to conditions.. (please take no offence denis) was using your post as example only..

Cheers
Alan

DenisA

#9 Postby DenisA » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 pm

None taken, but your assuming I didn't follow your approach. I bought it anyway. Although I ask, listen and appreciate, I like to try things for myself as I see fit. Nothing teaches like experience.

Briefs glimpses of a product rarely tell a full story. You'd have to borrow a scope and shoot with it for months to properly appreciate all its pros and cons and how they suit the individual.

Wal86

#10 Postby Wal86 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 pm

DenisA wrote:None taken, but your assuming I didn't follow your approach. I bought it anyway. Although I ask, listen and appreciate, I like to try things for myself as I see fit. Nothing teaches like experience.

Briefs glimpses of a product rarely tell a full story. You'd have to borrow a scope and shoot with it for months to properly appreciate all its pros and cons and how they suit the individual.

Denis,

Not all is lost with your 8 x 80 March... when winter comes around they have advantages, as you will be able to magnify/detect mirage that lower power scopes can't magnify... (conditions pending of course). Can be a handy wind reading tool.. I know this because I have one also..

I too am a holderofferer :lol: and I would recommend a 5 x 40 March FFP, (with your preferred reticle) for those who use this technique. Especially for hot conditions where you get plenty of mirage...
Cheers

Alan

Gyro

#11 Postby Gyro » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 am

Alan, is there a 5-40 FFP March model with 1 MOA hash marks on the horizontal bar ? Your recommendation makes perfect sense to me re my shooting technique. Regards Rob.

Wal86

#12 Postby Wal86 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:32 am

Rob,
March certainly do make a 5-40 FFP with 1 MOA hash marks.. Ive got 2 at home and both have a floating dot reticle, with both horizontal and vertical cross hair that starts at .5 MOA from the dot..
So you can use the end of the cross hair as a .5 MOA reference point aswell..
Cheers

bully_eye

#13 Postby bully_eye » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:40 pm

I know March market the 5-40 FFP with Moa adjustments and reticle as an ideal F class scope. I own one of the 5-40 FFP Mil/Mil scopes and have never really felt handicapped using it for F Class despite oddball .05 Mil adjustments (roughly 1/6th MOA I believe). Maybe the MOA based version is the thinking shooters choice? Certainly has a nice fine reticle and I’m a sucker for a floating dot.
As a bit of info I use target rings to hold off not reticle hash marks and I’m not at the pointy end of F class so this is just my opinion. In full disclosure I own 2 March scopes but am in the market for a new scope and there are a lot of good choices out there.

Michael

UL1700

#14 Postby UL1700 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:59 pm

I recently looked through a Schmidt & Bender was amazed at the clarity. With their sport fine retical it would be a nice addition to my 6br I reckon.

John T

#15 Postby John T » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Hello all.

Is it fair to say that there has been no real challenge to the Nightforce Competition 15-55x52? I think so.

Before we close the book, it may be worth looking (again) at some other particular scopes. After applying two basic requirements; zoom magnification of 50 power or more, and click value of 1/8 MOA; here are five, in alphabetical order.

KAHLES K 1050 10-50x56 MOAK
MARCH 10-60x56 High Master
There is a number of other March scopes which could be considered.
5-50x56
10-60x52
10-60x56
8-80x56
SCHMIDT & BENDER 12-50x56 PM II/P
SIGHTRON S III 10-50x60
VORTEX Golden Eagle HD 15-60x52

As always, all comments about scopes that would be good for F Open are welcome.

Regards,
John T.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”