Sixty.10 Rattler – Coming Soon

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Sixty.10 Rattler – Coming Soon

#16 Postby AlanF » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:06 pm

It was a minor quibble Denis. I agree that minimising the time you spend looking at things other than conditions is a good strategy. It looks like a quality product.

DenisA

#17 Postby DenisA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:13 pm

AlanF wrote:It was a minor quibble Denis. I agree that minimising the time you spend looking at things other than conditions is a good strategy. It looks like a quality product.

Thanks Alan.

Tim L

#18 Postby Tim L » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am

Great idea Dennis, and it fits with the increasingly popular no empty cases on the mound.
With that in mind, maybe mod 1 could be a clear acitate cover rather than the solid ally one. It would allow the scorer to count rounds and the shooter would be aware of how many to go.
Just a thought, great concept though.

DenisA

#19 Postby DenisA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am

Tim L wrote:Great idea Dennis, and it fits with the increasingly popular no empty cases on the mound.
With that in mind, maybe mod 1 could be a clear acitate cover rather than the solid ally one. It would allow the scorer to count rounds and the shooter would be aware of how many to go.

Thanks Tim. I'm stoked that you like it. I considered a few ideas regarding the cover. I kept coming back to the ultimate function of it being to shade the ammo from the sunlight and dissipate heat quickly.

In the lovely cool weather we're having at the moment, Its easy to forget how hot it gets in the summer sunlight on the range. Earlier in the year when it was HOT, laying on the mound in the blazing sun waiting for my shoot, I was thankful to see how effective this alloy sunshade is. I think everyone else will be too.

Tim L

#20 Postby Tim L » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 am

DenisA wrote:
Tim L wrote:Great idea Dennis, and it fits with the increasingly popular no empty cases on the mound.

Thanks Tim. I'm stoked that you like it. I considered a few ideas regarding the cover. I kept coming back to the ultimate function of it being to shade the ammo from the sunlight and dissipate heat quickly.

In the lovely cool weather we're having at the moment, Its easy to forget how hot it gets in the summer sunlight on the range. Earlier in the year when it was HOT, laying on the mound in the blazing sun waiting for my shoot, I was thankful to see how effective this alloy sunshade is. I think everyone else will be too.

Mate, you're talking to a North Queenslander, I put my bullets in a bullet warmer when I head South :D
Point taken though.

DenisA

#21 Postby DenisA » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 am

Sixty.10 Rattlers in F-Class team shooting.

This week I had the privilege of travelling to Western Australia with the Queensland F-Class teams to contribute as an F-Standard shooter on the extremely challenging Pinjar Rifle Range. Amongst an amazing field of shooters and coaches in all classes, Queensland delivered an incredible FSTD team with Andrew McKillop as Captain/Coach and David McKillop, Jim Claypole, Ivo Munro, Norm Cross and myself Denis Aarons as shooters.
When the dust settled on two days of shooting consisting of a single 20 shot match at 900 metres on the afternoon of day one and three fifteen shot matches at 700, 800 and 900 metres on day two, Andrew and I as shooter and coach were awarded the “National F Class Standard Teams NEW SOUTH WALES TOP OFF RIFLE” trophy in recognition of being the highest scoring F-Class Standard shooter / coach combination. Our score of 374.23 was actually the fourth highest in the competition only conceding the first (378.23 Courtney Day of WA), second (375.29 Trevor Jury of Vic) and third (374.30 Albert Van Wyk of Vic) highest scores to F-Open shooters running the 7mm’s.
In a field of 90 shooters and 18 teams, what a sensational result considering our score was produced with a simple .308Win running 155.5gn Berger Full Bore bullets. I won’t go into the specs of my Savage actioned, factory accu-triggered, pre-fit barrelled rifle. :lol:
Our Captain / Coach Andrew McKillop has been in OUTSTANDING form in his individual accomplishments over the past 12 months and his wind reading skills are of the most articulate that I have seen to date. His ability to watch and read the wind and follow it on the turret while landing 6’s and X’s with enormous changes is uncanny. The result that Andrew and I produced would not have happened without his expertise and his finite judgement could not have been printed on the target without the shooter dotting his I’s and crossing his t’s.
As a team shooter, novice as I may be, its apparent to me that there are some fundamental things that NEED to be done consistently with every single shot to make the coaches vision becomes a reality on the target.
It is a shooters responsibility to make sure that the foundation of his setup is flawless. The rifle must track perfectly and return to the centre of their own target. The scope must be set precisely to parallax free and to the most advantageous magnification.
Neither of these are as simple as they sound on a range such as Pinjar.
Pinjar Rifle Range is white sand. It quickly gets hot in the sun. The targets sit at ground level and therefore our line of sight is just above the hot white sand radiating endless waves of heat. The scope picture on a mild day was similar to looking through a lens smeared with vasoline. On the mild days that we shot in, at BEST, we had to wind the power back to 25x – 30x just to hold the cross hair centre of a smudged blur of where the 6 ring should be. Target rings were far from evident.

The shooter needs to release each shot with the highest level of consistency, they need to be conscious of their role and focus on the core duties. In my opinion, there are two key fundamentals that a shooter CAN NOT be liberal with.
Firstly, the shot MUST be released as soon as the coach commands “Go on”. The wind waits for no one.
Secondly the shooter MUST be efficient in preparing for the next shot. Once a shot is released, controlled speed is of the essence in ejecting the spent case, loading the next round and having your eye back on the glass, on the target ready for your next command to “go on”. If a condition is sustained, as short as that time may be, the coach will want to take full advantage of it and the shooter needs to allow that to happen.

Having shot my first official team match with the Rattler I was ECSTATIC. I felt like a well oiled machine and I was cycling the bolt FAST. My muscle memory had my hands repeating every movement with consistency, precision and speed. The bolt was cycled without a thought and as such the next round was picked out of the Rattler and loaded into the port without a look or a thought. I rarely took my eye off the glass and I was straight back on target ready to go within seconds of each shot. If it looked half as good as it felt it would have been awe inspiring.
The Rattler is an amazing piece of equipment in individual shooting, it’s a game changer whether it’s fast shooting or slow and picking. It allows unparalleled concentration on the conditions and refines the mechanical process of firing a shot and loading the next round to an efficient thoughtless action. The Rattler utilised in team shooting opens up another world again. As a shooter ONLY focused on his job without a thought to flags or anything going on down range, the Rattler bridges a gap between ammo handling and shooting. It turns potentially the chunkiest, least smooth flowing process for the shooter into a simple and fast flick of the hand.

Long story short. Rattlers and team shooting are best mates.

DenisA

#22 Postby DenisA » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:03 pm

G'Day All,

I have a small number of Rattlers available. Please see my post under Supplier News - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11434

Thanks.

DenisA

#23 Postby DenisA » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:06 am

The first .284Win Mk2 holder set up on a Farley standard base with adapter kit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DenisA

#24 Postby DenisA » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:26 pm

Sixty.10 FTR free standing plates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DenisA

#25 Postby DenisA » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Here’s a couple of Rattlers on free standing FTR plates that I’ll be taking out to Belmont on Saturday for people to have a free trial of. Originally intended for FTR, they’re also perfect FOpen in conjunction with any front rest and I’m hoping that some TR guys might also have a go. I think they’ll work really well in maintaining a TR shooters position.
I’ll be taking .308Win, .284Win and SAUM bodies.
If you’ll be on the Duncan at Belmont shooting this Saturday arvo 07.12.19 and want to have a free go, let me know. I already have some starters and having a go will be subject to availability.
Should be a great day.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”