Cortina on breaking in barrels

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

Cortina on breaking in barrels

#1 Postby PeteFox » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:54 pm

How to choose between breaking in or not
I think I’d have chosen the metal door

https://youtu.be/WJzgmFgylSw

Pete

Rich4

Re: Cortina on breaking in barrels

#2 Postby Rich4 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 am

I’d have to agree, looks like a permanent limp :lol:

Gyro

#3 Postby Gyro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:02 am

Nice one ! Attached is an article that might enlighten some about some dynamics that occur and why understanding what's happening in a bore re that bores 'preparedness' does matter.
https://peregrinemonolithics.com/how-to ... -shooting/

Accuracy

#4 Postby Accuracy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:48 am

Although I don't get carried away with barrel break in, I do the exact opposite of what Erik Cortina says.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Erik comes across as very confident of what he is saying on these videos. However he has changed his tune (no pun intended) on a few things over the years, and will undoubtedly continue to do so. You never stop learning in this game.

Rich4

#6 Postby Rich4 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:55 pm

Very true, I don’t think he’s trying to mislead anyone, but opinions change with learning if you have an open mind, if not your not learning

6.5x55ai

#7 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:07 pm

AlanF wrote:Erik comes across as very confident of what he is saying on these videos. However he has changed his tune (no pun intended) on a few things over the years, and will undoubtedly continue to do so. You never stop learning in this game.

Yep, had a bit of a giggle the other night. Recently he put up a vid saying "don't chase the lands" (and in a round about way contradicted himself). The vid the other night was him preparing for the relatively recent 2018 Texas Nats. He loaded all his ammo long with intention of adjusting each evening before the next day's events. His words for loading long "so he could chase the lands".

I enjoy his vids which appear well intentioned, and he has obviously has vast knowledge and the run rate to back up what he is saying but.......

Gyro

#8 Postby Gyro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:28 pm

6.5x55ai wrote:
AlanF wrote:Erik comes across as very confident of what he is saying on these videos. However he has changed his tune (no pun intended) on a few things over the years, and will undoubtedly continue to do so. You never stop learning in this game.

Yep, had a bit of a giggle the other night. Recently he put up a vid saying "don't chase the lands" (and in a round about way contradicted himself). The vid the other night was him preparing for the relatively recent 2018 Texas Nats. He loaded all his ammo long with intention of adjusting each evening before the next day's events. His words for loading long "so he could chase the lands".

I enjoy his vids which appear well intentioned, and he has obviously has vast knowledge and the run rate to back up what he is saying but.......

I saw him on an older vid the other night and he was recomending "chasing the lands"! I couldn't believe it. He reckoned leave the boolits seated out a ways so just prior to shooting you can allow for throat erosion, do a final seating operation and "chase the lands".

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:09 pm

No dissing EC here, he's having fun with it all. Lets all be honest : there's more theory, opinions and plain BS out there about what's supposedly going on and despite being a real sceptic about a great deal of it I've tried a few variations. Remember the BGC tool ? Just one of many. I built one myself and then after getting a different measurement every time I used it I realised it was a dodgy idea.

Now EC is taking the Litz line with ...."so much of this stuff actually doesn't matter ...."

Some of it does tho of course ...... but it's bloody hard to really prove a lot of stuff that's happening. Considering how many variables are occurring at once when you pull the trigger you have a bloody big problem right there ?

superx10

#10 Postby superx10 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Eric C shooting at 1000 yards

I never trust silver mountaun targets.??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5j7VzBX7GU

Rich4

#11 Postby Rich4 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Gyro wrote:
6.5x55ai wrote:

I saw him on an older vid the other night and he was recomending "chasing the lands"! I couldn't believe it. He reckoned leave the boolits seated out a ways so just prior to shooting you can allow for throat erosion, do a final seating operation and "chase the lands".

Also gives a fresh seating for firing!

pjifl

#12 Postby pjifl » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Notice he went to the range with 20 shots loaded - that we can see. The target shows a LOT more holes in it than his 5 shot group. We have no knowledge about all those other shots he fired. If you fire enough 4 shot groups chance is that one may be very small.

While he is impressed with his 5 shot group, what he is really wanting to rave about is his 4 shot group after discarding one shot.

No doubt he shot this in pristine conditions because he could choose his timeslot.

All done unverified on a target that has difficulty resolving to the accuracy he is claiming.

No doubt firing many groups and cherry picking out the one he wants to show you.

Why are we bothering to watch this type of tripe ?

Remember that guaranteed 1/4 minute rifle. After we discard two fliers, another 2 because of wind gusts, and another one that sounded different we no doubt have a supposedly genuine 1/4 minute rifle we can claim in an advertisement ?????? Doohhh.

Peter Smith.

Matt P

#13 Postby Matt P » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:05 pm

Check the date on the 1000 yard group !!
Think you’ll find it was 1st of April 8) 8)

Gyro

#14 Postby Gyro » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:28 am

I would guess that was EC's once in a lifetime group. I was in the butts manual marking at 1000yds once and a guy shot like that. There was not a breath of wind. It was crazy.

Interesting I thought watching how EC did the "gunhandling". I still reckon a gun will/can shoot best when you give it a death grip hold like EC was. But not when it blows !

pjifl

#15 Postby pjifl » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:59 am

OK. Matt picked up on this. Almost certainly it was an April Fools Day joke although not one of the comments following saw through it. This tells a lot about the man in my opinion.

There are a few small inconsistencies in the video which may or may not mean anything.

1/ If you watch the number of fired cartridges in the box, and their positions during the initial preparation pic, and then the supposed firing of the 5 shot group (last 5 shots) they show something quite different. Not impossible but it does indicate a suspicious edit.

2/ The position of the smartphone in the initial setup which was supposed just before the 5 shots were fired suddenly changed attitude. This indicates that there has been editing within the video.

3/ There has been a change of bolt position between the initial start and the 5 shots. Again this indicates some editing.

4/ Although the time intervals shown between shots agreed with the firing of the shots, nor any there shown any particularly long intervals, it is interesting that the smart phone screen went to sleep and needed to be woken up for shot 5.

The impression given is that the video faithfully records continuity between initial setup and finish of 5 shots. This is not borne out by watching continuity.

Peter Smith.

Return to “Equipment & Technical”