Is F class/fullbore ever shot from 200 yds???

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Is F class/fullbore ever shot from 200 yds???

#1 Postby RDavies » Sun May 06, 2007 12:05 pm

I read the NRAA fulbore rule book full bore today and it says distances shot are from 200yds to 1000yds. I noticed some fullbore clubs have a 200yd line, but I have never seen 200yds shot at club or OPMs in my area. Is F class ever shot at 200 yds or meters in other areas in Australia?

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Sun May 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Not at our club...FB ir FC
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon May 07, 2007 11:56 am

Our range has a 200 yd mound but it's only ever used for sighting in etc. except for when we shoot 'hunting rifle', then we use it but not with the std targets. If you consider how the target is abused at 300yd/m, imagine what it would be like at 200, how would you decide who had won when all the shots are able to be put in the middle. At that distance there's little challenge and much damage to the centre of target faces.

RDavies

#4 Postby RDavies » Mon May 07, 2007 6:25 pm

Lynn, I wouldnt think it would be a normal 300 yd target, because as you said, the center would be wrecked. I was wondering if 200yds is ever shot, especialy here in Australia. Up where I live, 300 yds is the shortest range, but I would like to know if 200 yds is shot in NSW as I will be moving there in a few months.

Lynn Otto

#5 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon May 07, 2007 7:11 pm

I would also be interested if anyone is using 200yd and what targets they use as our club is currently looking at building an under cover 200yd range to allow us to shoot in inclement whether etc. But my guess is that it would be most uncommon in our particular discipline. :-k
Lynn

Ken L

#6 Postby Ken L » Tue May 08, 2007 5:18 am

After the publication of the last ATR I was contacted by the QRA in regard to not only restoring the recently deleted F Class Field rifle division to the SSR's but to extend the rules to cover shooting over the counter rifles at ranges from 100 yards to 300 from the prone position. They have a need for rules to cover this style of shooting as there are people who dont want to shoot the current FCTS ( Chapter 17) style of shooting from standing and seated positions in restricted time specifications 5 shots in 30 seconds and 1 shot in 3 seconds

I see the only way now, to achieve this restoration is to lobby the NRAA into forming a specific advisory rules committee to develope a seperate set of rules and have them develop the seperate rules to format rules and targets to suite the requirements.
And then hope when these rules are published that the FS and FO rules are not deleted :evil: :twisted: :roll:

I would suggest that the rules be called FRTS ( Factory Rifle Target Shooting) and the rules could incorporate the new proposed F Class Rimfire division as well.

balcom

#7 Postby balcom » Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 am

RDavies wrote:Lynn, I wouldnt think it would be a normal 300 yd target, because as you said, the center would be wrecked. I was wondering if 200yds is ever shot, especialy here in Australia. Up where I live, 300 yds is the shortest range, but I would like to know if 200 yds is shot in NSW as I will be moving there in a few months.

Yes 200yds was or used to be shot in NSW, at the prospect range it went from 200 to 600yds only, until they built the F4 freeway then the Prospect & Blacktown clubs split up, some to Malabar some to Katoomba & some to Hornsby.
The 200yds was part of the club program and unlike what was quoted in an earlier post it was very hard to get a possible let alone centres.
PeterH

Lynn Otto

#8 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon May 21, 2007 4:36 pm

balcom wrote: ...unlike what was quoted in an earlier post it was very hard to get a possible let alone centres.
PeterH

Hi Peter, what target were they using?

Lynn

balcom

#9 Postby balcom » Tue May 22, 2007 8:29 am

Lynn Otto wrote:
balcom wrote: ...unlike what was quoted in an earlier post it was very hard to get a possible let alone centres.
PeterH

Hi Peter, what target were they using?

Lynn

Hi Lynn,
From memory they were the same as the targets of today but smaller, the NSWRA may have info on them but it was a few years ago now, I cant help you on that as I was just a junior member then and had nothing to do with the running of the club.
Cheers PeterH

Return to “General Forum”