Gun registration query

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Billy308

Gun registration query

#1 Postby Billy308 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:45 am

Hi all,
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to check up on a family members list of registered firearms, or is it something only the licenced owner can do.
And if there was a firearm that you were unsure wether it was registered or not would it pay to wait until a gun amnesty period before you tried to register it.? This person has a she'll be right attitude and I dont want to see this person loose all of their guns when the police check his safe for the sake of an old 303 that is never used, being unregistered.
Bill

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:38 pm

Bill

In SA I think only the licence holder can check, if you go to the police station with the licence they can print you out a list of firearms registered to that licence. So I doubt you would be able to check someone else's. Of course I'm not 100% certain of this, but this has been our experience.

Lynn

Billy308

#3 Postby Billy308 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:20 pm

Thanks Lynn

Surgeon

#4 Postby Surgeon » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:23 pm

I think all Firearm Dealers have the capability of finding out if a certain firearm is registered or not , and what a client has registered to him/her for paperwork checking through F/Registry SA

jcinsa

#5 Postby jcinsa » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:36 pm

I recently discovered SA firearms Branch had no record of a firearm that I bought and registered 20 years ago. I informed the firearms branch and we decided on the following course:
I handed it in a a gun store who treated it as a new firearm. Then filled out the permission to purchase, and picked it up 1 month later after approval to purchase was granted.

JC

ogre6br

#6 Postby ogre6br » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:57 pm

I still have a fire on my liscense that I sold over 10 years ago and LSD Vic has been told about and they have even been given the dealers book number to confirm the disposal- but on a recent enquiry there it was still in my name.

but one I brought 4 years ago wasn't but was on the previous form.

go to your local friendly dealer and work out a law abiding way of getting the firearm correctly registered in your name.

there are many ways to skin a cat andd as long as the forms are filled in etc the dumbocrats are happy.

later
p

Return to “General Forum”