F class shooter Julian Daley just became Australian A grade trap champion as a newbie

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

F class shooter Julian Daley just became Australian A grade trap champion as a newbie

#1 Postby RDavies » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:17 pm

I just heard through the grape vine that Julian Daley has just won the Australian A grade trap championships as a newbie. Julian had only recently bought a shotgun and taken up trap shooting for a bit of fun until the Mackay F class range reopens. Understandably, Julian was a bit too busy to chat when I rang him a few minutes ago to confirm this, and I suspect he is busy checking out his new car which I think was first prize. P.S. As further proof that he is actually more than just a pretty face, this is the same Julian Daley who for a bit of a laugh, got his first F Open gun a few weeks before the Canada F class World Championships, to come and have a bit of a play, only to come 15th in the world. Awesome job Julian. My money is on you to win Dancing with the Stars when we see you on the big screen shortly.

DenisA

Re: F class shooter Julian Daley just became Australian A grade trap champion as a newbie

#2 Postby DenisA » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:59 pm

WOW!! Congratulations Julian..... Lovely bloke also.

bruce moulds

Re: F class shooter Julian Daley just became Australian A grade trap champion as a newbie

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 pm

I find shotgun shooting a little imcongrous with rifle shooting due I suspect to different trigger control methods.
if I improve at one, the other suffers and vice versa.
one who excels at both is to be applauded.
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Julian D

#4 Postby Julian D » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks Rod
You are the legend.
No car but a bucket load of cash ........

DaveB

#5 Postby DaveB » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 am

Hey, good stuff Julian, obviously having too much fun with the scattergun,,, well done mate.

Tim L

#6 Postby Tim L » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:35 am

Good on ya Jules. I hope you bring the shotgun to Queens.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:45 am

Very well done Julian =D> =D> . Now what we need to know is, are their things you do in either discipline which help in the other? :D

Julian D

#8 Postby Julian D » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:29 pm

The only similarities I think, would be the ability to concentrate when needed & totally relax your mind when you get a chance.
Anyone after a few lessons can hit a clay target, not that hard really, but to be able to hit 20 or 50 or 100 in a row all comes down to concentration.
The double barrel shoot off went for 775 targets before the young fellow won.....

The other thing would be remembering your sight picture when you release the shot, at least that way you know if you were behind, high, low etc... and you can correct your timing as needed.

I love the sport, it's fast and an absolute pleasure to watch, it is a spectator sport, evidence of that is when there is a shoot off, there are literally hundreds of people watching, quite nerve racking to tell the truth.

The Nationals had over 500 shooters, went for 6 days, had 2 cars on offer & over $60,000 worth of prizes.
It was an eye opener, that's for sure.

I personally think the NRAA could take a leaf out of the ACTA's book.

Anthony H

#9 Postby Anthony H » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 am

I agree with Julian. Due to shift work I am not able to get to the full bore range on regular occasions. My local trap club shoots on selected weekdays as well as night time every month, as well as weekends. It is a lot easier to get one shoot in per week so that is what I have been doing. Very cheap to get into the sport. A good quality shotgun costs less than half of what some F Class shooters spend on a scope. Ammo is cheap and there is no need for expensive reloading equipment. I have been to a few comps and can confirm they are run very well with a lot of people attending. The numbers far out weigh anything I have seen at local NRAA club comps. I am afraid that F Class has become a race to the top as far as equipment is concerned, and I am not interested in that at all. I lost interest at the the last NRAA comp I attended when I saw a shooter on the mound using a very expensive spotting scope to monitor mirage because apparently his $4000 March scope was not good enough. It is quickly becoming a rich mans sport if you want to be competitive.

GSells

#10 Postby GSells » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:20 am

Congratulations Julian or should I say “ Champ “ lol! Hope u stay in touch with us rifle shooters . :lol:

Tatty 4578

#11 Postby Tatty 4578 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Congrats Jules outstanding effort =D> ...Your shout for the beers next time I think . :D
BJ

Return to “Events”