F Class Queens

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#16 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:29 am

Barry Davies wrote:...Run this event Bi-anually...

I presume you mean two-yearly? (my dictionary defines biannual as twice a year).
...Ideally you would run it as an event prior to a Queens and probably no more than 2 days...

I'd like to get a wider opinion on that. I think that would suit retirees more, but many of us would struggle to find the 8 or 10 days in a row to attend the F-Class, Leadup, and Queens. I personally would prefer a standalone 3 day event. If it can't attract sufficient numbers to run by itself (and I'm sure it will if its well planned and promoted), then it probably shouldn't be held.

Alan

#17 Postby Guest » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Sorry, meant Biennially ( every 2 years)
A stand alone event over 3 days might prove to be rather expensive for a small number of competitors.
I agree that 7or8 days of shooting would be a big ask of anyone ( even retirees) so too would 2 trips to Bendigo or Canberra or wherever in the one year. My guess is that priorities would be set and one or the other shoots would miss out.
Fact is everybody cannot do them all.
So, where do everyones priorities lie?
Barry.

Matt P

#18 Postby Matt P » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Barry
I probably should have started with Australian Champs but I wanted to get peoples attention, your're right we need to look at the negatives more so than the positives so everyone keep them coming.
The idea of every second year is a good one and I agree Canberra is the best place to start.
I would prefer to hold it away from the Queens in say April- May as Alan said 8 days away from home maybe too much and after 8 days of shooting you'd need a week to recover and also most would need to reload at the range and most aren't set up for it.
Please keep the coments coming.
Shooters from Qld and WA would you make the journey ???

Matt P

pjifl

#19 Postby pjifl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:29 pm

Enough good cases for these combined shoots strung over 5 days or so is a huge problem. And a huge cost. I had to reload during the Queens in Mackay and it was daunting and interfered significantly with my interaction with others some nights. I was in a small tent and never want to repeat the experience!

After this decided never to do it again so went to a 5 day shoot in Townsville with what was really insufficient decent ammo. Was pertified of a shootoff and some of my scores in the leadup suffered.

I noticed many are using a second rifle to alleviate this problem but thats not a real solution.

I have to get my act togeather so reloading is possible. Need to preweigh into vials or something like that. Getting decent vials is also not that easy.

What do others do ?

I see fewer people turning up for the lead up and more for the main event. Some of the older retirees take the leadup as more relaxed holiday time but others cannot. This determines the competition somewhat and attendance.

As others have said, competing with a Queens is not a good idea. But if some special event could be arranged maybe as even a one day add on occasionally that may be OK.

Last year I went to three shoots of more than 3 days duration. Rochampton, Mackay and Townsville. Townsville is up to a Queens standard - probably surpassing many especially in FO. Rockhampton is a long Easter shoot. Travelling further to other long shoots is a hard and expensive ask with these also on the agenda. Even though I live in Qld, I feel that any major shoot in Brisbane is as far away for me as Perth.

Peter.

Warwick Brown

#20 Postby Warwick Brown » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:16 pm

Matt,
Ideas are always good in that they get people thinking.
Eastern state shooter are all relatively close to each other compared to us sandgropers. At least 4 of us will be shooting in the ACT Queens in November and hope to see as many F Class shooters, (Open & Standard),
Optical class and target rifle shooters as possible.
We will be shooting for seven days straight and then heading back to Perth.
The Tuesday before the Queens is an F Class & Optical Class OPM.
With 10 and 15 Shot matches I believe. Open - Standard & Optical could all compete on this day.
What the Canberra Rifle Club need is a show of hands to indicate numbers and what your preferred style of shooting is.
This may be improved on for next year.
The ACT is a good venue for attracting a large number of shooters, as it is the most central location over there. Either a stand alone F Class championship or an F Class event prior to the ACT Queens is all good as the people going to the Queens need only take an extra day or two off work to compete.
I think an F Class only shoot would be fine, but should be back to back with a Queens shoot so people can get there to compete.
This years ACT Queens would be a perfect opportunity to try it out.
You will have at least 4 WA shooters there already. They are going to run an F Class OPM on the Tuesday anyway - they are in the planning stage for the Tuesday shoot at the moment, Open - Standard - Optical could all shoot together and get along for a change with discussion about improving on the idea for next year. :arrow: :D :D :D
Perceive-Believe-Achieve

Return to “General Forum”