Importing Rifle Stocks?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

PeteFox

Importing Rifle Stocks?

#1 Postby PeteFox » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:13 am

Does anyone know if stocks can be imported from the US without the government getting involved. Are there any permits involved?
Pete

willow

Re: Importing Rifle Stocks?

#2 Postby willow » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:54 pm

PeteFox wrote:Does anyone know if stocks can be imported from the US without the government getting involved. Are there any permits involved?
Pete

There's buggerall to do at this end - it's getting it out of the US, so you need to look at companies who export direct, or use a third party to export.

cheech

#3 Postby cheech » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Depends on the value , with current exchange rate may put you over $1k au , then you’ll be slugged bit for this bit for that and some more because they can , I went through this with a Kelbly stock 2 1/2 yrs ago didn’t save anything in the end

wsftr

#4 Postby wsftr » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:38 am

The US companies need a permit to export. As part of that permit that have to show they are exporting to an approved country and are meeting that countries requirements, which leads to....If the importing country doesn't need a permit then a letter clarifying this and a reference in the letter to the relevant import section is all that is needed....in my case anyways. The exporter then attaches all of this paperwork to the parcel for customs to peruse.
You will have to pay export permits from out of the US (us $110 from memory a couple of years ago) and all of the import duties etc.
kelblys are very very good to deal with.

saum2

#5 Postby saum2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 am

Why don't you use an Australian stock maker? plenty to choose from any many design options. Quite a few on this site.

sungazer

#6 Postby sungazer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:04 pm

I kind of like the Cerus stocks from the US but the exchange rate would make them pretty expensive. I would like a butt stock like on a F open rifle but the beaver tail type long forarm as it would be a Fstd of a bipod rifle. In a nice wood the lamination's like the Cerus seem to be a good compromise of classic look but still with the strength of a laminate.

PeteFox

#7 Postby PeteFox » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:15 pm

saum2 wrote:Why don't you use an Australian stock maker? plenty to choose from any many design options. Quite a few on this site.

Because left hand shooters are barely catered for here, and when you do find a LH stock it is offered inletted for a RH action. I’m after something off the shelf so I can remove the stock from my PSR rifle replace for farm use. When I come across this ridiculous s...t I tend to vote with my wallet.
Pete

saum2

#8 Postby saum2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 pm

PeteFox wrote:
saum2 wrote:Why don't you use an Australian stock maker? plenty to choose from any many design options. Quite a few on this site.

Because left hand shooters are barely catered for here, and when you do find a LH stock it is offered inletted for a RH action. I’m after something off the shelf so I can remove the stock from my PSR rifle replace for farm use. When I come across this ridiculous s...t I tend to vote with my wallet.
Pete

Ok so contact Ken Noye. problem solved

willow

#9 Postby willow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm

sungazer wrote:I kind of like the Cerus stocks from the US but the exchange rate would make them pretty expensive. I would like a butt stock like on a F open rifle but the beaver tail type long forarm as it would be a Fstd of a bipod rifle. In a nice wood the lamination's like the Cerus seem to be a good compromise of classic look but still with the strength of a laminate.

The yanks love them and I hear they are looking at trying to get a foothold here, but the market would be small given what I suspect the price would be.

Matt P

#10 Postby Matt P » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:50 pm

sungazer wrote:I kind of like the Cerus stocks from the US but the exchange rate would make them pretty expensive. I would like a butt stock like on a F open rifle but the beaver tail type long forarm as it would be a Fstd of a bipod rifle. In a nice wood the lamination's like the Cerus seem to be a good compromise of classic look but still with the strength of a laminate.

I have access to Cerus stocks but a Cerus finished with basic timber and hardware would work out around 3 grand, if you want exotic timber, and adjustable LOP etc, it goes up from there.
If anyone is interested please contact me, I need an minimum order of 4 stocks to make it viable.
Matt Paroz

Return to “General Forum”