Passing of Greg Hair

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Passing of Greg Hair

#1 Postby AlanF » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:33 am

I received a call this morning regarding Greg Hair, a member of Rosedale Club, and was shocked and saddened to hear that he passed away yesterday. Greg has lived a few km up the road from me for about 30 years, but I'd never met him until a few months ago when he called in to inquire about target shooting at Rosedale. He was initially interested in TR so we gave him as much help as we could given that our active membership is almost entirely F-Class. It was mentioned that TR usually has a longer learning curve than the F-Classes, and he then revealed that he had a serious illness and wasn't sure how much time he had. So we swung into action to get him going in F-Standard. We gave him as much technical advice as he could reasonably absorb, and assisted with ordering equipment and components, David Brewster had his rifle built in about 2 weeks, and he had his first 60 possible after a few weeks shooting. He then set his sights on the NSWRA Queens and in case you don't know, he entered F-Standard B and won the Leadup and Grand. Two days ago he rang and said he had something to show me, so I asked him over for a cup of coffee, and he proudly produced a congratulatory letter from NRAA Chairman George Wittorf. As an organisation, we've been able give him something very special in his last few months of life. I was told this morning that he died having his morning nap with his blue heeler "Diesel" at his side, and probably with a smile on his face.

ajvanwyk

Re: Passing of Greg Hair

#2 Postby ajvanwyk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:04 pm

He was an absolute gentleman and it was inspirational to see him embrace shooting as his passion. He will be missed!!
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Trevor Rhodes

#3 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:24 pm

It's tragic to lose such keen people.

jasmay

#4 Postby jasmay » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:55 pm

Wow.... that’s terrible, great to hear the effort you guys went to for him in his last few months..

RIP...

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:14 pm

I should add Greg had nothing but good things to say about the help he received at the NSWRA Queens. Amongst other things we'd forgotten to adjust his trigger and it was found to be on the light side. But most of his success has been down to his own willingness to listen and learn combined with gutsy determination.

flatlina

#6 Postby flatlina » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:34 pm

Darwin Rifle Club just lost one of its Members. Maurie Blake passed away a couple of days ago. He has been a very long time FB and later FO shooter.

Steve N

#7 Postby Steve N » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:53 am

I was shocked to hear of Greg's passing so soon after being lucky enough to be there to help share his excitement at the NSW Queens as a Rosedale clubmate. He was extremely grateful for all of the advice and support so freely given by everyone and will be deeply missed.

Tim N

#8 Postby Tim N » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:02 am

I just met Greg at the NSW Queens and as stated before he was a real gentleman who was enjoying every minute of the shoot, learning and winning too.
He will be missed.
Condolences to Greg's family and friends.
Tim
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

GC

#9 Postby GC » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:35 am

So very sorry to hear of Greg's passing.

The staff and officials at the NSWRA office have nothing but praise for Greg,he was indeed a gentleman and thanked the office staff for their assistance prior to his departure. I also had the privilege of meeting Greg. As he was one of the first on the range he volunteered to help us get a number of jobs done which was greatly appreciated. It was my pleasure to show Greg around the facilities and he took a great interest in the items we had on display in the auditorium. To present him with his No 1 badge for the McIntosh Leadup was a fitting reward for his efforts.

We do have some very nice photos of him that we would like to send to the family if someone could contact the NSWRA office with their details at execofficer@nswra.org.au.

R.I.P Greg you achieved so much in so little time with your rifle shooting career.

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:46 am

GC wrote:...We do have some very nice photos of him that we would like to send to the family if someone could contact the NSWRA office with their details at execofficer@nswra.org.au...

Thank you, much appreciated. I have e-mailed your office, and when received can forward them to Nikki and the family.

Return to “General Forum”