NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

Results, photos of recent events, plan future events, let people know where you'll be competing.

Moderator: Mod

Azzopardi

Re: NRAA QUEENS / Australian Championships

#46 Postby Azzopardi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:21 pm

The Nationals Needs to be the pinnacle of our sport.

The STD lead up shoot can be a “short range nationals” and the STD Queens can be the “long range Nationals”

The NRAA can request tenders from the states every year or 2. The money the NRAA save/make can be reinvested back into the Nationals to make it even better.

Badges go to 1st, 2nd, 3rd. That’s it.
Regards,
Azzo

jasmay

#47 Postby jasmay » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Where has Bruce gone with the reality?

AlanF

#48 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 am

Proposed Entry Requirements and Format for Australian National Championships

1. Eligible classes TR, FStd, FO and F/TR, with no grading.
  2. Field sizes limited to the number of targets available such that all competitors in each class can shoot simultaneously at every stage.
  3. All entries by invitation of the NRAA.
  4. S & T Associations given entry quotas in each class proportional to their number of shooters competing at Queens level during the previous 12 months
  5. S & Ts left to select shooters to fill their quotas by whatever methods they choose. Some might use a club and state championship qualification system, others might be less rigorous.
  6. An additional NRAA quota in each class to cater for shooters who for various reasons have not been included in the S & T quotas. Examples are international visitors, major shoot (e.g. Queens) winners from the previous 12 months, and "qualifiers" from the proposed leadup Queens series (see below).
  7. Event to be held every 2 years immediately following a selected Queens Series.
  8. Course of fire Day 1 800, 900, 1000yds x 15 shots, Day 2 800, 900, 1000yds x 15 shots (or metric equivalent).
  9. Targets manually marked (or ETs with 5 second delay :shock: ).

RDavies

#49 Postby RDavies » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 am

AlanF wrote:Proposed Entry Requirements and Format for Australian National Championships

1. Eligible classes TR, FStd, FO and F/TR, with no grading.
  2. Field sizes limited to the number of targets available such that all competitors in each class can shoot simultaneously at every stage.
  3. All entries by invitation of the NRAA.
  4. S & T Associations given entry quotas in each class proportional to their number of shooters competing at Queens level during the previous 12 months
  5. S & Ts left to select shooters to fill their quotas by whatever methods they choose. Some might use a club and state championship qualification system, others might be less rigorous.
  6. An additional NRAA quota in each class to cater for shooters who for various reasons have not been included in the S & T quotas. Examples are international visitors, major shoot (e.g. Queens) winners from the previous 12 months, and "qualifiers" from the proposed leadup Queens series (see below).
  7. Event to be held every 2 years immediately following a selected Queens Series.
  8. Course of fire Day 1 800, 900, 1000yds x 15 shots, Day 2 800, 900, 1000yds x 15 shots (or metric equivalent).
  9. Targets manually marked (or ETs with 5 second delay :shock: ).

This would be good. Maybe the final 1000yd (or both) could be pairs firing (Bisley style) over 20 shots?
Last edited by RDavies on Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quick

#50 Postby Quick » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:18 am

Alan,

That's actually quite good!!!! It would give people something to strive for.

Jason,

Maybe he didn't like what the reality actually is....
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

jasmay

#51 Postby jasmay » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 am

Unless another stream of income is developed for the NRAA I cannot see them wanting to reduce/limit numbers at an event which generates income for them.

I like the idea, but there is other issues it brings forth.

AlanF

#52 Postby AlanF » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am

jasmay wrote:Unless another stream of income is developed for the NRAA I cannot see them wanting to reduce/limit numbers at an event which generates income for them.

I like the idea, but there is other issues it brings forth.

Jason,

This would not replace the National Queens. It would be tacked onto various Queens Series and probably enhance their attendances.

scott/r

#53 Postby scott/r » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:20 am

I'll be honest guys, I'm not a fan of your idea of changing the NRAA Queen's nomination process. I like the idea of having people pay their money to have a go. If it we had to qualify to enter from previous wins, I wouldn't have 2016 NRAA Queen's Prize Number 1 T/R B Grade badge sitting pride of place on the mantle at home. I'd only been shooting for about 3 years and I had to beat nearly all of my personal best scores to get it, but I got it, and mainly because I was able to just rock up and have a go. Which is what we are trying to get everyone else to do, isn't it? I mean, how else are we going to boost numbers?
Scott.

Wingnut

#54 Postby Wingnut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:53 am

I don’t think the NRAA championship should be an invitation only event. For me, that would be a separate event that would need to be created. My perspective follows on from Scott’s, where anyone should be able to turn up and shoot it. I wonder how many would turn up if it was shot in their state at the start of the year, once every seven years. We don’t want to discourage people from having a go, or feeling they can compete at the highest levels. We run the risk of creating a little clique which will cause its own issues.

Tim L

#55 Postby Tim L » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:01 pm

But how many people from the Southern States would make the trip North to NQ ot NT?

The recent North Queensland veterans teams match was a shameful display of what could be expected.

Wingnut

#56 Postby Wingnut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:26 pm

I can’t speak for anyone else. I’m planning on doing the Alice springs and Darwin OPMs next year. It’s not a cheap exercise and one that will require me to take a month off work to do it all. That’s the killer for me, it’s valuable time I won’t be spending with my family. But if we move the comp around. Get some sponsors and put up some decent prizes I would bet my left nut we’d get people there. It removes the tyranny of distance for many and only being shot locally every seven years should be a good motivator for people to support it.

AlanF

#57 Postby AlanF » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:57 pm

I hereby apologise for proposing that we have a new National Championship! I've now had a complete change of heart, and would like to propose some different changes more in line with our modern egalitarian society. How about a system of demerit points, say 2 for a local PM win, 5 for a Queens win etc., and if you reach 20 points, you're suspended from competitions for a year or two. Another idea, why not dispense with selection trials for our FCWC teams. Instead, have a ballot system where anyone can put their hat in the ring...

JUST JOKING.... :D

But seriously, is it now politically incorrect to encourage the best of the best in our sport to get together once every year or two for a serious competition that they have earned the right to enter??

Wingnut

#58 Postby Wingnut » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:06 am

Only if everyone attending gets a participation award Alan... you know the rules!!!

scott/r

#59 Postby scott/r » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:55 am

But seriously, is it now politically incorrect to encourage the best of the best in our sport to get together once every year or two for a serious competition that they have earned the right to enter??[/quote]

Not by any means, that would be something that I would attend as a spectator.
I was under the impression that was what you guys were proposing to have the NRAA Queen's become.
Scott.

Quick

#60 Postby Quick » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:37 am

Scott,

Isn't that what the NRAA Queens should be however?? A national championship? That's truly seen as one? Not just another QLD Queens.

Alan,

I sorta see both sides. I have done 3 NRAA queens, my first in 2014, and then last 2 in 2018 and 2019. Each year I have learnt a ton. I managed win the grand in F/TR this year but I dont think that It would have been possible if I didnt have that prior experience from other queens that I can enter and shoot.

But I do think that we do need something more of a national championship. Similar to the yanks do perhaps with mid and long range. Or we can be sadists and do 4 days of 15 shots at 1000yds bisley style at belmont, that I'm fine with. Id like it to stay there as its a great facility and is easy for many to get to, even WA guys. Its actually one of the easiest as the range isn't far from airport and accommodation is cheap.

Im going to canberra for the 2020 500m Fly Nationals and its going to cost me double what I pay in belmont for accommodation already. I get cost is part and parcel of what we do and I accept that, but we should keep such an event somewhere which is easy for everyone.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Events”