Alpha Munitions - Brass interest

Get or give advice on equipment, reloading and other technical issues.

Moderator: Mod

willow

Re: Alpha Munitions - Brass interest

#16 Postby willow » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Dicko wrote:Hi Willow,
I will be needing some new .308 SRP brass next Year.
I have heard good reports on Alpha brass so keen to try some myself!

How many cases would you be after Dicko?

willow

#17 Postby willow » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:Saum brass is what l'm interested in and also Dasher.

I can't do more than ask Adam to rattle the cages of Alpha regarding SAUM brass. How many Dasher cases would you be interested in Trev?

willow

#18 Postby willow » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:31 pm

saum2 wrote:Just a guess but, 10,000 SAUM brass will sell

I don't shoot a SAUM but know plenty who do so I don't doubt this at all! I'll ask the question...

Mick_762

#19 Postby Mick_762 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:06 pm

.243 and 260 - 200 of each - BUT

As long as there is also ongoing supply, not like the Peterson brass.
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

disb

#20 Postby disb » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Any indication on price?
I seem to remember but don’t quote me, Beau was quite expensive on 308SRP.

willow

#21 Postby willow » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:17 am

disb wrote:Any indication on price?
I seem to remember but don’t quote me, Beau was quite expensive on 308SRP.

No idea on price at this stage sorry - I know it won't be cheap given our dollar and the fact that Alpha charge a premium for their product so there's no getting around that factor.

BATattack

#22 Postby BATattack » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 am

willow wrote:
sungazer wrote:There was a guy that started to import and distribute the brass. Did he give up on the idea.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9735&hilit=alpha

The Australian distributor is http://www.precisionvarminting.com.au/products.html

Without going into too much detail, effectively yes, he did bring some in but for whatever reason there hasn't been a regular supply. The new business I am speaking with is trying to change that, but they also understand the market for some of this brass is a hard one to crack and understand the need to be realistic about the quantities that people want, and what they can afford to sell.

I'm hearing good things about the Alpha Dasher brass, so that's something that may take off over time as it's the only non-fireforming option available. Once some more user feedback makes its way out there I think it will pick up in popularity, but the main thing right now is to try and gauge how much genuine interest there is in bringing brass in given Alpha don't have the same volume of manufacturing as the likes of Lapua, Norma, Hornady etc.

Thanks for the responses so far guys, keep them coming!

Beau from precision varminting went to SHOT show and arranged a deal with alpha. Minimum annual order was about 100,000 cases from memory. To gauge the appetite he bought a decent batch at a not so wholesale price with the intent to go to 100,000 plus cases per year to get the wholesale price.

I posted on here that he was importing and that it is available. I mentioned that the 308 SRP brass has large flash holes and everyone had a meltdown. I've done a decent amount of testing and ES / SD and pressure handling ability has been JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER with the large flash hole.

The reason supply may be erratic is that people probably haven't been ordering the quantities to allow good stock holding, large orders and cheaper prices. Quick has posted the details of precision varminting so get in touch with Beau as he has been very helpful with fast postage and contacts with the case designers for tech support.

willow

#23 Postby willow » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:29 pm

BATattack wrote:
willow wrote:
sungazer wrote:There was a guy that started to import and distribute the brass. Did he give up on the idea.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9735&hilit=alpha

The Australian distributor is http://www.precisionvarminting.com.au/products.html

Without going into too much detail, effectively yes, he did bring some in but for whatever reason there hasn't been a regular supply. The new business I am speaking with is trying to change that, but they also understand the market for some of this brass is a hard one to crack and understand the need to be realistic about the quantities that people want, and what they can afford to sell.

I'm hearing good things about the Alpha Dasher brass, so that's something that may take off over time as it's the only non-fireforming option available. Once some more user feedback makes its way out there I think it will pick up in popularity, but the main thing right now is to try and gauge how much genuine interest there is in bringing brass in given Alpha don't have the same volume of manufacturing as the likes of Lapua, Norma, Hornady etc.

Thanks for the responses so far guys, keep them coming!

Beau from precision varminting went to SHOT show and arranged a deal with alpha. Minimum annual order was about 100,000 cases from memory. To gauge the appetite he bought a decent batch at a not so wholesale price with the intent to go to 100,000 plus cases per year to get the wholesale price.

I posted on here that he was importing and that it is available. I mentioned that the 308 SRP brass has large flash holes and everyone had a meltdown. I've done a decent amount of testing and ES / SD and pressure handling ability has been JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER with the large flash hole.

The reason supply may be erratic is that people probably haven't been ordering the quantities to allow good stock holding, large orders and cheaper prices. Quick has posted the details of precision varminting so get in touch with Beau as he has been very helpful with fast postage and contacts with the case designers for tech support.

Beau has some 308 Alpha brass still in stock but otherwise that's it, and he's not looking at bringing any more in. I've discussed this at length with him as he was also keen on the new 6GT.

The potential new supplier has been in touch with Alpha and told them that the quantities they originally wanted to move isn't feasible in Australia. I have been advised that Alpha acknowledge and understand this. The likely new supplier is locked in for SHOT and will be meeting with Alpha and are looking at bringing back 5000 pieces of 6GT brass and 2000 of the new Dasher brass, and potentially some additional bits and pieces that members here are interested in - that's not a lock in yet - I'll have a chat with them next week to give them an update on who wants what. They are currently in the process of sorting out paperwork for bringing brass back.

Pricing is yet to be locked in but given they charge a premium for it in the US, expect the same here.

Longranger

#24 Postby Longranger » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:04 pm

Matt P wrote:Looks like quality brass concern for me is the SRP sees to have a large flash hole, which is part of the benefit of SRP.

This is interesting as the 223Rem Lapua brass is obviously SRP and is extremely consistent in velocity - with a large flash hole. I'm currently using Alpha 308 brass in SRP form, nice brass. The Alpha brass was very uniform and over 100 cases had an extreme weight spread of 0.78gns. That is the best I have seen yet. Very nice at holding elevation at 900m.

willow

#25 Postby willow » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 pm

Alrighty, a brief update - it's not good news on the 7SAUM front for anyone interested in that. Apparently Alpha have no plans to make 7SAUM brass at this stage. I should have some pricing available next week on their existing brass.

Trevor Rhodes

#26 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm

What about 300 saum?

willow

#27 Postby willow » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:50 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:What about 300 saum?

That I don't know, but I'll ask the question - I know they have some new piece of automation which they're excited about and reckon will take brass manufacturing to the next level, hopefully it makes it easier to bring new calibres online.

willow

#28 Postby willow » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Alrighty, a brief update on the status of Alpha brass in Australia. There is now officially a new Australian distributor/reseller - 3 Gun Tactical, based in Qld and run by a very personable fellow named Adam. Adam recently got back from SHOT and has an order in with Alpha, with brass hopefully available for sale in the next couple of months - the new changes to ITAR and exports has a few people in the US scratching their heads as to how it now works, but it should result in less paperwork and cost to get most things, such as brass, out of the US. Still awaiting pricing on the Alpha brass but I suspect it will be around $2.60 per case, so not cheap but you do get what you pay for.

I'm told the order is for around 10,000 pieces of brass, with the majority being 6GT and 6 Dasher (about 2000 each), along with 6 and 6.5 Creedmore. Other calibres will also be coming in but in smaller quantities. Alpha should update their website to show 3 Gun Tactical being the new Australian distributor but for anyone interested, here is Adam's website:

https://www.3gt.com.au/

Mozzie

#29 Postby Mozzie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Willow
Thanks for the update
Cheers
Mozzie
My truck doesn’t run on love, it runs on diesel.
However, I love my rifle and it runs on lead. #-o

USAS

#30 Postby USAS » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Very happy that someone else is importing this now. Tried to get brass from beau for about a year and a half, got the massive run around. Kept telling me it was about to ship or just organising shipping then nothing ever happened, pretty dissapointing. Interestingly I see that there is 2 Facebook sites that have popped up. One called Alpha Munitions australia claiming to be as such and promoting another precisionsportz.com.au as retail agent https://www.facebook.com/Precision-Sportz-632830147221934/?eid=ARDB97zT-ZFZOfSl2hlmigBOdhCmwFP6FCl0RCtAFrTJZnLgR3QqDxiS5G9lLV4XomgVyK-QDtRf69a2

Return to “Equipment & Technical”