Today's Announcements

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Weairy

Today's Announcements

#1 Postby Weairy » Mon May 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi All,

Trying to pick apart Dan Andrews' announcements this morning.

"Groups of 10, no more than 10, will be able to participate in outdoor activities, sports activities, recreational activities.

"Whether it be hiking, fishing, playing golf, going for a walk, kicking a footy.

"There will be obviously physical distancing and hygiene arrangements, commonsense basically."

So by my reckoning, this means we're allowed to have a practice shoot with up to 10 people in attendance again? Or are we going to have to wait for a specific announcement related to rifle ranges being allowed to open again? My argument, as always, is that the only difference between our sport and golf or lawn bowls is that our "golf clubs" go bang. Surely we're allowed to get some range time in now?
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

AlanF

Re: Today's Announcements

#2 Postby AlanF » Mon May 11, 2020 12:34 pm

I have it from a reliable source that the VRA will be issuing some advice on this in the next couple of days. I think we can say probably, but not definitely.

ajvanwyk

#3 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Weairy wrote:Hi All,

Trying to pick apart Dan Andrews' announcements this morning.

"Groups of 10, no more than 10, will be able to participate in outdoor activities, sports activities, recreational activities.

"Whether it be hiking, fishing, playing golf, going for a walk, kicking a footy.

"There will be obviously physical distancing and hygiene arrangements, commonsense basically."

So by my reckoning, this means we're allowed to have a practice shoot with up to 10 people in attendance again? Or are we going to have to wait for a specific announcement related to rifle ranges being allowed to open again? My argument, as always, is that the only difference between our sport and golf or lawn bowls is that our "golf clubs" go bang. Surely we're allowed to get some range time in now?

This is my personal opinion and not in any way linked to any communication from the NRAA nor VRA on this topic....

Our ranges were never closed due to specific restrictions on our sport or our activities. We chose to close our ranges due to government restrictions on non-essential travel, the number of people able to congregate and the fact that within our cohort we have members in higher categories of risk.

The easing of restrictions, in my opinion, provide scope for the opening of ranges, but only if clubs and shooters are able to closely manage participation in accordance with State and Federal guidelines.

I for one cannot wait to shoot some paper....
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

Trevor Rhodes

#4 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon May 11, 2020 1:19 pm

I heard Dan Andrews announcement and it was pretty clear sporting activities like golf, hiring, fishing, bootcamp with no more than 10 people distancing could go ahead. So I am loading up for Saturday . Bugger waiting for someone to debate yes we can or no we can't.

Weairy

#5 Postby Weairy » Mon May 11, 2020 1:26 pm

ajvanwyk wrote: Our ranges were never closed due to specific restrictions on our sport or our activities. We chose to close our ranges due to government restrictions on non-essential travel, the number of people able to congregate and the fact that within our cohort we have members in higher categories of risk

I thought at one point or another it was announced that rifle ranges were to be shut, around the same time as they shut playgrounds etc? And there was the temporary ban on all recreational firearms use (which I think has been lifted for vermin control?). I'm quite possibly wrong on this one, but I'm sure we had no choice in the matter...
Either way, it was the obvious and necessary decision to shut it all down for a period, but let's hope these announcements will get us a start again
Josh Weaire
Nagambie R.C.
I'm not Craig, if you want to contact him, email on c.weaire@bigpond.com

Rich4

#6 Postby Rich4 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Qld should be open from 12 June apparently, subject to hygiene restrictions of course, I think it will be up to individual clubs to have some sort of management plan in place though.

williada

#7 Postby williada » Mon May 11, 2020 1:45 pm

Below is a copy of the rules applying to Victoria sent to me by Travis

download/file.php?mode=view&id=3789

My view is that clubs are autonomous bodies if they are incorporated, and depending upon their insurance can make a decision under the guidelines in Victoria. We will seek further local police confirmation because the issue is ultimately an enforcement issue and prevents others complaining if they are not up to date. If 10 people can meet, then I would propose members could take it in turns week by week or split shooting into morning and afternoon sessions and ensure the limit of ten is not exceeded and safe distance is maintained. If there are more than ten in attendance, to do load development or hold a mini competition then late comers would have to go home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scott/r

#8 Postby scott/r » Mon May 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Rich4 wrote:Qld should be open from 12 June apparently, subject to hygiene restrictions of course, I think it will be up to individual clubs to have some sort of management plan in place though.

Rich4, did you mean 12th May? Hopefully June was a mistake.
QRA President has said on a club's facebook page info will be sent directly to clubs in a couple of days.
Hopefully it's good info because I'm starting to itch pretty bad.....
Scott.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Mon May 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Well done Dave. Looks quite clear cut for Victoria to me. We might bounce it off the Rosedale police.

Peter Hulett

#10 Postby Peter Hulett » Mon May 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Geelong is an indoor venue and as such will remain closed until at least June 6 as I understand it.

ajvanwyk

#11 Postby ajvanwyk » Mon May 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Message from the VRA Chairman:
Covid_19_11th_May_2020.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Good stuff Albert. So now "cleaning between shoots" doesn't just mean the barrel :D .

G.T

#13 Postby G.T » Mon May 11, 2020 3:12 pm

Just a little extra information regarding today’s announcement from the VIC government on the relaxing of Covid 19 social restrictions

“You can use toilet facilities connected to a permitted sport location. However, clubhouses, bars, eating areas, indoor sitting areas, showers and change facilities must remain closed. You should not drink from public drinking fountains.

Bars and restaurants can only remain open if it offers takeaway or delivery services – no sit-down meals or drinks are permitted.

The following principles have been developed to guide in the lifting of restrictions around recreation activity. Recreation activities can resume if:

you can keep your distance (at least 1.5 metres apart)
you are doing your activities in a public space; and
you are not competing (team vs team); and
it is a non-contact activity and you can keep 1.5 metres between yourself and others; and
you can do them with a maximum of 10 people.
https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sport-cultu ... restricted

I hope this information helps makes decisions on how people operate a little easier.

UL1700

#14 Postby UL1700 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:03 pm

ajvanwyk wrote:I for one cannot wait to shoot some paper....

Shooting ants whilst fireforming the next big thing starting to get a little dull? :D

James

Rich4

#15 Postby Rich4 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:14 pm

scott/r wrote:
Rich4 wrote:Qld should be open from 12 June apparently, subject to hygiene restrictions of course, I think it will be up to individual clubs to have some sort of management plan in place though.

Rich4, did you mean 12th May? Hopefully June was a mistake.
QRA President has said on a club's facebook page info will be sent directly to clubs in a couple of days.
Hopefully it's good info because I'm starting to itch pretty bad.....
Scott.

Non contact indoor and outdoor community sports recommencing on June 12 according to the email from my local Ssaa, I assumed that was from Qld gov, I’ll know more on Saturday

Return to “General Forum”