F standard knowledge help pleaae

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Wiseman7187

F standard knowledge help pleaae

#1 Postby Wiseman7187 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:52 am

First off I'll say I'm new ish to shooting and am currently waiting to get my licence so I can purchase my first rifle.
I'm planning to shoot .308 , most properly with a Lithgow la102 or la105 with a bipod, rear bag and a stoke eagle 5-25x vortex scope.
Based on my research the set up will weigh around 6-7kgs which I'm pretty sure if I read rules correctly (not 100%sure) .
But my main question is will this set up allow me to shoot in f standard?
I'd like to start there and I've made a personal choice to use bipod and bag as opposed to a solid bench rest ( think that's the wrong term for it).
I know I need to use a certain ammo grain for this class also but will try a few factory ammo when I get rifle together and see which it likes. And I plan to reload but not for a year or so at this stage.

Thank you for any info that will help.

Daniel w

argh

Re: F standard knowledge help pleaae

#2 Postby argh » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:16 am

You can certainly shoot that in FStd if you use 155gr projectiles. Your club should have factory ammo available for sale (most do) which is the NRAA ammo. Old stuff by winchester was good and cheapish (around $26 / box). Current new stuff is much more expensive unfortunately.

Other option is to use any ammo and shoot FTR. Rifle fits in fine to those rules. The outback ammo 168gr HPBT would be an OK start for factory ammo.

Third option is the newer F class Sporter/Hunter category, if your club runs it. This class is aimed at new members with sporting/hunting rifles with short barrels shot off folding bipods. Shoots on the Target rifle rings with max score of 5 and V which is twice as large as the 6 and X of fclass. Score out of 50 for 10 shots.

I know in our club we just shoot Standard and FTR, but are less concerned for newbies on what ammo they use if they turn up with factory rifles to start the sport.

JustinKLP

#3 Postby JustinKLP » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:43 am

You might want to consider a second focal plane scope instead of the Strike Eagle which is a first. You’ll find at higher magnifications your reticle will cover too much of the target, making things more difficult than they need to be.

Cliff Austen

#4 Postby Cliff Austen » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:58 am

Go to www.nraa.com.au
In the black bar at the top of the page you will see SSR's. click on this.
Then go to Chapter 20, page 100 and you will find all the rules relating to,
F Standard, F Open and FTR.
Enjoy your new adventure.
Cheers
Cliff

Gyro

#5 Postby Gyro » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:29 pm

JustinKLP wrote:You might want to consider a second focal plane scope instead of the Strike Eagle which is a first. You’ll find at higher magnifications your reticle will cover too much of the target, making things more difficult than they need to be.

I consider that a very practical reticle with good line thickness. It's finer than my March FFP and that's not too coarse. Some like the super fine reticles like on the Vortex Golden Eagle or the NF Comp. I sure don't.

Wiseman7187

#6 Postby Wiseman7187 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:43 pm

argh wrote:You can certainly shoot that in FStd if you use 155gr projectiles. Your club should have factory ammo available for sale (most do) which is the NRAA ammo. Old stuff by winchester was good and cheapish (around $26 / box). Current new stuff is much more expensive unfortunately.

Other option is to use any ammo and shoot FTR. Rifle fits in fine to those rules. The outback ammo 168gr HPBT would be an OK start for factory ammo.

Third option is the newer F class Sporter/Hunter category, if your club runs it. This class is aimed at new members with sporting/hunting rifles with short barrels shot off folding bipods. Shoots on the Target rifle rings with max score of 5 and V which is twice as large as the 6 and X of fclass. Score out of 50 for 10 shots.

I know in our club we just shoot Standard and FTR, but are less concerned for newbies on what ammo they use if they turn up with factory rifles to start the sport.

Is there a certain gr I need to be between using factory ammo? I was looking at Hornsby match 140gr. Or is 155gr the only one allowed in f standard.
F standard seems more like cause everyone has to use certain equipment it'll be more of a competition rather then ftr where more caliber and bullets are available.
Or am I reading rules won't and that's not the case?

Wiseman7187

#7 Postby Wiseman7187 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:45 pm

I am pretty sure my club runs the Hunter class now.

This may be a stupid question but can someone compete in multiple classes?
Like f standard with certain bullets and hunters class with muzzle and did ammo?

Wiseman7187

#8 Postby Wiseman7187 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:48 pm

JustinKLP wrote:You might want to consider a second focal plane scope instead of the Strike Eagle which is a first. You’ll find at higher magnifications your reticle will cover too much of the target, making things more difficult than they need to be.

I have already brought the scope actually, I nplanned to buy things I can until licence is through then I can buy rifle. Won't buy scope rings but till i have rifle and have an idea on height.

I went first focal as most I read was hunters use second focal for sizing for distance and if I have ffp I can use hold overs at any magnification. For closer and further as I'll be shooting from 300m to 1000m

Return to “General Forum”