Why International ?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Tony Z

Why International ?

#1 Postby Tony Z » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:41 am

edited 19/4/06
Last edited by Tony Z on Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:51 pm

You make a fair point Tony. And given that the US shooting community is probably the most powerful in its own country, it makes sense to align ourselves with the associations there.

But no matter what we do regarding international ties, it will all come to nothing if we don't arrest the decline in shooter numbers here in Australia. Politics is all public opinion, and if we don't have decent numbers of shooters throughout the community, the politicians will find it very easy to kill our sport. And in my opinion there is a lot more we could do as group and at club level in this regard. When I see the amount of energy and passion that has gone into discussing rules and equipment specs on these forums, its a great pity that more people can't channel that enthusiasm into attracting and helping new shooters into the sport. Most of us (including me) have been giving Tony Q a hard time for his forum behaviour, but his efforts with the "Scope Training Days" are an example we should be applauding, and doing similar things everywhere, before its too late.

Alan

AJ

#3 Postby AJ » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:31 pm

There is absolutely no question that the Government will act at some stage in the future. Connections to International disciplines will not ensure our protection but they will go a long way to justify our existence. As for ongoing growth it’s absolutely paramount that we find ways to re-educate and revert the downhill trend this country has endured over the past two decades, this should be an absolute priority in our thinking (including the NRAA and all State Bodies). These ‘scoped training days’ you highlight are an example of what can be done with a little dedication and lateral thinking, well done to all involved.
AJ

bruce moulds

#4 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:37 pm

well said guys!
and perhaps this suggestion.
i have for some time been thinking that the printing of obituaries as done in target rifle magazine is almost suggesting a culture of defeatism, or of facing the inevitible end of rifle shooting.
not that there is anything wrong with obituaries. it is just that they need to be balanced strongly with positive moving forward stuff.
thanks to the web i now don't have to waste time having this suggestion refused by the mag.
bruce

Return to “General Forum”