legal responsibilities of the website?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

legal responsibilities of the website?

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:08 pm

is there a way these can be avoided by allan. at the moment certain individuals seem to be able to dominate this site by threatening allan.
whatever their motives are, fclass is suffering.
does anyone have a suggestion as to how to protect allan from these people.
bruce.

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:10 am

Bruce,

Yes I have a suggestion Bruce, and its very simple. Don't make personal attacks on the forums. If you have a desperate need to call someone a #$%^*!?^, do it by E-mail, or phonecall. The forum even provides a perfect medium for doing it, Private Messages.

There have been two members banned for this reason. Because the aggrieved parties threatened legal action against the website (which means me personally) I am not prepared to risk my own financial well-being for the sake of a few people who after all, have done the wrong thing by stepping over the mark of acceptable forum behaviour. There is always a risk in doing that, and they have been unlucky enough to upset the wrong people.

You say that F-Class is suffering Bruce - well it would suffer more if this site became an all-in brawl of personal abuse.

Alan

Ken L

#3 Postby Ken L » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:24 am

I total agree Alan.
Beside we dont the forum from becoming a fully moderated forum and having all messages held in limbo untill the moderator comes back from a distant prize shoot to read all before they are posted to the website.

Ken L

bruce moulds

#4 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 pm

i'm not having a go at you allan.
it's just that i think it would be good for you to be protected.
one possible way would be that to qualify to go on the site, a person would have to sign a document stating that they, & they alone take total
responsibilityfor anything they say.
bruce.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:34 pm

Bruce,

When you register to join the forums, you agree to accept responsibility for what you say, but as with most things, there are grey areas. I don't know enough about the law, nor am I prepared to take the trouble (or pay the money) to find out exactly where things stand on individual cases. If someone threatens, and I have reasonable doubts about my position, then the alleged offender will be banned. If they want to get back on, they will need to convince the aggrieved party to agree to their being allowed back. I would expect that to involve an apology of some sort.

So don't worry on my account Bruce. The way things are at present its unlikely I'll be sued. From what you've said earlier you're more concerned about the banned members. If you are, then convince them to apologise to the satisfaction of the aggrieved parties.

Alan

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:12 pm

actually allan i am more concerned about you, but was tryig to engender a response from other people to suggest that this site, & you, should in no way be considered a battle ground for personal differences of opinion.
bruce.

RAVEN

#7 Postby RAVEN » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:28 pm

bruce moulds wrote:actually allan i am more concerned about you, but was tryig to engender a response from other people to suggest that this site, & you, should in no way be considered a battle ground for personal differences of opinion.
bruce.

Bruce I agree with that
I would make Alan's job alot easier if ppl played by the rules
RB :)

Return to “General Forum”