Where did you come from?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Ken L

Where did you come from?

#1 Postby Ken L » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:33 pm

In an attempt to find a suitable lure to attract more shooters to F Class I ask the following question.
You now shoot F Class either FS or FO. And I would like to know what did you shoot before taking up F Class.
Please indicate if you shoot FS or FO.

Did you shoot Fullbore, Bench rest, Small bore, Field Class rifle or as in my case it was rabbits and foxes or maybe nothing at all.

Ken L

mitchellchandler_au

#2 Postby mitchellchandler_au » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:39 pm

I started shooting ferals at a young age but moved into fullbore when I turned 14. At the age of 18 I went to F standard because I think that fullbore is dying and there is a future with the scopes.
Firepower usally means an increased number of misses per minute. 50 misses are not firepower. One hit is firepower

Lynn Otto

#3 Postby Lynn Otto » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:41 pm

For my mob:

Lynn shoots FS & FO - no previous participation
Trev shoots FO - hunting (occasional)
Mick shoots FO - no previous participation

Cochran

#4 Postby Cochran » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm

I was in a local club for a number of years and dabbled in all sorts of pistol shooting matches and shot a bit of rifle silhouette. I was never interested enough in any of them to advance beyond my local club. A few years ago a member of the club took me to a 1k range for the first time. We went to practice day and he showed me what F-class was all about. I knew this was my game.
Back then we didnt have FO and FS, it was just F-class. I knew I wanted to compete not just participate so I built my first custom rifle to compete against all the good shooters that I'd read about. I've stuck with FO even since.
I believe the best way to grow numbers is to find people who show interest and try to mentor them. Just as Richard did for me. The web is also a good way to get people to come out as long as we do all we can to make them comfortable when they show up at the range.
The one reservation I have is state and national events. This is not the place for first timers. Local clubs are the place for teaching.

Jeff

bully_eye

#5 Postby bully_eye » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:48 pm

I shoot FO. Did a bit of shooting at school in Cadets. Got my license and unintentionally started shooting Full Bore but was more attracted to scope shooting. Used to compete against myself- very badly- at the club with a 338 Lapua Magnum (sub 10kg and no muzzle break made it interesting), then F-class came around and I started shooting in that (not with the 338). I occasionally hunt and have an interest in long range benchrest shooting although I have not tried it as yet.

Michael

Tony Q

#6 Postby Tony Q » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:43 pm

I shoot F Standard and very occasionally F Open using a .300 win mag.

My shooting history is quite varied and started 30 years ago. Initially it was hunting rabbits and foxes with a .22RF and a .303. Then a stint in the Army had me pulling triggers on just about everything from 9mm to .50 cal.

Since then Pistol, Shotgun, BR, Lever Action, Military rifle and Archery have all come and gone and non had the draw FS has for me. I still dabble in some of the others, but very rarely.

I found F Class by accident and have never looked back. This is one reason we came up with our Training Days to get the Message out there.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

#7 Postby Guest » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:23 pm

Started shooting in 1956 both small bore and FB( 303) did not do much FB from '63 to '70 concentrated on Small bore. Resumed FB in 1970 with advent of Omark and continued both SB anf FB upto '84 when gave SB away when local club closed. Continued with FB until run out of optical devices to purchase to help me see Foresight. Got interested in FS about 2002 and decided that with my extreme Shortsight it's scope or nothing. My only regret is that F Class was not about 30 years ago.
Long live F Class.
Barry

pjifl

#8 Postby pjifl » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:42 pm

Started FB 1956 at 14 following a family tradition. This was in Brisbane - Enoggera.

Left Briz for a country post 1965. Shot off and on in Springsure until 1969 when I moved to a town with no active rifle club. Some hunting but I would just as soon use a camera.

In the late 80's helped to get a range up and running here and dabbled with Smallbore, AirRifle, Pistol and SSAA rifle events but decided to drive to the Atherton Tableland every week in about 1992 when I reentered FB shooting. This was a mecca for TR back then. I generally found short range shooting boring and there was little serious competition here.

About 5 yrs ago started FO shooting but still continued with TR as well. Usually shoot TR now only to make up a full team. Honing FO skills is a fulltime job and so TR is taking a back seat and suffering. My potential here is probably a low A grader.

Also aware of my body limitations more and more.

Why ? Many reasons. A new challenge. To prove that ex TR shooters can cut it with anyone. To investigate some new ideas I had about the optics of shooting and scopes. To give John Baxter some company and competition. Also to give some competition to a few other club members.
In the extreme summer heat in NQ, shooting without having to don a coat is pleasant and far more relaxed.

Peter Smith.

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:10 am

Was keen on hunting (roos for skins/carcass's, feral dogs and dingos)and general plinking at the range ,always trying to hit dirt clods out at the longer ranges with my field rifles. Playing at Bemont, I would check my hunting scope settings out to 600yds.Then I came across a full bore range in Brisbane and noticed a few shooters also shooting scoped rifles off bipods at long ranges. When I got talking to them , didnt think I was stupid for trying to hit small targets out at long ranges like others at the 100 meter range did. I knew straight away ,that F class was going to be the one for me, with a bit of playing around at rock throwing distance (100yds) for something to do.
Now I occaisionaly do F class standard to keep in practice (and check scope settings) with my 308 hunting rifle, but mainly F open due to the extra scope for experimenting.

ned kelly

#10 Postby ned kelly » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:44 pm

G'Day all,
started out with a .222 shooting rabbits and foxes on my Dad's farm, when he sold that, i kept my rifles and eventually Dazza set me straight on accuracy, sucked me into 100/200 benchrest for the last 10 years. When Dazza hooked up with Andy Drinkwater it was inevitable that I'd some day shoot f-class (FO) with my first match at Werribee at the VPRC earlier this year.
Cheerio Ned

RAVEN

#11 Postby RAVEN » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:14 pm

Started hunting and plinking with my farther at about 7years of age
Being raise in the country spot lighting was a weekend recreation.
Continued my hunting when I moved to the city at the age of 16 borrowing my farther Bruno .22 Mod2
Purchase my first centrefire at 17 and was reloading with in a few month never have purchased a packet of factory ammo since.
I hunted with .222 - 22/250 – 270-7mmRem Mag
Spent some years shooting simulated field shot gun and some trap and skeet.
Joined Monarto metallic silhouette club in about 1998 did not get much satisfaction trying to hit a metal target @ 500m off hand but still enjoy .22 silhouette and field rifle have competed at national and state level.
Was a member of S.A. Hunting and Conservation for a few years but could never get away hunting enough as I still had a great desire to use my centrefire I was introduced to F-Class by a forum member B. Moulds in about 2000 or 2001 never looked back since challenging and rewarding discipline with a great club atmosphere.
Cheers
RB
:)

steve300wby

#12 Postby steve300wby » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:52 pm

My Grandpa showed me how to shoot when i was about 4-5years old the thing i always remember is how he bragged about beeting Percy Pavey at 600 and 1000 yards at williamstown rifle range in the late 1920s or maybe early 1930s with the old 303...

Cheers
Steve

Return to “General Forum”