Thinking about entering the world of F-class

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

TheOtherLeft

Thinking about entering the world of F-class

#1 Postby TheOtherLeft » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm interested in giving F-Std a crack but am trying to get an idea of the cost of getting into the sport. I already shoot in Single Action which was very costly to start out due to having to buy 4 guns plus other misc costs - reloading, safe storage etc. At first glance F-std appears to be have a high cost barrier as well;
- min $1500 for an off-the-shelf rifle (Tikka/Savage) - I'm not real keen on going the OMark route,
- approx $1500 for a decent scope, base, rings etc,
- approx $500 for front/rear rest, mat etc.

I'm not accounting for ammo because that's an ongoing cost. So it's a minimum $3500 just to get to the shooting mound. Is this realistic or can it be done for less?

Cheers.

Roy cobb

Re: Thinking about entering the world of F-class

#2 Postby Roy cobb » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:17 am

You give it a go with just about any rifle as long as it meets the rules and then if you like it you go from there. We have members thst shot there hunting rifles snd don't goto bad. There is a saying Bring what you got. :)

tom1

#3 Postby tom1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:30 am

Don"t rule out getting hold of a well set up Omark. They are still very competitive.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:38 am

You could spend as little as $2000 and have something quite acceptable at club level e.g. Omark rifle, Lynx scope, Davies bipod. For a dedicated F-Class rifle I would choose an Omark before an off the shelf Savage/Remington every time. They may not be cool but they will generally outperform hunting actions. Most shooters who are competitive at Queens (State championship) level would spend much more than that. In F-Std a joystick rest will cost around $1000, and a custom built rifle using a quality target action, match grade barrel and F-Class stock at least $4000, scope and mounts minimum $1500, reloading gear approx $500. A few spend close to $10,000 when getting started. If you haven't shot F-Class, then I'd advise having a shoot with a club rifle and decide if you like it, and if you do, decide what level you want to get to and set your budget accordingly. If you think you'll be in it for the long haul then don't stuff around with cheap scopes and actions.

tom1

#5 Postby tom1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 am

Sound advice Alan. At the 2014 WARA Queens I was squadded with a young bloke who was shooting FTR with what looked like a hunting action type rifle, short barrel and a bipod. Out to 600 yards it shot quite well but after that his scores fell away. At 900 yds he was struggling to get his shots on the target. He didnt worry about shooting 1000 yds. But he wasnt that worried because he used the rifle for hunting as well. A well set up target rifle is great on the range but not suited for the hunting trip.
Keep an eye out on Used Guns they have second hand F class rifles for sale. There was a nice looking Omark set up for F class advertised on this website 10 days ago, I think it was sold in less than a week. Dont rush in and buy something that you find wont do what you want. Also be very wary of advice from gunshops that have no knowledge of any of the target shooting disciplnes.

TheOtherLeft

#6 Postby TheOtherLeft » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks for the advice.

I'll relook at the OMarks and have a chat with the local F-Class rifle club. At least I have an appreciation of the potential financial outlay.

Curiously, abusedguns currently have a few OMarks with custom barrels - 223/308. What's the chance of these barrels being shotout and hence needing a new one in the very near future? I realise it's a bit of a crystal ball exercise but I'm wondering why someone would sell a custom target rifle unless it's well used.

shooter mcreid

#7 Postby shooter mcreid » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:14 pm

It's impossible to know but there are genuine reasons for selling a good rifle, like upgrading or funding another project. I would recommend getting a good second hand f class rifle over a new factory.

tom1

#8 Postby tom1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:11 pm

I would only look at an Omark if it has the barrel adaptor with it . That will give you many options when time comes to rebarrel. If you are in the right spot at the right time you can find some very good rifles at clubs that have members who are retiring or updating or changing shooting disciplines. I would love to have a Barnard or RPA but I have a good Omark that shoots better than I can. Take a walk down the shooters mound when you are at the range. Take note of any Omarks and see how they go . As Alan said they may not be cool to impressionable new shooters but a good one will not let you down. Seeking advice from experienced target shooters is the key., not gun nuts who can quote BC, trajectory and any over figures that they source off some US gun website.

tom1

#9 Postby tom1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:05 pm

Typo error in my last post. should read _ any other figures, not any over figures. When I say target shooters I mean shooters with experience in any of the disciplines F Class std & Open F/TR and those of us who still persist in shooting off the elbows .

plumbs7

#10 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:37 pm

I have a Omrak that I bought for $350.00 that had been rebarreled 1996 before the gun laws changed. The owner never shot it again after that ! At a local OPM ( Warwick ) it shot I think from memory , at 88.7 at 600 yds. It's a brilliant rifle for top level B grade standard . A great rifle to start of! I started with a rem tact and it took me years to get that thing to shoot at a good level!
Looking back , should have stuck with the Omark . She has no scope on it at the moment. But I won't sell it! It shoots to good, makes a good club rifle !
Regards Graham.

Philski

#11 Postby Philski » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:39 am

Hi

I just finished my first year and planed to do it as cheap as i could. And got addicted to it,
Its a fantastic sport.
I ended up buying lots of things i can use in TR and F class. Stuff i will be able to use along the way. All in budget. I set a budget if that helps. What i can afford and what i want and need.

I spent my first year with a fantastic club rifle. $20 a week + sighters,,, a serious bargain.. and brought everything i could find online that will help my shooting, as cheap as i could along the way.
(disclaimer*) i got my first (mine) rifle yesterday. And my local gun shop in second hand,, flogged the online retailers for price and quality. support local if you can.

Total price for the first year for me. $800 for the entire year! including association memberships.

Most of my physical goodies where purchased on Gumtree, ebay or locally. The best things i could find, at the lowest price was my only real want. i have 6 kids and daddy shooting paper to bits from along way away, was rather hard to explain. silly kids.
One day Daddy will shoot things consistently, Far far away...
Some of my bargains,,

Field scope (meade) they make wicked astronomical telescopes $60
Miller leather shooting jacket in a size too small, so im locked in on the ground, $80 delivered.
Miller Fabric shooting jacket with new Anschutz sling and new'ish RH glove. $50 in a size about 10 sizes to many,, i wear it on hot days and i look like a goose,, but it works for me,
Press, Dies and all the gizmoes to load my own ammunition $220
Shooting mat $50

Plus a life time of experience handed to me on a plate, by simply awesome people in my own club and others right across this country.

Great sport.
Phillip

teddywaddy

#12 Postby teddywaddy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi What a great thought!!

It was a lot of fun when I was shooting the whole challenge of loading my own ammo, reading the wind and placing the shot.

I used to shoot with an Omark 223, it was a super rifle with a nightforce sope and I was very competitive at all distances including a couple of nice wins at the Vic Queens and other shoots. ( I did also have a lot of nice people mentoring me as well along the way)

My big mistake was upgrading to a 308, it was too big for my frame and cause a lot of damage to my shoulder hence why I no longer shoot competitively - even though I do consider having a another go every now and then IF I had a rifle!!

I wouldn't hesitate in getting another Omark so if anyone knows of a nice 223 laying around please get in touch :roll:

Good luck & good shooting :)

Rhonda

BenW

#13 Postby BenW » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:48 am

I can say I have been going for just over a year now as well. I started with a t3 lite in 6.5x55 and a 9 power scope as I had a match load ready for it, was I competitive against the other's in F class no, but it was a start until I worked out whether I was going to stay in the comp. I have an old O mark that came from one of the top Target shooters in the club, I already had reloading gear and bought as much as I could cheaply or second hand. That rifle has done 4 barrels and this one is up to about 3700 odd rounds and is still shooting well when I read the wind and mirage. That is one of the biggest things is reading the wind.
Oh and regarding the O Mark option this years NSW and ACT queens winner Geoff Willis shoots Omarks, his red flash is hard to beat ;)
thank god I'm B grade.

bsouthernau

#14 Postby bsouthernau » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:57 pm

Don' t knock Omarks at all. My third string Match Rifle is an Omark and the last time I took it out it shot a 75.10 at 1000yds.

GregW

#15 Postby GregW » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:20 pm

ON ACTIONS;-

The first thing we need to understand is that the type of action is totally unrelated to rifle accuracy, The accuracy is 100% contained within the barrel. If we could hold, sight, and fire the barrel, that's all we would need. The action merely allows us to connect the bits.

Omarks, Neilsens, and Angels were designed and built in Australia to shoot ADI ammo. The empty case was then sold as scrap brass. There is very little or no primary extraction built into either of these actions. However, a good tradesman can readily fix this. For anyone who does not know, primary extraction is the bolt handle "camming" on the ramp or bevel on the rear of the receiver. Actions such as Maddco, Davies, Musgrave, and Rem. 700, which have two locking lugs achieve very good primary extraction. The tolerances in machining required to achieve good primary extraction on three and four lug actions are of necessity much tighter and, of course expensive.

If you can pick up an Omark action for $5o or %100, add a quality trigger and an adaptor, you are looking at an action for $600 to$800 , which is pretty good.

There are often Musgraves and Angels being sold for around $1,000 to $1,200, and this is good buying.

Greg Warrian.

Return to “General Forum”