Passing of Cameron McEwan?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bsouthernau

Passing of Cameron McEwan?

#1 Postby bsouthernau » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:01 am

If what I see on Facebook is to be believed Cameron took his own life a few days ago. Can anyone confirm this?

Barry

johnk

Re: Passing of Cameron McEwan?

#2 Postby johnk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:19 am

True

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:47 am

That is very sad. One of the most liked and respected people in our sport. We're going to miss him big time.

DannyS

#4 Postby DannyS » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:05 am

Also , so sad for those around him, Xmas will never be the same.
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

BATattack

#5 Postby BATattack » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:19 am

No way!? :-( surly not?!

If this is true my thoughts go out to Julie and the rest of cams family and friends :-/

even though I live a long way from cam and had always shot in opposition to him he was always there to lend a hand or pass on experience and advice . . . . never a biased opinion just facts learnt through trial and error from someone that wanted to help elevate the sport.

williada

#6 Postby williada » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:23 am

So much to give and share.

bartman007

#7 Postby bartman007 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:01 am

Such a nice person to shoot with. He will be sadly missed!!!

My sincere condolences to Julie and family.
###

Josh Cox

#8 Postby Josh Cox » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:39 pm

Vale Cameron.

A day on the range was more fun with him there.

My thoughts are with Julie and family.

Quick

#9 Postby Quick » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Condolences to Julie and family. He will be missed by all.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

DenisA

#10 Postby DenisA » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:18 pm

F-class will never be the same.

Cam had such a warm, cheeky smile, always a friendly welcoming handshake and always gave kind encouraging words. A genuinely good person, a REAL gentleman, highly knowledgeable and an incredible F-classer. I loved being at PM's with Cam and Julie. Always looked forward to a shoot even more so knowing they would be there. I have so much admiration and respect for Cam and everything he's done. I'll miss Cam immensely. RIP Cam and thank you for so many things that you've imparted on so many people including myself.

My heart goes out to Julie and the whole family.

S.E QLD QRA fraternity has been devastated with both the loss of Cam and Lynn Sutton this Christmas. Condolences to all family members.

RIP Cam and Lynn.

Longranger

#11 Postby Longranger » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:15 pm

My condolences to Julie and her family on the loss of Cam. Our thoughts are with you.

plumbs7

#12 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:17 pm

DenisA wrote:F-class will never be the same.

Cam had such a warm, cheeky smile, always a friendly welcoming handshake and always gave kind encouraging words. A genuinely good person, a REAL gentleman, highly knowledgeable and an incredible F-classer. I loved being at PM's with Cam and Julie. Always looked forward to a shoot even more so knowing they would be there. I have so much admiration and respect for Cam and everything he's done. I'll miss Cam immensely. RIP Cam and thank you for so many things that you've imparted on so many people including myself.

My heart goes out to Julie and the whole family.

S.E QLD QRA fraternity has been devastated with both the loss of Cam and Lynn Sutton this Christmas. Condolences to all family members.

RIP Cam and Lynn.

I'm Rather speechless and hollow ! Denis u have said it nicely !

Tod7.62

#13 Postby Tod7.62 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Deepest condolences to you Julie and to your family.

Although I had only met Cameron and Julie a couple of times their encouragement and helpfulness was apparent from the start.

My thoughts are with you.

Tod Fleming

RAVEN

#14 Postby RAVEN » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:13 pm

My sincerest condolences to you Julie and to your family.
I will always remember Cameron for his wry smile and quiet demeanour.
A true Gentleman and respected fellow marksman.
Very, very sad indeed.
Richard Braund
:(

Marty

#15 Postby Marty » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:27 pm

You know, there a few times in ones life, and only a few, which leave a real impression. And I don't mean just a smile, or a laugh, I mean a really really deep mark, a turning point.

I didn't know what it would mean to me at the time or how profoundly I would remember the event, or why, but I will always remember one of the first times I met Cam. It was at the first Queens Prizes I ever attended in Brisbane. Having travelled all the way down from Cairns just to "have a shot in the big leagues", I was certainly a long way from home in Cairns. I met a great number of wonderful people on the way but one memory will always stand out, and I remember it vividly because it was the beginning of a wonderful friendship with one of the most generous and heartfelt men the planet has ever known.

Being way out of my depth and yet doing OK, I was neck and neck with this bloke from Dalby. Somewhere on day two, my barrel, with about 600 rounds down the tube started to develop vertical. Of course, back then, F Class shot on the 10 ring target and so, we F Classers were all lumped together on one lane. So Cam and I discussed the problems I was having and in spite of the fact that he and I were neck and neck, range by range, he gave me some advice. It is very important to remember that "back in the day" we all had a lot less technical knowledge or individual experience in managing our barrels and keeping them up to the accuracy levels F Class requires. So even though the advice seems like old hat now, back then it was cutting edge and was drawn from Cam's own vast depth of personal experience in the sport to that time. He didn't have to tell me, and in fact, if he hadn't, I would've been none the wiser anyway. But you know what, he told me anyway.

Cam advised me to JB the barrel. Not only that, but "short stroke it" to hit the carbon around the throat, which should fix your vertical problems. So I thought about that for a while and then my first question to Cam was, "What the f#ck is JB??". So ultimately, not only did he give me the advise, he got some of his own JB, wrapped a cloth around his own jag and showed me what he meant when he said "short stroke it". After he went out of his way to help me, using his own gear and basically doing the job for me, the vertical went away and I went on to win that Queens Prize. And, of course, winning that Queens also meant beating Cam on the way. Anyone that knows Cam will know that the story doesn't end there, because being who he was, not only did he do everything he could to essentially help someone to beat him, he was thrilled for me that I had won. And therein lies the deep deep mark that he left on me. Here was a man who was so generous and big hearted and the quintessential sportsman to boot, that he would do anything to help someone, even if it meant that person could or would ultimately beat him. And ultimately, to paraphrase Cam's own words, if he then went on to win, as a competitor and sportsman, he would then know that he had won on a level playing field and had truly earned the win.

Cam became what I consider to be one of my great mates and whilst I didn't know it right at the time, as I look back to that first time I met him, I realise now that it was a turning point in my life as it marked the beginning of our friendship.

After a few years passed I asked Cam what his recollections were of that first meeting. He said that when we first met, at first he didn't know how to take that c#nt from Cairns, but by f#ck could that bastard ever swear! In another way that also sums up Cam as the happy, funny and taking the piss kind of bloke we all knew and loved.

Fast forwarding now, the last time I saw Cam, he flew up to visit us in FNQ a few weeks ago. He stayed with Tracey and I for a week. Steve Laz, he and I spent a few days camping up on the Palmer River together and throughout the week in and out of CRM, seeing Shane and Dave out the back, wise cracking all the way. We had a wonderful time together. Happy days and cheeky as always. I will also treasure all the memories of all the times in between those two, which were also always filled with laughs and happiness as well as that wonderful challenge of fierce rivalry whilst going toe to toe with the man on the range.

As a shooter he was at the apex of the nation and indeed the world. As a team mate he gave it all for the team. As a man he was exceedingly generous. As a mate he was a larrikin. And as a friend, well, he was purely and simply, the best. And another thing, I don't mind telling anyone and everyone that I've had a few tears whilst reminiscing just now. But equally whilst thinking back, also quite a few smiles too.

We will respect, admire and love Cameron Reginald McEwan always. He was our friend.

Return to “General Forum”