complete noobie :)

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

PRedATor

complete noobie :)

#1 Postby PRedATor » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:11 pm

G'day fella's,

I'd like to try this F-class, Don't know which category open or standard, you guys might have to explain that to me.

Anyway I usually hunt and looking to put some holes in some paper now and again.

I have a Tikka T3 varmint 7mm Rem Mag with a bushnell elite 4200 4-16 x 50 that I'd like to use, but am in the process of finding a load that it likes, when I'm done I'd like to come along to a club and try this out.

I'm in Sedgwick, Vic.

cheers

rich

RAVEN

#2 Postby RAVEN » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi Pred
I started with a REM Sendero 7mm Rem Mag it was reasonable competitive at club level and is fine to start with once u become involved with a club in your area talk to as may ppl as possible this way you can work out which discipline you prefer F-Class Standard or F-Class Open.
I personal like to try new thing so F-Open was the 1 for me.
Basic explanation of the 2 categories
F-Standard limited to 2 cals .223 & .308 also restricted on projectile choice
F-OPEN no restrictions except weight of rifle

Alan Frazer may be the best person to contact for f-class info in you area
Hope this helps
Good Shooting
Cheers
RB :)

Paul Janzso

#3 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:15 am

Hi P and Raven

P the rifle you have will be fine, but does the scope have target turrets?

Also for the longer ranges, past 500-600meters you will need a 20min. rail to get the elevation you need for past 600meters.

The rail will not hinder your ability to hunt, it just angles the scope down to give you more elevation.

A harris 6inch canting benchrest by-pod and a rear sand bag is all you will need to get you started.

I would try the heaviest Sierra Match King bullets, you dont have to wring the highest velocity out of them, just a comfortable accurate load and let the high BC do its business.

Being in F Open you can add more weight to the inside of the but to help tame the recoil, you could make up some removable weights for use at the range and remove them for hunting.

If you are near Bendigo ,Geff Grenfell could make up a 20min tapered base and install it for you, he could also check the suitability of the throat for heavy projectiles.

I use a Tikka Tactical in 223 for F Standard, I shot it last weekend and scored 49,5. 49,5 at 600meters.
The Tikkas are very capable rifles.

Cheers
pest bird
:shock:

Let the fun begin
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

PRedATor

#4 Postby PRedATor » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:42 pm

thanks for the info guys. Noted.

My scope doesn't have target turrets, I'm not sure how much elevation there is left in it either.

I'm starting on loads using 140 grain projectiles for now and then I'll try the 160's.

Sam Walker

#5 Postby Sam Walker » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:56 am

If you make your first few tries at 300/400m you won't have to worry about the amount of elevation in your scope. If you enjoy those shoots then go looking for a tapered rail for the longs, and if you get really keen, a more suitable scope, and a heavy barreled rifle and.....etc
let us know how you go ?
cheers
Sam
Sam

Return to “General Forum”