Club Captains

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Trevor Rhodes

Club Captains

#1 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon May 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Do club members have a right to challenge the captain if they feel that a injustice on another member of the club and be discriminated and suspended for doing so.

johnk

Re: Club Captains

#2 Postby johnk » Mon May 09, 2016 5:04 pm

Do you have a constitution or bylaws - what does that say?

Don't know a club hereabouts where the captain wouldn't abide by the majority view.

Barry Davies

#3 Postby Barry Davies » Mon May 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Captains are not God ( some think they are )
Freedom of speech says you can.
If a constitution says you cannot say your piece then it needs changing as that would constitute a dictatorship, and we know where they lead.
Barry

Trevor Rhodes

#4 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Mon May 09, 2016 6:01 pm

The rules in our constitution are open to interpolations and there lies the problem when someone got the power to exploit.

Barry Davies

#5 Postby Barry Davies » Mon May 09, 2016 6:15 pm

John -- as a RO of some standing maybe you would care to comment on this rule--
Quote " All rifles used must be inspected by the RO prior to use and the RO has the right to refuse the use of any rifle that is deemed to be unsafe or unsuitable " unquote.
Barry

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Mon May 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Most SSR rules I'm aware of concerning firearm safety refer to ammunition, not firearms, however, Range Standing Orders might justify certain calibres being unacceptable. The rifle exceptions I would highlight as unusable are tested No4s with .308 Win spec ammunition (as compared to 7.62 Nato pressure loadings) & Sportco/Omarks fitted with other than the last model bolt retaining pin.

In this case, I wouldn't disagree with the stated rule, so long as the reasons for excluding any given firearm are fully explained. I have refused use of rifles myself, once based on calibre (that was prior to F class) & once because the SOB got oil in a handload, changing the burn rate to the degree that the primer self ejected & the backfire arced across the bolt face & blew off the extractor. Even so, I'm a tad surprised that the club rules include such a clause unless past experience warranted it.

In my opinion it would be a brave RO who would refuse use of a common breed of rifle.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Mon May 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:Do club members have a right to challenge the captain if they feel that a injustice on another member of the club and be discriminated and suspended for doing so.

The normal process would be to call a general meeting. In our rules of incorporation if 30% of members want a special meeting to be held they can force the issue on the executive committee. You could make the business of the meeting to address an injustice by a member of the executive. With enough membership support you could even have the perpetrator(s) removed from office.

Trevor Rhodes

#8 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Tue May 10, 2016 10:18 am

Not quiet clear cut as that,the problem with meetings are those members that are on the books that you never see or know, but certain people has there contacts and manipulate them into giving them their proxies which is used to shore up their vote to keep in power.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Tue May 10, 2016 11:33 am

Just forcing a discussion about it at a meeting should be enough surely? The key is to go there armed with facts.

Musgrave

#10 Postby Musgrave » Wed May 11, 2016 12:00 pm

Sounds like a problem we had at a large fishing club in Melbourne of a family taking control of a club, took some doing, but we managed to change the constitution so that only 1 member of a family could be on the committee at anytime. Gave the members back control and is now a far better club ,with all members allowing there contact details to be available to other members via a list of contacts in the clubrooms
The family soon left the club because their little empire no longer existed
Bill

Chopper

#11 Postby Chopper » Wed May 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Does this have to be talked about on Oz, ? talk to ITA , bit depressing, and Not our problem here. Chop

LoneRider

#12 Postby LoneRider » Wed May 11, 2016 10:02 pm

could be my club,could be your club.
depressing to you ?
how do ya think this guy feels ?
its open for discussion to help clarify positions.
help solve an issue that could be in anybodys club.

Trevor Rhodes

#13 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Thu May 12, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks Lonerider, if Chopper feels depressed and if he was in a club like this he would be frustrated as well seeing new member walking away because of tensions with in the club and watch the club whither away. This is our future as shooters to encourage new members and retain existing as it is every bodies responsibility to protect us from ourselves and I will use any media available to try to solve this and other issue. Most people are aware of what is happened.

bsouthernau

#14 Postby bsouthernau » Fri May 13, 2016 9:43 am

Trevor Rhodes wrote:.... Most people are aware of what is happened.

Only vaguely from following the discussion here. Might be better informed after I've been to Stawell this weekend.

Barry

Ducky

#15 Postby Ducky » Fri May 13, 2016 9:06 pm

Trevor Rhodes wrote:Do club members have a right to challenge the captain if they feel that a injustice on another member of the club and be discriminated and suspended for doing so.

Club members have the rights to hold a meeting and vote " no confidence" against the captain and request he's to stand down from his position and the vice stands in till a new captain is elected. Members are the ones that control what happens in their clubs....not one person
Kevin
Gatton-Glenore Grove Rifle Club Inc.
QRA NRAA

Return to “General Forum”