rear bag contents

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

browniedog

rear bag contents

#1 Postby browniedog » Mon May 16, 2016 7:15 am

Hi All
I have received a rear bag to do some load testing what do I fill it with

Thanks
David

KHGS

Re: rear bag contents

#2 Postby KHGS » Mon May 16, 2016 8:04 am

browniedog wrote:Hi All
I have received a rear bag to do some load testing what do I fill it with

Thanks
David

Garnet, also known as "heavy sand" it is a bead blasting media & not dusty like regular sand.
Keith H.

bartman007

#3 Postby bartman007 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:02 am

I go for Ilmenite.

You can get it from SuperCheap Auto for a cheap price.

It comes in small white buckets, and is heavier than the Garnet.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations
###

williada

#4 Postby williada » Mon May 16, 2016 12:06 pm

I've got a few kilos of lead shot mixed with the Super Cheap gear Michael mentions in my bag base. But the ears are only filled with the Super Cheap stuff. If the better heavier sands are not as readily available, you can mix some talcum powder with fine ordinary sand to assist it to flow into the bag through a small funnel.

Cutanything

#5 Postby Cutanything » Mon May 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Supercheap option does not come out so cheap $25 for 10kg over garnet at $28 for 30kg the maths dont add up

DenisA

#6 Postby DenisA » Tue May 17, 2016 8:53 am

Cutanything wrote:Supercheap option does not come out so cheap $25 for 10kg over garnet at $28 for 30kg the maths dont add up

I filled my first 2 SEB bigfoots with Supercheap ilmenite and I've filled my latest bigfoot with garnet, The ilmenite is finer and more dense allowing better packing, therefore my first 2 bags are 2kg's heavier than the garnet filled bag.
The garnet filled bag doesn't move under a 300wsm so its still a good option but I prefer the extra weight.

I will only use ilmenite again if I need a 4th bag :shock: :lol: .

KHGS

#7 Postby KHGS » Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 am

DenisA wrote:
Cutanything wrote:Supercheap option does not come out so cheap $25 for 10kg over garnet at $28 for 30kg the maths dont add up

I filled my first 2 SEB bigfoots with Supercheap ilmenite and I've filled my latest bigfoot with garnet, The ilmenite is finer and more dense allowing better packing, therefore my first 2 bags are 2kg's heavier than the garnet filled bag.
The garnet filled bag doesn't move under a 300wsm so its still a good option but I prefer the extra weight.

I will only use ilmenite again if I need a 4th bag :shock: :lol: .

The very fine medias can (over time) work out through the stitching!! Everything is a compromise.
Keith H.

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 am

That's the truth Keith. I've found that a bucket of the Supercheap ilmenite will fill a SEB bigfoot and leave 1kg (guess) spare which comes in handy if topping up down the track is needed. But the rate of leakage is extremely slow.

jasmay

#9 Postby jasmay » Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 am

I've filled bags with several options over the years, I 2nd Denis suggestion of ilmenite, however, if you can get lead shot do about 80%lead and the rest ilmenite, this has been the most stable to date for me.

bartman007

#10 Postby bartman007 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:52 am

Supercheap option does not come out so cheap $25 for 10kg over garnet at $28 for 30kg the maths dont add up

It's all relative, and so is the outcome :)

When you pay over $100 for a bag, then $25 to fill it isn't unreasonable. Garnet is OK, however having used both I don't consider saving a couple of bucks is worth the time and effort.

Keith is right about the nature of the ilmenite being very fine, and sometimes leaking. However, the container has enough left over for years of top ups. I haven't had to do mine yet.
###

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Tue May 17, 2016 12:53 pm

I have been saying for a while that there should be a limit on the weights of both front and rear rests. Its one of those things that will get harder and harder to do because weights just keep increasing. My rear bag is filled with lead shot and zircon sand and is about the weight of a car battery, and it hardly moves on any surface, but my back is suffering :( .

jasmay

#12 Postby jasmay » Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 pm

AlanF wrote:I have been saying for a while that there should be a limit on the weights of both front and rear rests. Its one of those things that will get harder and harder to do because weights just keep increasing. My rear bag is filled with lead shot and zircon sand and is about the weight of a car battery, and it hardly moves on any surface, but my back is suffering :( .

Back to the rice filled squeeze bag Alan...... :wink:

browniedog

#13 Postby browniedog » Thu May 19, 2016 7:47 am

thanks everyone for the input has anyone ever filled with rice and garnet just an idea

thanks david

Gerard

#14 Postby Gerard » Thu May 19, 2016 11:28 am

Yes, I was just about to comment. I suggest you DONT fill it with rice :)
Well, it may depend on your usage.

I made my own for shooting long range with a front VersaPod and filled it with rice, but if you squeeze the bag to adjust elevation (you of course may not do that in F class, with an appropriate front bipod) the effect is jerky movements... not suitable.
Also... if it gets wet you may have expansion problems ;)

But in the event of leaving your lunch at home, a bag full of rice may come in handy!

If I was doing it again I would go with round fill, BB's sound good.

Thankfully I have now discovered Fullbore Target rifle and leave my edible rear bag for stabilising my spotting scope only :)

Return to “General Forum”