Tassie Not Looking Good

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Tassie Not Looking Good

#1 Postby AlanF » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 pm

I believe that Tassie is about to have a ban placed on any rifle that resembles an assault rifle, regardless of action type or magazine capacity. As it was put to me anything with a protruding pistol grip, skeletised metal frame or fore-end shroud may be affected. Has anyone else heard this?

NDOliver

Re: Tassie Not Looking Good

#2 Postby NDOliver » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:57 pm

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks - no I hadn't seen that. I was speaking to a Tassie F-Class shooter who thinks a high proportion of F-Class and Match Rifle shooters, both local and visiting, will be affected.

NDOliver

#4 Postby NDOliver » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:48 am

The article does refer to "uncertainties" arising and it may well be that outlawing adjustable TR/F Class and air rifle stocks with pistol grips, should this proceed further, would be an unintended consequence. Perhaps a matter for our shooting associations to get across and counter with appropriate submissions, if not already done, as well as for individual submissions.

Whilst the closing date for submissions is stated as 29 July 2016, late submissions may still be received and considered.

firearms.services@police.tas.gov.au.

Peter L

#5 Postby Peter L » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:03 am

NRAA wonders why the numbers of shooters go south!Well,my question is this:Don't you guys think that NRAA should get up and be a bit like NRA(National Rifle Association of America)?This is pathetic.

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:26 am

What information do you have on what NRAA's involvement in this is?

Peter L

#7 Postby Peter L » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:33 pm

That's what I said!No involvement at all!!!NRA is very active protecting firearm owners rights.So what is NRAA doing?

johnk

#8 Postby johnk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:09 pm

And I asked how you knew that.

TOM

#9 Postby TOM » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Well, have they become involved?

Peter L

#10 Postby Peter L » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:15 pm

As far as I know they haven't.Who is supposed to get involved and talk to politicians?NRAA and SSAA.If the government managed to do that in Tasmania,then wait for the issue to move up north to the rest of Australia.

plumbs7

#11 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 pm

From Shooters Union Qld!

The absurdity surrounding firearm legislation in this country has reached epidemic proportions when a gun can be banned simply for looking similar to another gun, but that is exactly what is being proposed in Tasmania at this very moment.

Take a look at the proposed amendments to the Firearms Act of 1996 - in particular point 6.

Firearms Act 1996 - Schedule 1
The following firearms are prohibited firearms:

1. Any machine gun, sub-machine gun or other firearm capable of propelling projectiles in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger
2. Any self-loading rim-fire rifle.
3. Any self-loading centre-fire rifle.
4. Any self-loading shotgun
5. Any pump action shotgun.

6.#### Any firearm that substantially duplicates in appearance a firearm referred to in item 1

7. Any firearm to which there is attached any article or device capable of muffling, reducing or stopping the noise created by firing the firearm.
8. A pistol that is of a reduced or an abridged size.
9. Any firearm or part of a firearm which has a dimension less than the prescribed minimum dimension.
10. A prohibited pistol
11. Any ex-military firearm that is a firearm in relation to which a firearm licence may not be issued.
12. Any ordnance
http://www.firearmscouncil.org.au/index ... crackdown/
The Shooters Union has compiled a submission to the Tasmanian Police and The Honourable Marinus Hidding - the Minister for Police and Emergency Management) to comment on the review and put our opinions forward in the hopes of affecting legislative change.

Please read an executive summary of our submission here.
Help us to put pressure on Tasmania's Members of Parliament to support the fair treatment of our Tassie friends... Please contact your local member as well as the Tasmanian Members of Parliament now.

We will keep you informed regarding updates on this topic. Please share with your friends via social media.

The Shooters Union Team.
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/0 ... n-extended

This is the same thing that was proposed and thankfully tossed out up here in Qld . From memory it even went as far as thumb hole stocks. And the basic statement " if it looks like a cat d weapon , then it can be deemed a cat d weapon by the ( subjective ) enforcement officer.
The above is just very poor ignoramus left wing legislation!
Tasi , first with the ferry laws and now this ? At the Nats half of the rifles would be ban going to that state , including the Fopen Champ's rifle !
One just gets tired of defending our sport .
In the past , what 18 months ago we've had a Greens led senate inquiry ( which didn't go their way for the Greens). The Natianal firearms agreement revision with lever or "moffw " with the Adler 7 shot shot gun , which is still ongoing !
Countless gun phobic ads and appearances from The less than morally bankrupt Gun Control Australia, who just spred lies or at best mis-information.
Then Port Aurther Victoms used as political , emotive pawns for GCA. May I add , the recent attack in Nice France used a Truck with over double the Victoms of Port Aurther .

In Crime stats , less than 2% of violent crimes committed with a firearm are committed by LAFO'S!

Maybe knives should be registered and only open to licensed users with a restriction on class and length (cal)??
Every morning of late there has been a stabbing . The Stats would be quite interesting on knife related murders and violence!
I'm sorry for getting a little hot under the collar ! But fairs , fair. This is blatant discrimination against Law abiding citizens and our sport who are being treated like criminals!
Again sorry for being a little outspoken. :oops:
Last edited by plumbs7 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnk

#12 Postby johnk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:23 pm

What leads you to believe that you can legally possess a knife?

plumbs7

#13 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:31 pm

johnk wrote:What leads you to believe that you can legally possess a knife?

Good point John , earlier this year one of our own was charged for a class M weapon and not being licensed for such a weapon. Believe it or not he was charged for having a Stanley knife on his table . The police also charged him for other stupid weapons offences that , he went to court for and won . It cost him a lot of money to clear his name but yep a stanly knife !

johnk

#14 Postby johnk » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:49 pm

Happens I was talking to him today.

jasmay

#15 Postby jasmay » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Yes, I'm sure that one was all about a stanly knife.... =D>

Return to “General Forum”