Range incident today

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

BATattack

Re: Range incident today

#16 Postby BATattack » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:16 am

Id be staying well away from anyone who mounts a scope like that! Shows that at least one link in the chain has NFI!

I'm glad it wasn't worse

scott/r

#17 Postby scott/r » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:20 am

Wow, glad you had your back to him. The mausers are normally a very good action. I'm not sure how he got the bolt shut, because the extractor should be on the right hand side of the bolt and what's left of it is poking out of the left side.
On a brighter side, be thankful that it didn't happen to be the Tikka beside it. It probably would have hand granaded if he put the wrong ammo in it.

DenisA

#18 Postby DenisA » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:19 am

scott/r wrote:Wow, glad you had your back to him. The mausers are normally a very good action. I'm not sure how he got the bolt shut, because the extractor should be on the right hand side of the bolt and what's left of it is poking out of the left side.
On a brighter side, be thankful that it didn't happen to be the Tikka beside it. It probably would have hand granaded if he put the wrong ammo in it.

The extractor was on the R/H side, that's why it hit me. That piece of metal sticking up on the left is the extractor retaining clip I'm pretty sure that is normally curled around the bolt????

ShaneG

#19 Postby ShaneG » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 am

Denis may have been tongue in cheek in the initial reference but may I point out the obvious ?
This was not F Class!

DenisA

#20 Postby DenisA » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:21 pm

ShaneG wrote:Denis may have been tongue in cheek in the initial reference but may I point out the obvious ?
This was not F Class!

:lol:

It was definitely a tongue in cheek reference to my other tongue in cheek thread "F-class..... the sport".

But me being there load testing was in the name of F-class...........

So I have been wounded physically and emotionally for F-class, I took a extractor claw for the team :D Can I have a medal or something..

KHGS

#21 Postby KHGS » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:40 pm

DenisA wrote:The receiver was chrome plated. You can see the chrome peeling off at the top. There was a chrome flake on my bench afterwards.
Does chrome plating weaken metal Keith?

Chroming can cause hydrogen entrapment which can make the unit that is chromed brittle. Not a good thing for rifle receivers.
Keith H.

johnk

#22 Postby johnk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:52 pm

DenisA wrote:I took a extractor claw for the team Can I have a medal or something..

http://www.military.com/topics/purple-heart

timothi3197

#23 Postby timothi3197 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:30 pm

You're a lucky man.

98 mausers are supposed to vent excess gas through the magazine aren't they? This one has stayed together under extreme pressure going by the receiver and it has all come out the extractor groove bringing the extractor claw with it? I can't believe how much chrome has come off, the receiver ring must have flexed so much?
Could the magazine have been sealed off gas tight by conversion to a single shot?

Anyone that uses self drilling screws and solder to secure a rear scope mount could hardly be called a competent gunsmith?

Other people often scare me on the mound, especially those Match rifle dudes.

mike H

#24 Postby mike H » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:50 am

Timothy, please delete me from your register of alleged dangerous Match Rifle dudes
Mike Halloran.

plumbs7

#25 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:56 am

Wow, glad ur ok mate ! Brings things into focus ! Especially how some of us push the outer boundaries of pressure ( little room for error) ! Regards Graham!
Ps I hope the other guy is ok too!
Also nice Dad Bod Denis :lol:

DenisA

#26 Postby DenisA » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:17 am

plumbs7 wrote:Also nice Dad Bod Denis :lol:

Bahahaha, well you'll have to excuse me, I am only a "National Sports Athlete", I don't have the finely chiselled sculpture that you "International Sports Athletes" have. :lol:

Baturb

#27 Postby Baturb » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:38 pm

What is the lug between the barrel and receiver ring

macguru

#28 Postby macguru » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Can we find out:

1. What went wrong ?
2. How is the poor shooter ?
3. Should we all be using safety glasses ?

Andrew
id quod est

johnk

#29 Postby johnk » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:00 pm

macguru wrote:Should we all be using safety glasses ?

Aren't you?

SunnyCoast 5r

#30 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Unfortunate turn of events.

What safety glasses should we be wearing? I have trouble seeing through my scope with my current reading glasses so shoot without any protection.
Are these sorts of blow ups common enough to warrant glasses?

I shoot a Remington 700 and have never even considered what would happen with a dud round...just never seeing it happen has made me complacent.

Hope everyone recovers ok.

Return to “General Forum”