new too Fclass

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

watto72

new too Fclass

#1 Postby watto72 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 am

Hi Guys, I have a Question relating too , which calibre to choose being new too F Class shooting I was thinking 7mm or something similar that will still have the punch of a 308 but without the kick and to maintain a flatter trajectory over 300 to 800 . but Will be good for reloading down the track .
Any feedback appreciated , I'm sure there will be plenty ,
Thanks in advance watto72

AlanF

Re: new too Fclass

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 am

Welcome to ozfclass watto.

Sounds like you have a rifle in mind and are deciding what calibre?

If you want to go straight to a competitive F-Open 7mm from the start then there are many important aspects you should decide on before buying anything. These include which 7mm chambering, barrel brand, profile, twist rate, stock and bedding method, scope model and reticule type. And with reloading gear it may set you back $6-7K.

If you can't afford that then probably better to go F-Std (223 or 308) initially where low budget setups are more common, and there is grading. Your question seemed to indicate you won't reload initially. This is another reason for going 308 and not 7mm. You can buy factory target ammunition for F-Std calibres, but its not a practical proposition to buy 7mm target ammo. What little is available is very expensive.

Regardless of which way you go, there's plenty of good information in the Equipment & Technical part of this forum, and you can ask as many questions as you like.

Steve N

#3 Postby Steve N » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:22 am

Welcome Watto.
I would like to add to what Alan has said and say don't rush in to anything! Dont buy a tacticool rifle from the local gun shop that the bloke behind the counter recommends. Contact your local club and introduce yourself. If you are not sure where they are ask on here and someone should be able to point you in the right direction.
Many clubs have rifles that new members can use while getting set up and you will get a chance to see what others are using. If I had done this originally it would have saved me plenty of money buying stuff that was not quite right. This includes rifles, scopes, rests, front and rear bags, bipods etc. You may even find that one of the members has a used rifle and scope that will give good service. There are quite a few used Omarks around that are very competitive and great value if bought for the right price. The sport is great fun but can be a lot more enjoyable with an accurate rifle and the right scope.

Sorry Watto I just reread your post and my answer is probably not get relevant. There is a post at the top of the Equipment and Technical section with recommendations for calibers that shows the 284 Win probably the most popular but as Alan has said factory ammo is not really an option for F Open.

Steve.

shooter mcreid

#4 Postby shooter mcreid » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:57 am

Hello watto, an excellent place to start in f open is the 6.5x47L. Pretty much everything you have described you want in a cal. I have seen these very accurate to 1000y, i use a necked down 6mm version of the cal which is a little different but very fun. The recoil in an f open gun that is close to weight is laughable
Another to consider is the 7-08 (7mm using a 308 case) the obvious advantage being case availability, quality and price. You will need to neck it down. Watch out if you choose this one as graham sells will chew your ear off with information about it

plumbs7

#5 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Yep I will! :roll:
Hi mate , I agree with my mate Shooter Mac. But will also say f standard is one of the best places to learn to reload as the .308 and 155's are so easy to tune . It's also a great class to learn wind reading . As if / when you go to a 6.5 or 7 mm you really notice the difference with the former and .308's.
But most of all will most likely make some lifelong friends that keep u coming back to the sport!
:D

Return to “General Forum”