New blow off shot rules

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RMc

Re: New blow off shot rules

#16 Postby RMc » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Steve
Canberra traditionally have had a session the day before the leadup where you can shoot a range or two, usually at a distance that is not going to be used in the competition.

Richard

Steve N

#17 Postby Steve N » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:50 pm

[/quote]
No sorry mate closed all next week :^o :^o 8) :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yeah thanks Matt :D

Paul Janzso

#18 Postby Paul Janzso » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:50 pm

Pants on fire Matt
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Chopper

#19 Postby Chopper » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:47 pm

I have seen FB and FC shooters come into the ssaa at ACT in the morning and blow off shots before the Queens, if you are a top shooter , learn about your barrel and wind the sights, [-X Chop , ps keep your ears open this year. [-X

RDavies

#20 Postby RDavies » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Chopper wrote:I have seen FB and FC shooters come into the ssaa at ACT in the morning and blow off shots before the Queens, if you are a top shooter , learn about your barrel and wind the sights, [-X Chop , ps keep your ears open this year. [-X

I would like to be a top shooter one day so which way do I wind the sights on barrels which throw random shots for the first 8 shots in no predictable direction?
I think the new ruling is a step in the right direction and would like to see some form of blow off or fouling session available so as not to tempt those dodgy types who might otherwise fire their blow off shots on the way to the range.

plumbs7

#21 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 am

Every barrel is different! I think for me being out in the bush I can pre foul quite easily and do so! But some barrels will go off over a queens and other will just get better without cleaning . So if you have to clean you may be in a spot of bother ! A number of times I've heard some shooters say " cleaning the barrel and not fowling before the 800 yds cost me the queens or opm.

On that note , would an extra sighter on the first range of the day be a good compromise?

As most barrel come pretty good after 2 shots!??

johnk

#22 Postby johnk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:27 am

RDavies wrote:those dodgy types who might otherwise fire their blow off shots on the way to the range.

Never happens round Brisbane.

williada

#23 Postby williada » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:07 pm

Always thought the old FOpen rules had it right with 3 sighters. Its not just fouling, the barrel likes to get to an operating temperature. Also like to get sighters off in quick succession to hasten warmup.

David B

#24 Postby David B » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:12 pm

The Late Billy Martin used to refer to the Zero Queens at Belmont. Was regularly won by a Canberra shooter according to Billy

Chopper

#25 Postby Chopper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:06 pm

???? Chop

Chopper

#26 Postby Chopper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Blow off shots are legal, on the way as Many do, but the rule for memory was not 1 hour before competition, Who cares ? if the barrel wanted 8 foulers, Rod, must be an old Shultz barrel ,Big Bore , but they would shoot a Queens without a clean, and when you finished , you just oiled to stop rust, small targets now and you dont get away with it ,if you have a barrel today that takes 8 sighters , Send it back , I have and have had them replaced, if you have an 8 fouler barrel , buy Fatter projectiles , Chop

Chopper

#27 Postby Chopper » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:41 pm

Many Talk about the projectile Brand and Ogive , But many do not talk about the OD, ? if your barrel takes 8 foulers , its big inside , today , two foulers should do, and you should be able to clean and know it will walk up ? Thats a good barrel ? I think, Chop

RDavies

#28 Postby RDavies » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:48 am

Chopper wrote:Many Talk about the projectile Brand and Ogive , But many do not talk about the OD, ? if your barrel takes 8 foulers , its big inside , today , two foulers should do, and you should be able to clean and know it will walk up ? Thats a good barrel ? I think, Chop

I will send this latest 8 shot shot fouler back when it has worn out. I have now had 2-3 barrels which took 8 shots before they settled down and both were different brand and caliber but both were set aside as Queens, fly or 1000yd barrels as they were some of the best I had. With either of them I could , and did do a full Queens without cleaning and they got better as they went, usually winning the final range. By contrast I have the same make and caliber barrels which settle in straight away and shoot great from the start with 2nd shot in the middle of the group, but need to be cleaned every range or 2. Most other barrels are somewhere in between.

AlanF

#29 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:11 am

The best barrel I've been lucky enough to get was exactly what Rod is describing. Its done bugger all for me since Raton where we had unlimited foulers. Some say that part of the skill is to manage clean barrel problems. Unfortunately in some cases that involves ditching the barrel. If a rule change helps shooters get the maximum potential from their equipment, and doesn't hurt anyone, then I'm all for it.

jasmay

#30 Postby jasmay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 pm

johnk wrote:
RDavies wrote:those dodgy types who might otherwise fire their blow off shots on the way to the range.

Never happens round Brisbane.

I can usually pick up on sarcasm, but this one has me confused..... If you believe this doesn't happen, you probably believe we never went to the moon......

Return to “General Forum”