International NRAA teams funding & fundraising.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

International NRAA teams funding & fundraising.

#1 Postby DenisA » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:27 am

To start off, I'm not raising this topic for my own advantage. Time wise, I'm not in a position to shoot overseas and probably never will be.

Looking at the topic though I'm interested in what the situation is now and what needs to happen to get it to where it should be in the future. By that I'm looking at the American Team that has sponsors and support.. I also know I don't have all the facts.

Do the NRAA and state associations contribute to the costs in the lead up to and for the event of an FCWC?

Does the international squad have to pay range fee's for squad training?

Does the Australian team have any sponsors?

Does the NRAA have a FCWC committee or something like that?

Are teams from other countries sponsored and funded to any degree by their national association or such?

Ideally, I think FCWC teams should be fully funded by the NRAA and state associations. Maybe sponsorship in terms of donating a set rifles, scopes and tuned ammunition specifically for the event, owned by the NRAA. They may only come out for use once a team has been selected.
It only happens every four years so there's a hell of a lot of advertising and endorsing of the sponsors and their products that could be given in that time frame by the NRAA and state associations.

I realise that the NRAA needs to get the coin from somewhere. A dedicated committee with a plan working together over 4 years for sponsorship and funding should be able to raise the money required to make this happen I would think. To be clear, I'm not talking about asking for members donations at every event.

Speaking of needing coin, this is one of those important situations for F-Class that should be a certain way and isn't because our membership numbers are too low. Enter all the other "increasing membership" debates discussed elsewhere.

I believe its a realistic idea.
Last edited by DenisA on Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

shooter mcreid

Re: International FCWC teams and funding?

#2 Postby shooter mcreid » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:52 am

This is a little off topic but could be of worth to some of the people selected to go. I know many of the government owned companies and corporations have provisions in their working agreements that offer help to any employee who is competing at national or international level. An example of what I have seen is each employee is entitled to a weeks free leave per year to attend such events. basically a weeks pay which would go along way to helping. I know this will probably only help a few but its worth asking your employer if selected.

ShaneG

#3 Postby ShaneG » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:30 pm

Would it be fair to ask for proportional funding for the international F Class Teams in comparison to Target Rifle support?
Currently we are seeing approx 25 % of Queens attendees being of the international F Class disciplines.
Would it not be fair then to have at least 50% financial support of that given to Targte Rifle?

jasmay

#4 Postby jasmay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:09 pm

Shane, I think you may be onto something there.

Surely state associations (If the NRAA truly are struggling financially) could support its members that are heading O.S. to a world championships financially.

Now don't get me wrong, I know some state associations support us with range fee's for practice sessions etc. but I am talking more of the big expenses we bare ourselves to participate.

Perhaps it would also be a positive in the fact it gives members and prospective members something to strive for and look up to.

The SSAA sponsor some of their disciplines quite heavily, I have actually found it quite staggering what they offer there top Rimfire BR shooters to travel, and that is every 2 years.

We will grow, it just takes time.

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:17 pm

ShaneG wrote:Would it be fair to ask for proportional funding for the international F Class Teams in comparison to Target Rifle support?
Currently we are seeing approx 25 % of Queens attendees being of the international F Class disciplines.

They are. All our teams are self funded, because NRAA shooters, as a body, were no longer prepared to fund team shooting & decided many years ago that they weren't prepared to pay a levy for that purpose. For example: http://www.nraa.com.au/nomination-capta ... -veterans/

The NRAA are calling for suitable candidates to fill the positions of CAPTAIN in each of the above teams to represent Australia at the PALMA MATCH being held in New Zealand from 26th January to the 11th February 2019.
This is a self-funded Green Blazer Coat of Arms Team. Please forward your request for the NRAA Nomination Form to the NRAA office at nominations@nraa.com.au or download from the NRAA web site http://www.nraa.com.au .

plumbs7

#6 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Good topic Denis. Us Aussies are good at what we do with bugger all help! That's what made 2013 even more amazing! You know , the Yanks were that cocky of a win they even printed that in their promotional stuff !

They were mostly self funded ! As we maybe too this time round! And that's just how it is !

Just in development squad I've spent over $7000.00 in gear , barrels ,scopes and front rests ! But I've got a good return on then in that if my journey ends here , I won't need anything for a long time !
I thank God that I've been able to afford it ! So all good !

We so far have only had to pay for markers but not range fees . Qra have supported us there!

Hopefully there will be good sponsorship of the defending FO team .

Ps also Wildog has given a fair bit of his time to even give me a crack at teams ! Very good gunsmith too!
Also 7 mm .com has also helped out too! "Bartlein Barrels , yet to see a crook one !"
Last edited by plumbs7 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DenisA

#7 Postby DenisA » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:22 pm

jasmay wrote:We will grow, it just takes time.

But it needs member participation, activists, relentless until change happens, otherwise it never will.

There have many great topics over the years that have come up on this forum and discussed in depth as if the forum thread itself was going to make some kind of difference. Some have faded away and some have been swept under the rug in my opinion.

In terms of fund raising, it doesn't always have to be shooting related.
Belmont has fantastic amenities. Surely in a 4 year period there could be dinners, fetes, what about live bands....

I doubt simply putting our hand out would get us anywhere. Surely appointing a FCWC committee is not asking too much..

SuperV

#8 Postby SuperV » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Guys why just fcwc why isn't there funding and sponsorship for every team. I know a lot of young TR shooters that don't nominate for teams as the $ just don't stretch far enough

SunnyCoast 5r

#9 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Funding the 'elite' end of any sport is a delicate subject because by definition not everyone is going to have the opportunity to compete at that level...so in my view competitors need to be either self-funded or sponsored by entities other than the club shooters.
If we are talking government funding then the reality is we are a niche sport. I would personally like to see more spent allowing disadvantaged athletes to compete at elite levels: funding for the para Olympics is a priority in my view. Maximum community benefit for our buck. Their need is greater than mine in terms of having a life-affirming goal.
Having said that I thought the raffle for f class was a good idea as people feel they can voluntarily contribute and maybe get a win too!
If we are to use membership dollars (ie levies) to subsidise international competitors then we would need to clearly communicate to every club shooter how our whole association is better for it. And I think that might be difficult.
Australian sporting culture has been shaped by adversity...why should our champions have it easy?!

SunnyCoast 5r

#10 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Another thought about sponsorship: why don't we ALL support some Australian manufacturer/s of projectiles and brass instead of buying the overseas stuff (even if it means some short term drop in our scores & increase in our costs)?? If the yanks are getting sponsored by the Berger/Lapua conglomerate why should we subsidise them?
I know this sounds bonkers but what incentive is there to sponsor us? We are a very small market but if we put as much of our consumables purchases as possible into local manufacturers then maybe we might have businesses in a position to put something back.
Would our scores be that much worse? Or are we all just striving for tiny improvements in our performance without considering our collective purchasing power?
Has the Bertram brass for the .284 been ok? Why not get them to make batches of other cals too?

There might be more interest from a well supported, Australian company if we supported them well!

How about we agree to support companies like Lithgow to use their locally made actions for (international) target comp even if the first generation models are not perfect instead of buying expensive imported ones? On another thread on this forum there was a pretty mixed reaction to that suggestion despite the lack of a persuasive argument about the absolute evidence that the action is a major contributor to accuracy anyway!
And yes I realise Thales is owned by overseas interests; and companies like Winchester are American but at least they support our sport.

Last time I checked an equipment list from any of our comps there is a surprising commonality...not much local content except for the odd stock or two; some bipods; and some barrels.

Are the team shirts locally produced?

On a lighter note I think I just decided on my FTR build. With a Nightforce scope. Bugger.

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Comes to that, this site has a number of sponsors. Surely we should support them, but then again, do we have a list of them? The logos flashed up at the top of the page only gives us 2 at a time.

SunnyCoast 5r

#12 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Good point Johnk...I will check them out more carefully in the future. Having a forum like this is crucial to the future of the sport so we do owe them at least our consideration.
Does the NRAA / QRA etc publish a list of sponsors too?

Tim L

#13 Postby Tim L » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:22 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Another thought about sponsorship: why don't we ALL support some Australian manufacturer/s of projectiles and brass instead of buying the overseas stuff (even if it means some short term drop in our scores & increase in our costs)?? If the yanks are getting sponsored by the Berger/Lapua conglomerate why should we subsidise them?
I know this sounds bonkers but what incentive is there to sponsor us? We are a very small market but if we put as much of our consumables purchases as possible into local manufacturers then maybe we might have businesses in a position to put something back.
Would our scores be that much worse? Or are we all just striving for tiny improvements in our performance without considering our collective purchasing power?
Has the Bertram brass for the .284 been ok? Why not get them to make batches of other cals too?

There might be more interest from a well supported, Australian company if we supported them well!

How about we agree to support companies like Lithgow to use their locally made actions for (international) target comp even if the first generation models are not perfect instead of buying expensive imported ones? On another thread on this forum there was a pretty mixed reaction to that suggestion despite the lack of a persuasive argument about the absolute evidence that the action is a major contributor to accuracy anyway!
And yes I realise Thales is owned by overseas interests; and companies like Winchester are American but at least they support our sport.

Last time I checked an equipment list from any of our comps there is a surprising commonality...not much local content except for the odd stock or two; some bipods; and some barrels.

Are the team shirts locally produced?

On a lighter note I think I just decided on my FTR build. With a Nightforce scope. Bugger.

That's ok. Nightforce is Australian owned.
Building an FTR rig. Have you spoken to LNB precision?
Peter is making complete rifles. Actions and stocks. Barrel from Maddco? stocks also from Wild dog, Bob Eager, Phill Masten, alluminium or wood. Bolly doing carbon fibre.
ADI brass (from the Outback ammo range).
We certainly have the ability to put Aussie gear on the mound.
If only SEBs gear weren't so bloody good!

Can Bertram make 308 palmer brass?

SuperV

#14 Postby SuperV » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:23 pm

+1 to the Palma brass

DenisA

#15 Postby DenisA » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:15 pm

What about Bertram 7 RSAUM?

I'm pretty surprised. I thought a lot more people would feel this topic was important.

Probably the exact reason that nothings been done in the past.

Return to “General Forum”