Major Forum Changes

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

ajvanwyk

Re: Major Forum Changes

#31 Postby ajvanwyk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 pm

GrahamW wrote: today I installed a calendar/event system on the demo forum, please take a look and have a play with it.

Eventually I envisage all events being posted and added to the calendar and simply the dates updated annually.

Bloody Brilliant !! Graham, I am buying you beer when I see you next ! I recon this is even better than I first thought. The upcoming event blobs is a great idea, especially for those more forgetful members ;-)
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

GrahamW

#32 Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 am

Calendar Update...

I have changed the posting layout of the calendar so you no longer need to click the Calendar Tab.

When posting a new event the Calendar details (Name, Type, Dates) are always visible above the editor window.

8-)

PS. For those using smart phones, I realise the Upcoming Events list at the top isn't very compatible with smaller screens.
I will be working to improve this.

GrahamW

#33 Postby GrahamW » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 pm

OK, made some changes to the new forums.

1) Now when mousing over a Topic title/link you get a popup preview of the First & Last post.

2) I've upgraded the LIKE system to include topic/post ratings.

You can check it out here --> General Forum

You should now see some of the topics with Gold Stars and a % rating.
Ratings are calculated as a % of whichever post has the highest number of Likes.

When viewing a post you'll see the Green Thumbs Up icon on the right, click it to Like a post.
Once you've Liked a post the icon will be a Red Thumbs Down, click it to remove your Like.

In the Quick Links menu (top left navbar) there's a "Likes List" & a "Posts toplist" which shows some Likes statistics.
Also within each users profile it shows a list of Given/Received Likes.

Please head over to the new demo forums to check it out and post back here any comments/suggestions.

Cheers, 8-)
Last edited by GrahamW on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnk

#34 Postby johnk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 pm

My default entry into the current web site, along with about every one I frequent, is through the View New Posts option. That way, I'm able to scan the updates & trot through them. However, I've never found an option that permits me to read the ones I want to read & then mark the lot as read, so I have a new table of posts when I come on board. It's a common feature I use on other forums - Fora? - aah, bloody web sites.

Will that option be available on the new Forum software?

GrahamW

#35 Postby GrahamW » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 pm

johnk wrote:My default entry into the current web site, along with about every one I frequent, is through the View New Posts option. That way, I'm able to scan the updates & trot through them. However, I've never found an option that permits me to read the ones I want to read & then mark the lot as read, so I have a new table of posts when I come on board. It's a common feature I use on other forums - Fora? - aah, bloody web sites.

Will that option be available on the new Forum software?

Hi John,

Yes, you'll still be able to enter via whichever page or search option you prefer.

On the new forums, the New Posts & Unread Posts links are in the Quick Links tab in the top left menubar.

quicklinks.png

Simply click the page you want (ie. New Posts or Unread Posts) and once it loads Bookmark that page.
Then just use that bookmark when you visit the forums.

The "Mark Forums Read" option is only visible on the main "Forums" index page.
(Right hand side under the date/time)

markforumsread.png

(Mmm after looking at that I think I'll highlight it a bit so it's a little less hidden..)

8-)

PS. John, do you normally use computer, tablet or phone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

johnk

#36 Postby johnk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Computer, so I can concentrate on real time when I'm on the range. :roll:

ajvanwyk

#37 Postby ajvanwyk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:25 am

johnk wrote: an option that permits me to read the ones I want to read & then mark the lot as read, so I have a new table of posts when I come on board.

If the like feature was available on the site I would "like" this comment. To expand on it, In the current iteration, the post is only marked as read once you've scrolled through all the available pages. I can see how this could be a good feature if you interested in the topic and want to make sure that you read all of the content. For topics however that may be not be, it becomes a little tedious to try and get those unwanted posts looking as read ;-)

Thank you for adding the feature.

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

jasmay

#38 Postby jasmay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:28 am

I've found the new format fairly unfriendly to smart phones, the old was very easy to navigate, especially the forum screen as you could see all topics very easy.

Jase PTRC

#39 Postby Jase PTRC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:57 am

jasmay wrote:I've found the new format fairly unfriendly to smart phones, the old was very easy to navigate, especially the forum screen as you could see all topics very easy.

Works pretty well from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), I can see all the topics. what phone do you have?

GrahamW

#40 Postby GrahamW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 am

Jase PTRC wrote:
jasmay wrote:I've found the new format fairly unfriendly to smart phones, the old was very easy to navigate, especially the forum screen as you could see all topics very easy.

Works pretty well from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), I can see all the topics. what phone do you have?

Hi jasmay, what is it you find unfriendly?
Is it because the Topics are separated into individual headings?
This does mean you need to scroll a bit more to see them all, but I found that a very minor difference.

I would also be interested to know what mobile you use (screen size etc.)

I only have a cheap ZTE with a fairly standard (4.5 inch diagonal) screen, here's how it looks to me.....

Current forums.
com.png

New forums.
xyz.png

Once you click in to read a post the layout is much the same.

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jasmay

#41 Postby jasmay » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:19 pm

I have an I-Phone 6

I'll take some screen shots and resize them for upload when I get time.

On the current forum clicking through you can see most things within the one screen, on the new as you click you are constantly needing to resize and recenter to see the topics and comments etc.

Return to “General Forum”