Help from Nsw lawyer or police please

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

John23

Help from Nsw lawyer or police please

#1 Postby John23 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:31 pm

G'day guys

Long story short

Today I had my stepson (16 years old) flip out tried to attack me .
I restrained him until he said it was over and then punched me in the face .

He called 000 screaming like bloody murder and withing 5 mins I had 5-6 cop cars out the front of my home and then rushing the house .

Lucky my wife was home and we both gave statements and my stepson was taken away in cuffs and they put a mild restraining order on him .
A order to get counciling or something like that as I did not want to put charges on him.

The cops took my rifles for 28 days and said not to worry as it is simply a proceedure they have to follow .

Although I was not happy about it I simply complied and removed scopes and packed everything up for them .
They said I am not in the wrong and not to stress

They left me with my ammo , bolts , reloading components and were pretty easy going .

Now with that background story I hope you can maybe point me in the right direction.

Will I simply get my rifles back in 28 days ?
Do I have faith in the legal system or am I heading for a expensive legal battle to get back what rightfully belongs to me ?

Is there anything I can do to help the thing go smoothly and let me get back to my sport ?

Thanks in advance

Chopper

Re: Help from Nsw lawyer or police please

#2 Postby Chopper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:05 pm

Dont panick if you have done nothing wrong, they are not silly and see both sides, its a proceedure, and takes time, You are not the first, or last, sometimes I think its good, Chop

Sydneywizard

#3 Postby Sydneywizard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:23 am

What an awful situation for you. If you need to get some advice, there is a "firearms lawyer" who advertisers in one of the gun magazines that offers a no obligation assessment. Let me know if you want me to scan the ad and PM it to you. Good luck.

John23

#4 Postby John23 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks to both of you

All good .

Though chance my wife ran into a old friend today who happens to be a cop whilst we are at the shops today .

She reenforced with no charges on me ect that I need not to worry and to call the cops a few days before the 28 days is up to arrange collection.

Fingers crossed that the system works

lonerider43

#5 Postby lonerider43 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:43 am

my dad went through a similar thing with a wayward nephew.
he got all his rifles back,no problems.

sean.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

willow

#6 Postby willow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:11 pm

John23 wrote:Thanks to both of you

All good .

Though chance my wife ran into a old friend today who happens to be a cop whilst we are at the shops today .

She reenforced with no charges on me ect that I need not to worry and to call the cops a few days before the 28 days is up to arrange collection.

Fingers crossed that the system works

You should be right John, as your friend mentioned, it's simply precaution and one of the many processes the State Police have to follow. Just save up for some powder and projectiles in the meantime and celebrate next month when you get the boomsticks back.

John23

#7 Postby John23 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 pm

The irony of the legal system is they found a way to caution the boy and dropped the Avo.
So essentially

*I had a attempted assault on me .
*The cops called on me and falsely accused of doing no good.
*Got my youngest placed on the children of danger list
*had my rifles removed and now miss the fly nationals at baitmans bay (a trip me and a mate were going on)
*the embarrassment of having my house raided in front of all my neighbors and having family members
Hand cuffed in my front yard like we are white trash.

So without a better choice of words the system "F"d me and my stepson got a caution and life's goes on.....

Sad irony is a story like this is probably not out of the normal these days

Thanks for your advice and support .
I am going to meet with the cops this week and talk to the registry and see some common sense could be supplied and I can have my rights/privileges returned as I am not suspended from my license and have done nothing wrong .

They told me they take the rifles to let people cool down .
They forgot my license and when I called to see if they would like to collect it from me .
They said don't worry and to hold onto it .

Now for everyone's safety I have a license and a current cat b pts on the fridge :...

My head hurts and I need to lye down .
Applying logic and common sense to the current system leaves me confused and frazzled

RDavies

#8 Postby RDavies » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Yep, really inspires confidence in the legal system in Australia doesn't it. People no longer have the respect for it that they used to. Some of the stories I have heard from totally law abiding citizens have me scratching my head.

Tod7.62

#9 Postby Tod7.62 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi John, I hope everything turns out ok and I'm sure it will.

Don't do you head in over it.

As a victim of a cowardly serious assault I know there is no justice in the legal system.

But then it is better than anarchy.

Keep you chin up mate.

Cheers Tod

John23

#10 Postby John23 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Cheers !

All good I don't get stressed very often and this has whole thing has not been enough to get me worked up.

I was more worried that I may have been complacent and ended up doing too little too late .

The other occasion I have had such great service from the cops is when i had the same guy skid out of control and take out a fence at a place I used to live in TWICE!!

The first time he backed out and got away

The second he got himself into more of a jam and I got the chance to confront him.
I got his details and called the cops .

They said they would send someone out (5mins from the cop shop)
about 5 hours later I called again and was told they were coming .

3 days later I called again and asked if they would like to come and do some Police work .
I got told I would have to come down and make a statement.

So even with the guys details , damage to the property and a dick head that purposely tried to drive well over his ability or intelligence that was still on the road was too inconvenient for them to come and do anything .

All you can do is laugh...
Laughable in a very sad way

Then to top it off I bought some confetti revolvers from Kmart .
Shot my wife and the thing must have been loaded with 50gr or 2213sc

Went off like a cannon and hurt and burned her leg .lol !!
The household was a safer place before my safe got
Emptied and i chased my shooting fix with $2.50 party death cannons

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:33 pm

John23 wrote:Cheers !

All good I don't get stressed very often and this has whole thing has not been enough to get me worked up.

I was more worried that I may have been complacent and ended up doing too little too late .

The other occasion I have had such great service from the cops is when i had the same guy skid out of control and take out a fence at a place I used to live in TWICE!!

The first time he backed out and got away

The second he got himself into more of a jam and I got the chance to confront him.
I got his details and called the cops .

They said they would send someone out (5mins from the cop shop)
about 5 hours later I called again and was told they were coming .

3 days later I called again and asked if they would like to come and do some Police work .
I got told I would have to come down and make a statement.

So even with the guys details , damage to the property and a dick head that purposely tried to drive well over his ability or intelligence that was still on the road was too inconvenient for them to come and do anything .

All you can do is laugh...
Laughable in a very sad way

Then to top it off I bought some confetti revolvers from Kmart .
Shot my wife and the thing must have been loaded with 50gr or 2213sc

Went off like a cannon and hurt and burned her leg .lol !!
The household was a safer place before my safe got
Emptied and i chased my shooting fix with $2.50 party death cannons

Tch, tch, tch. You went about it the wrong way. If you want the plod there straight away, tell em he was exceeding the speed limit by 10kmh at the time (either the assault or fence wrecking) and they would be much more interested.

Tim N

#12 Postby Tim N » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 am

It's a shame to miss the fly shoot, can you arrange to shoot a friends gun?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Return to “General Forum”